Feet and toe issues

Options
Hello,

I am flat footed and have a hard time finding shoes that fit well... I have started to run recently... I found a pair of shoes that work well for my feet when walking but am finding my second toes are getting beaten up (nails have turned purple). My second toe is longer then my big toe... Anyone know how to remedy this problem?? This doesn't happen in my hiking boots.. But I can't run in my boots :-)

Replies

• jacquelinemason
    Options
    Hi I would suggest that you visit your doctor and speak to him about your concerns. I have recently had corrective surgery with similar conditions and some. I am currently out of action - it has been 6 weeks so far. If you feel inadequate now it is likely that your feet/toes may get worse and then what!!!= there is no harm in seeking medical advice it may set yourself free and feel better inside to pursue other things. Good Luck
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Did you get fitted for your shoes at a running store or just pick something you liked yourself? If it was on the recommendation of a running store then take them back and most places will replace them with something that works for you. It's generally a good idea to get running shoes a half size larger than what you normally wear to allow for toe movement.
  • Yep, you're wearing the wrong shoes.....
  • denabrown25
    denabrown25 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cutting your toenails shorter? That was the cause of my runners toe.
  • Fitorbust73
    Fitorbust73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Toenail are short...foot sliding is the problem.. Had these fitted at mountain equipment coop...
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Before you read my idea, keep in mind that my experience comes from pointe shoe problems...

I would try cutting the toenails straight across (no curve to them) and getting some of these: http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_BH1422.html?&pid=6511&Shop=Style&SID=403766067 You just put them where your toe is being bothered, and the gel absorbs some of the shock

Hope that was at least a little helpful :)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    If you look on the website. Www.nwfootankle.com the podiatrist has shoe suggestions. He also has a product called correct toes, which really helped with feet and toe issues. This dr ran a marathon in crocs. He is very well respected. Strengthen you feel is really necessary and will help. Do exercises to work on foot flexibility as well. Even strengthening you hips will help you foot strike to a more even strike. ChiRunning may help as well.