Help! ): I could definitely use some insight!

Options
I am feeling so unmotivated. I haven’t lost anything in over two weeks. I keep bouncing between 192 and 190, occasionally showing 188 on the scale but never twice in a row. I’ve been as low as 184 a couple of months ago and I don’t understand what I’m doing differently. I’ve been monitoring everything I’ve been eating and I’ve been diligent. I go over my calories on occasion and some of my choices have not been smart (weaning myself off of fast food, ugh) but by my estimates, I’m eating in a deficit.

I’m 191lbs (on average), female, 22 years old, 5 foot 5 inches and I usually do little to no exercise.

I’m eating an average of 1,500 calories a day and a majority of it is good food - which is much less than I used to (prior, I was eating 2,400+ calories a day).

Can someone give me some insight? I generally eat good things, I eat vegetables, fruit, nuts, lean meat, grain products but a lot of Starbucks (midterms these past few weeks so my intake has been high; I try to pick low sugar and low calorie options; sometimes my mama brings me one that isn't so good for me) .. a couple of months ago, I lost 15lbs doing exactly what I am doing now (including moderate eating of junk food, as I don't believe in cutting something out completely) but I exercised often (at least 3 or 4 times a week), which I am not doing now.

Is exercise my issue? Could that be what the difference is?

My understanding of the science of it is that with a deficit of calories, I should be capable of losing weight without exercise (not that I want to long-term, as I love to exercise, it’s just been a stressful couple of weeks with midterms).

But maybe the small amount of fast food and poor choices is preventing loss?

Or maybe my inactivity is causing it?

Is it hindering me that much?

Any help would be so appreciated. I try to understanding TDEE and BMR but always end up a little backwards. :laugh:

What do you guys think? :) My food diary is open (I openly admit the last two days have been awful - my wonderful family keeps bringing me junk and I eat it, haha).

I'd like some constructive advice as to how to tweak what I've already changed and maybe some insight as to whether exercise might be my missing key. I am totally open to honest opinions but please be courteous. :laugh:

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Running your stats it appears you burn somewhere around 2,000 calories just living a sedentary lifestyle.

So eating at 1500 calories puts you at 1lb/wk loss, which is fine. Eating foods that you don't prepare yourself could be the problem, you have a 500 calorie margin of error and the deficit could slowly dwindle on some days... then again I guess it could go in the opposite direction too. I don't know.

The most effective thing for me losing my weight was creating a deficit through exercise, in my opinion. Why don't you want to exercise? Sorry if you already mentioned it and I just glossed over it. I bet if you found a nice routine that worked for you, you would see constant results.

Exercise and try to prepare your own meals... that's my advice.
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I do love exercise. And usually I do! I've just fallen into a slump the last couple of weeks (nearing a month, really) between midterms, a headcold and that time of the month, I've just been lagging. I've worked out once or twice a week and not very eagerly. :laugh: So I don't count it at all. I will definitely be getting back into some exercise habits (I love to hike and burn an average of 400-500 on an average day doing so, three or four times a week, but until last week, it's been 95-98 degrees and impossible weather - now that's it's cooler I really need to make the time and get back to it!)

I definitely appreciate your feedback - I've been cooking at home a lot lately (there was a year span in which my family and I NEVER cooked - EVER. So it's been a work in progress to get them used to eating at home too! :smile: ) but I definitely need to do it much more regularly.

It's no excuse but with all of my semester projects and papers coming due, I've bought a couple of quick, decent meals that are processed but nutritionally sound overall to throw together on busy days. It's better than fast food but without exercise it seems ineffective!

I think tomorrow I'm going to set my alarm for 8am, get up and try to get myself into gear again.
  • SweetCheekszx0
    SweetCheekszx0 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my weight will bounce in a similar sense in a seven day span then between 4-5 days later ill lose it in a chunk.. And it'll read my lowest weight of the previous days before,, so say I stepped on and got 145 148 146.2 after the 10 days or so ill step on and be 145 .. Lol I lose oddly in chunks not just -2 every seven days lol
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    honestly it sounds like exercise is precisely the problem since that is the only variable that changed. you were losing and now you're not. you were exercising, now you aren't. one thing to consider is that exercise doesn't just burn calories, it also aides your metabolism. my metabolism is slower than molasses without exercise.

make the time to exercise if you want to break your plateau. if your schedule won't allow you to do that, consider this hectic time as living at maintenence until you are ready to resume your weightloss.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i have no helpful advice to offer you cause i know essentially nothing about weight loss, but good luck on your midterms and i hope you can overcome this slump.
  • Stripple
    Stripple Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Stress can hinder weight loss, so can TOTM (. Bloating etc)
    AND your not exercising which are beneficial for both of the above as well as shifting the LB's
    Get back on the treadmill you need if for everything you've got going on.

Good luck with you mid terms, I'm sure you'll soon be back on track
  • jheye
    jheye Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think over indulgence in occasional treats along with lack of exercise is the key- I was in much the same situation earlier this year. After a car wreck I quit my daily walking and started "fudging" on my diet quite a bit. No weight loss for a month or more. I had been successful losing weight even when being pretty lax about my diet, but the combination of no exercise and frequent indulgence was too much. I started walking again and then a couple of weeks ago I decided to adhere very strictly to my diet plan to get weight loss going again and I've lost several pounds. I know I lose faster when I do more exercise, but just the walking helps- I may not get back to strength training until next semester. I also eat out a lot and I find that if I ditch the carbs when I'm getting fast food it really helps- I eat the taco filling but leave the shell, or just eat the cheeseburger without the bun. Eating at home is better, but you can still be successful eating fast food.
    Good luck with classes
  • Wolverine13ft
    Wolverine13ft Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Stress! Find a way to workout even when you are un-motivated. Exercise will help with your stress level. Keep eating at a deficit and the weight will come off.
  • Runner50266
    Options
    Start moving. We are all busy. It's about priorities.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Tell your family that if they want to bring you treats, bring you a piece of fruit or a fruit salad instead. I know, it sounds lame, but the junk food surprises aren't doing you any favors, and when someone brings us a gift, it becomes appealing; a pomegranate is cheaper than a Starbucks treat that your mom is bringing you. If she wants to keep bring you Starbucks, ask her to stick with the healthier options.
  • noraisaac
    noraisaac Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new to MFP, but I can truly share that exercise makes a difference to my motivation. I am happier when I exercise and that translates into taking better care of myself. I might suggest starting slowly. Take a walk, dance in front of the tv (one of my favorites), get a fitness monitor (I use bodymedia) so you can see when you make some effort. It will take some willpower on your part to get started, I know that. I usually don't give myself a choice - I just get up and do it. You will feel better after you start exercising again. If your mood is still really down, talk with your doctor. We all can be affected by depression. I know that the symptoms for me can include fatigue, lack of motivation to move and general malaise. My best to you.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't do some hardcore workout--go for a walk! grab your phone or ipod, put on some good music, and just move your legs. I'm in grad school too--stressed to the gills--but you need some "me" time. It'll help you in school and in this journey :)
  • luperaz
    Options
    You are not tracking water from what I can tell. I would make sure you stay super hydrated and see if that has an effect. Also try some hardcore cardio for a couple days and see if that doesn't jump start things. I'm talking about 1k calories in exercise. Also mixing up the type of cardio and the time of day. Keeping your body confused can help.
  • lornathewizzard
    lornathewizzard Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've just fallen into a slump the last couple of weeks (nearing a month, really) between midterms, a headcold and that time of the month, I've just been lagging.
    I think, my girl, you need to give yourself a break. In the long term, 2-3 weeks of not losing is nothing! And look at the 'outside' factors. Exams are stressful and cause your routine to go out of whack. And feeling unwell on top of that is not going to help.
    1500 is a good sensible number. Concentrate on school, continue to make good choices where you can and once you're done, up the exercise again and try and make even better choices! You don't need to exercise to lose weight, but the long term benefits are totally worth it! :)