The secret to my success ... So far.

Options
mreuvers
mreuvers Posts: 14 Member
In the last 50 days I have lost 22.4 lbs. 4 inches off my waist line.

- I am a man (yes I think men have an easier time at loosing weight)
- I am tall ( more body mass means more calories burn do any activity)
- I set really easy goals (even on an off day I won't fail and regular exceed my goal)
- exercise daily (I am anal about numbers so I use a heart rate monitor to calculate calories burnt)
- and of course tracking my calories (again I am anal about numbers)

Replies

• kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Wow - huge loss in a short time. fabulous
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Isn't it great. I found the more I tracked the numbers and analyzed my progress and responses, the more focused and better results I got. Keep the track rolling and enjoy being able to burn calories lay the bushel.
  • WilhelmCF
    WilhelmCF Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly. A consistent attitude about logging food and exercise is one key to success but you really hit the nail on the head in setting achieveable goals. Setting goals in that manner may make them take longer to achieve but in the end they will be goals easier to hold on to. If I were a professional gambler I would put my money on you achieving your shortterm and longterm goals. All the best on your journey, friend.
  • ctgirlscout
    ctgirlscout Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think setting goals is really important. I set mini-goals at every 5 lbs lost, at every 10lb weight mark (230, 220, 210, etc.), and then major goals....under 200 lbs, half-way point, and so on. I also try to set NSV goals...such as a smaller size. These are the things that keep me motivated to go on. But I also don't let it get me down if I don't make a goal by a specific date, which has happened to me. I'm happy just to eventually meet that goal, even if it is a week or two after I had planned.
  • sabrakay1
    sabrakay1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I am a short female so I am doomed :) Just kidding! Way to go on the weight loss. A heart rate monitor is on my wishlist. I think it will be beneficial for me. I try to do some sort of activity each day. It's getting easier and easier to push myself.
    Anyway, congratulations on your success. Thanks for sharing.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm the same but sometimes i 'sell' my saved calories for alcohol or a meal out. I'm 60 days in and 20lbs but it doesnt even feel like a diet, i'm just more informed on choice and i'm loving the exercise and weight lifting!

well done to you. keep up the good work
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm the same but sometimes i 'sell' my saved calories for alcohol ........ it doesnt even feel like a diet, i'm just more informed on choice

Same for me, 3 months in and 38 lbs gone, and also setting do -able targets, first half stone, get under 15 stone, get overweight & not obese

I also think it may be easier for blokes as well, I honestly find it fairly easy by just logging & weighing my food

Nice to see others achieving as well
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    great loss man too bad only 3/5 you can control lol :laugh: still though good loss keep it up!!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

- I set really easy goals (even on an off day I won't fail and regular exceed my goal)
    - exercise daily (I am anal about numbers so I use a heart rate monitor to calculate calories burnt)

I agree with you. Both my husband and I are in our 50's and he still has an easier time losing weight (not that he ever really got over weight) and maintaining. I should say it's easier for him to maintain and then lose a few pounds if he needs to. He can also eat more and has more room for deficit then I do as a small person. I'm so jealous. It's hard work for me to just maintain, and it was really really hard for me to lose 60lbs at age 50 with all the various female issues.

Great for you. Keep up the good work. I'm so jealous that it's so much easier for you. Life is NOT FAIR! LOL
  • LordByproduct
    Options

I was hoping for a couple of useable tips here, but im not seeing it. can someone explain what im not getting about this post.

1) be a man....well im already doing that
    2) be tall......Check
    3) exercise daily.... well okay, thats actually pretty good in a general way. what exercise do you do?
    4) set easy goals.... not getting this one. so like 20 min on the treadmill? or like lose 1 pound a week?
    5) track calories.... check

congrats on the weight loss!

i guess ill take this as a encouragement type post. i mean heck i got everything but the daily exercise already so...the obvious next step for me is....well obvious.

thanks?
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

I was hoping for a couple of useable tips here, but im not seeing it. can someone explain what im not getting about this post.

3) exercise daily.... well okay, thats actually pretty good in a general way. what exercise do you do?
    4) set easy goals.... not getting this one. so like 20 min on the treadmill? or like lose 1 pound a week?

thanks?

I can't speak for OP but for me exercise is just plain old vanilla walking, and I mean just walking to the shops & back, not hiking over the Alps

The do-able goals is so that one is not dispirited by some distant goal and thus doomed by time to fail, hence lose 5lb by Christmas for instance, not 50 by Easter
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My goal is one kg per week more or less. I have worked on smaller results as a part of a big picture. I weight every day and depending on the circunstances, more than once a day.
    I have my graph and know for sure about the trend. There is a trend that goes down, so I have learned not to get too discouraged by a sudden weight increase. I know that a day I ate late, the right right weight will not reflect in the morning.
    So, it goes up and down, but mostly down....
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I am a short female so I am doomed :) Just kidding! Way to go on the weight loss. A heart rate monitor is on my wishlist. I think it will be beneficial for me. I try to do some sort of activity each day. It's getting easier and easier to push myself.
    Anyway, congratulations on your success. Thanks for sharing.
    this is me too !!

Congrats on your success so far!
  • mreuvers
    mreuvers Posts: 14 Member
    Options

1) be a man....well im already doing that
    2) be tall......Check

congrats on the weight loss!

i guess ill take this as a encouragement type post. i mean heck i got everything but the daily exercise already so...the obvious next step for me is....well obvious.

thanks?

3) I have consistently burnt 600-700 calories a day. My exercise consist of 30 minutes of elliptical and 20 minutes of resistance circuit training. But my goal is 30 minutes of exercise a day.
    4) My goal is 1 pound a week but I am consistently under by 500 extra calories making my actual lose 2 pounds a week. So why don't I make my goal 2 pounds? Because I can have an off day and still meet my goal.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Congrats on keeping up with things, man, and proving the formula really works. It's been easyish for me too, so long as I don't overeat. I lost 30lbs in 10 weeks by just dieting and biking a little.

I've stalled the last 3 weeks because I haven't been counting cals. But I weigh myself several times a day to check intake/outtake and know I've lost even if the scale wont say, because of undigested food and stuff. Or maintained. Weighing myself keeps me in check.

And though I became bored and annoyed with counting cals all day, it really does help you keep accountable. I am tall, and I tend to always be fidgeting or restless but with the advent of the cold I am going into hibernation. I cant even run in my house because it's a second floor apartment.

I crabwalked around for a while though, tried to do pushups and sit ups but it was boring as all heck. Did more crabwalking. Fun stuff.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!