How often do you weight in?

Options
It's probably really bad of me, but I can't help but weigh in daily. I'm too impatient and can't wait to lose the weight!

Anyway, I've been staying within my daily calories for six days now, and have lost 8 lbs in that time (yay me!).

I know it'll probably slow down and the first week is usually the biggest loss, but my two questions for you guys are:

How often do you weigh in?

and

Can anyone recommend any foods that speed up weight loss?

Thanks x

Replies

• fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have tried monthly but recently it has been daily just because I like to know the numbers. When I was doing it monthly, it was more of a guessing game and I had to trust that I was doing everything correctly. I think daily is more motivating especially if you know you have been good and see a loss on the scales.

Well done on the weight loss.
  • liawilliams123
    Options
    Everyday! i like to know what im doing well and what im doing wrong!
  • Aljn27
    Aljn27 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I weigh in atleast once a week hope this helps :smile:
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If you want to weight in every day that's cool but personally I only log my weight once a week. Other people do it even less. Any weight loss or gain in the course of a couple days is water weight/food weight so in order to get a legitimate number I just weigh in Sunday mornings (Today yay) and record my weight then. I normally weigh every day just because I'm curious about how different things affect my weight but I don't log it every day
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day.

I know of no foods that speed up weight loss.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    every week or two on a proffessional drug store scale before breakfast and after a BM.

except the scale is out of comission right now. so its been like 3 almost 4 weeks.

I REALLY NEED A GOOD WEIGH!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

yes, all of them... just less of them.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The foods that speed up weight loss are the ones you DON'T eat.

I weigh every day so I understand what my body is doing day by day. If it's down I'm happy, if it's up I use that as motivation.
    I only record when I lose a pound.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've tried weighing weekly and monthly and it just doesn't work for me. I get off track. I weigh daily and record my new weight on here once a week. That said, not everyone can weigh daily. Some get discouraged when their weight fluctuates up or get too obsessed with the number. Me, I just like to see how certain foods affect my body, what days of the week are low weight and high weight days, etc. And this whole week my weight has fluctuated up 3 pounds. In the past that would have caused me to stop and think that what I was doing wasn't working, but now I know that it happens every once in a while because I'm used to the pattern.
  • emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was weighing once a week, then twice a week, now every day. I like to know the numbers and keep track though, and any fluctuations just make me more determined to do a good day!

I only tend to record my weight once or twice a week though (Sunday and Wednesday usually).
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I've tried weighing weekly and monthly and it just doesn't work for me. I get off track. I weigh daily and record my new weight on here once a week. That said, not everyone can weigh daily. Some get discouraged when their weight fluctuates up or get too obsessed with the number. Me, I just like to see how certain foods affect my body, what days of the week are low weight and high weight days, etc. And this whole week my weight has fluctuated up 3 pounds. In the past that would have caused me to stop and think that what I was doing wasn't working, but now I know that it happens every once in a while because I'm used to the pattern.

I am the same. I like to see the numbers but I don't allow myself to stress over it. Last week I had lost a pound and then gained it back the next day. I didn't worry about it and by friday I had lost it again. Like you said above, it makes me aware of how certain foods affect my body.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Daily. It keeps me motivated. It is not what I eat that works for weight loss, it what I don't eat. No sodas, no processed foods, no plain salt (Mortons Lite Salt for me).
  • SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week, on a Friday morning. Green tea is supposed to help speed up your metabolism. :)
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The foods that speed up weight loss are the ones you DON'T eat.

I weigh every day so I understand what my body is doing day by day. If it's down I'm happy, if it's up I use that as motivation.
    I only record when I lose a pound.

^^^^ I'm the same as this. I use a fitbit aria that updates MFP automatically. I don't alway like what I see on the scale and I know it doesn't tell the whole story but it does motivate me if I'm up in weight to work harder
  • cliff948
    cliff948 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday after getting dressed but before breakfast. However, I only log it on MFP on Monday mornings.
    For me it is CARBS that seem to cause the most weight gain.
    Cliff {:{)
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's probably really bad of me, but I can't help but weigh in daily. I'm too impatient and can't wait to lose the weight!

Anyway, I've been staying within my daily calories for six days now, and have lost 8 lbs in that time (yay me!).

I know it'll probably slow down and the first week is usually the biggest loss, but my two questions for you guys are:

How often do you weigh in?

and

Thanks x
    Congratulations on your weight loss! Weighing myself weekly used to be my pattern until I added weight lifting. Now, the scale hasn't budged at all, but I've lost inches. In fact yesterday got rid of two pairs of jeans. At first this switch really messed with my head, because I've always measured my health by the number on the scale. Now I have to go by my clothes, how I feel, and how I look in the mirror.
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I weigh in and measure waist and hips once a week.
    Best way to speed up fat loss (I did not say weight loss) is to incorporate strength training - build muscle and it will burn fat off.
    Often weight lost is water weight, don't get discouraged in weeks to come when you do not see difference on scale.

With 8lb lost most likely you lost some water weight, especially if you cut back on salty food. Sometimes we just get bloated, and scale does not move, or move up.

Stick with your program and fat will melt off.
  • csharp62
    csharp62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and I have the fitbit Aria Scale so it is automatically recorded and uploaded to MFP and fitbit. Knowing that my weight loss or gain will automatically recorded and that my friends can see it gives me the motivation to stay on track. There are day to day fluctuations (obviously I hate the ones that fluctuate up!), but I've gotten used to it, so I don't freak out. It actually has become interesting to see how weight loss progresses. Thanksgiving fluctuation won't be so much fun, but I've come to realize I can stay on track over the long haul if I don't obsess when I'm going to go off plan, as long as I make sure that it is only for a day and I am right back on plan the next day! I also don't go off plan for more than a day. We'll see if that hold true for thanksgiving week!
  • time4changexx
    time4changexx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I weigh in twice a day: when I first wake up and when I go to sleep. I record the average as my progress on mfp every Sunday. This helps me determine what makes my weight fluctuate most. I record each day on a calendar , purple for all time low, green if its better than the previous day, red if it went up.

Foods, good lean proteins, whole grains, veggies. Just stick with the perimeter of the grocery store
  • Isabella_De_Santis
    Options
    I weigh in on a daily basis & log whenever i lose weight.
    Weighing myself everyday keeps me motivated to stick to working out & eating healthy, by looking at the scale every morning i remind myself to not eat the junk that made me gain all of this weight in the first place because i don't want ever want to see the numbers go up again.