How effective are push-ups for ladies? How many can you do?

Options

Replies

• mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    lol, obviously none of you ladies have boobs. I get down 2 inches before my boobs hit the ground. You think 90# of weightloss equals smaller boobs... not for me only down 1 size in the cup department. So an H gets in the way.
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    I can do none :( Even the easier push-ups using my knees are too difficult for me. I just end up hitting my face on the floor every time lol
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Push-ups are amazing.. I still have way more BF to lose before I'll see more definition, but I can already see a difference in my shoulders since regularly doing (or at least ATTEMPTING) them. I can only do about 7-8 full push ups at a time, but its a major improvement from only being able to do 7-8 knee pushups before being exhausted.

AFAIK, its an awesome upper body + core workout all in one
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I love push ups and I do all kinds! You will get stronger, and they are great for your core, as well as your upper body. Stick with it and focus on form.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I love doing push ups also because I can do them anywhere, they are great for the upper body and the entire core (as others have said). I agree with everyone, stick with it and you will show rapid improvement.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    My personal best is 113 in 4 minutes--or 50 straight.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I can do several sets of 40 boy pushups, but I usually alternate between pushups and another activity ( squats, punching, lunges, crunches, whatever) to get the most in with the least fatigue. They are pretty effective for strength. If you use good form, they will get your abs and back too. Do as many as you can with good form. Then rest and do that a few more times. You will improve quickly. You can do modified versions to make them easier, harder, or challenge different muscles.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    ^^^agreed. Great multi-muscle group exercise if you're using proper form.
  • mellemelle84
    mellemelle84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    very effective! it has taken me a few months, but i've finally gotten to wear i can do them military style versus on my knees. i do them for a set number of minutes, so i'm not sure how many i do. probably only 3 sets of 10-15. and i'm groaning the whole time giving all i've got. upper body strength is new for me. lol
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Last time I did some for kicks I stopped at 46
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

- Solves your problems :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just tried. I did 2. LOL. I used to not be able to do any, though.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I can do precisely one! Or a few girl push ups, I really need to work on this but cannot imagine being able to do more than one ever!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have pretty strong arms from weight lifting, and lifting and carrying kids all day, but I can't for the LIFE of me do pushups. I always have to modify them.

Try working core strength. My ex-wife always has this problem. She has strong arms and could almost certainly lift the weight of her upper body at least a few times, but her core always collapses on her way down.
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    So, how are the results with the push ups? I will bump this post and see if you all are happy with the push ups.

It is something I can do at home and it doesn't take too much time.

I can do the push ups from knee--about 10 tops in good form.
    thx
    connie
  • conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    very effective! it has taken me a few months, but i've finally gotten to wear i can do them military style versus on my knees. i do them for a set number of minutes, so i'm not sure how many i do. probably only 3 sets of 10-15. and i'm groaning the whole time giving all i've got. upper body strength is new for me. lol

have you seen results in your arms? my need serious help!
  • paigeslims
    Options
    I can do girlie push ups for ages but can barely do one normal push up
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I don't usually do them on their own...I mix them up in sets with tricep dips and pull ups...so three or four sets of about 5 pullups, 10 tri dips, then 10 pushups, by which time my upper body is pretty much screaming for a rest between sets...I also used to use them between rowing and cycling sprints, with sit ups and burpees, that kind of thing.

p.s. no pushups from the knees here, unless I cannot squeeze any more out of my upper body at all.
  • wendyj910
    wendyj910 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    lol, obviously none of you ladies have boobs. I get down 2 inches before my boobs hit the ground. You think 90# of weightloss equals smaller boobs... not for me only down 1 size in the cup department. So an H gets in the way.

I hear you! I used to be an H and now am a DDD...but my boobs still get in my way!

I can do between 10-15 before my arms give out. 4 weeks ago I could do 2, so I've improved :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I can do several sets of 40 boy pushups, but I usually alternate between pushups and another activity ( squats, punching, lunges, crunches, whatever) to get the most in with the least fatigue. They are pretty effective for strength. If you use good form, they will get your abs and back too. Do as many as you can with good form. Then rest and do that a few more times. You will improve quickly. You can do modified versions to make them easier, harder, or challenge different muscles.

40's - that's flippin' awesome!

I am currently on 8 - 9 - 10 - 9 - 8 in pyramid style. Working on negative pullups as well. Bodyweight exercises are just great - love them.