Eat like a king for breakfast etc...

Options
2»

Replies

• feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yeah I usually do the exact opposite. I don't have a huge dinner or anything, but breakfast is definitely my lightest meal of the day.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I tend to have big breakfast, and I don't feel tired after that. I wake up hungry because I didn't have anything heavy previous night. If I have a big heavy dinner, I feel tired and can't fall asleep, my tummy is all busy working on that dinner, and obviously next morning I can't eat my breakfast...

It's the matter of habit to adjust to having nice full breakfast and small dinner. Even when I'm not trying to lose weight and eat after 6 pm, I still try not to eat 3-4 hours before going to bed.
    I'm still watching it and Jillian has also suggested eating low calorie 2 days, 'moderate' calories for 3 days and then slack off at the weekends!

I'm starting to think I should stop listening to them :P

But I think I will try the big breakfast light dinner thing. It makes some kinda sense.

Read my post above. Eating triggers the parasympathetic nervous system. Which causes people to feel tired and fatigued. Your best bet is to do the complete opposite of what you're thinking.
  • chelovik
    chelovik Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm still watching it and Jillian has also suggested eating low calorie 2 days, 'moderate' calories for 3 days and then slack off at the weekends!

I'm starting to think I should stop listening to them :P

But I think I will try the big breakfast light dinner thing. It makes some kinda sense.

I would do the bold part above, immediately.
    You have to do what is right for you. If you eat clean all your meals it really shouldn't matter all that much
  • Love_flowers
    Love_flowers Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me ;)
  • runswithwolf
    Options
    I've tried this. Doesn't work for me. What it does is make me hungry and night and therefore eating too much, too late, and incorrect foods. Everyones work day, life is different. If you eat a mega breakfast, then don't burn it off...what do you think happens .....it stores as fat ! Best for the body, pancreas/insulin, to eat small amounts throughout the day...and it helps not go over your daily calories ( 1200 a day if a woman) Think "snacks", not "meals". What has worked for me to make me not hungry and lose weight is BREAKFAST : either 1/2 cup oatmeal, or 2 egg whites, or 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt. 8oz orange juice and sometimes fresh fruit. 10am Snack: 1 brazil nut and 6 almonds. LUNCH: salmon, chicken, or turkey patty. a veggie. 3pm Snack: raw veggies like snow peas, baby bell peppers, celery. DINNER: apple and protein shake . Premiere protein shakes from Costco are Great, low sugar/fats/carbs.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    So I'm watching The Biggest Loser atm and Bob the trainer guy just said that you should downsize your meals throughout the day.

So have a massive breakfast, normal lunch and a light dinner. Does anyone do this? I have heard something along the lines of Eat like and King at breakfast, nobleman at lunch and peasant for dinner (not the exact words obviously) It makes sense though because you will use your breakfast calories throughout the day....and when I wake up and am instantly ravenous and could eat a shire horse!!

And I am so tired from work at the end of the day I really cba to make dinner, so a sandwich or something would be ideal. The more I type the more I like the idea, however it's soooooo different to what I know. If this is correct, then why haven't people been doing this?

Opinions please?

Many Europeans eat similarly .. only their mid day meal tends to be the big meal of the day while the evening meal is the smallest .. .. that's how I was raised . (my mother is German and my father is Norwegian) .. our big meals were frequently mid day.. (especially on weekends) and we had something very light for dinner .. toast and cheese or a salad or porridge
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    There's some evidence suggesting that frequent feeding does not necessarily promote better blood glucose levels:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1751499110000545

This certainly isn't conclusive but it challenges the notion that eating frequently regulates blood glucose AUC.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Try and stop listening to all the advice out there. Even though it is well intentioned. You have to experiment to figure out what works for you. I tried experimenting with timesI was eating. At one point I was drinking only juice for dinner. Nothing really worked for me. I eat healthy but overeat healthy food. So limiting the times that I ate was the key for me. Now I am doing intermittent fasting so in essence I eat only one large meal daily. I would rather feel a bit hungry during the day in order to get full in the evening. The evening is my hungry time and I am always hungry in the evening regardless if I have eaten a big breakfast or not. Breakfast makes a lot of people more hungry throughout the day for some odd reason. I am never hungry in the morning when I wake up. Some people it is the opposite. Experimenting is key and whatever you figure out, make sure you can live with it forever so this will be a permanent loss and not a temporary one. Good luck on your journey!!
  • callybratn2003
    Options
    My doctor told me to eat "many mini meals". Weight watchers has a similar strategy. Eat a light portion every two hours. Before getting dressed drink at least 8 0z of water to flush your system from the processing of foods the night before. I also drink hot water and lemon as a diuretic. This process works well for me if I stay away from alot of processed foods and eat more fresh foods. Good luck with your journey!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has any effect on weight loss. Your body uses calories all day and night to carry on the functions it needs to. If you wake up ravenous then eat hearty then but that may also be because you ate like a pauper last night and are very hungry. I wake up not hungry at all and can go without food until 11 am or so. I force myself to eat breakfast so the thought of a large meal at 7 am doesn't sound appealing at all to me and I usually exercise after work so having a big dinner is the time I'm hungry.

Eat what your want, when you want as long as it stays in your budget.

Repeat the last line with me: Eat what you want, when you want as long as it stays in your budget.

That's all you need to know.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I eat a teeny breakfast, a moderate lunch, and my biggest meal is dinner, plus snacking afterwards. I'm hungry and want a nice meal at the end of the day. I can't quite figure out why all of these professionals act like it's the only way to eat.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    That advice can have its place, if one lacks the self control to stay within their calorie allotment. Otherwise, eat whenever you please.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I used to skip breakfast or eat brunch on the weekends about 10:30, but I work out in the morning, so I have had to start eating some breakfast most days. I usually have a smaller lunch, then eat a large meal at night including dessert. Lost 40 lbs. It's harder in maintenance, because sometimes I eat 1500 calories after I get home, but I'm usually that hungry. I can't eat a huge breakfast unless it's late morning, and then I skip lunch entirely. So only works on the weekend or vacation.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    If that's true I'm doing it all wrong :p

But I'm still losing weight and my biggest meal is almost always dinner.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    So I'm watching The Biggest Loser atm and Bob the trainer guy just said that you should downsize your meals throughout the day.

So have a massive breakfast, normal lunch and a light dinner. Does anyone do this? I have heard something along the lines of Eat like and King at breakfast, nobleman at lunch and peasant for dinner (not the exact words obviously) It makes sense though because you will use your breakfast calories throughout the day....and when I wake up and am instantly ravenous and could eat a shire horse!!

And I am so tired from work at the end of the day I really cba to make dinner, so a sandwich or something would be ideal. The more I type the more I like the idea, however it's soooooo different to what I know. If this is correct, then why haven't people been doing this?

Opinions please?

In my country we say "eat your breakfast alone, share your lunch with a friend, give your dinner to your enemy".

That's the way people in my country believe that heavy dinner s your biggest health and weight enemy. It's hard to sleep because your stomach is working on processing the dinner. Something light like a yogurt is ok but definitely no meat or pasta or rice and etc.

Actually, the most popular diet we have here is no food after 6 pm. It's the main diet of the ballerinas, gymnasts and other professionals who need to keep their weight under control but still having exta heavy physical activities.
    My mom doesn't eat after 6 pm and has been keeping the same weight since she was 16. If I follow the same routine, I tend to lose weight fast and stay fit.

To me this would never work since I get up at noon each day. So I would only have a 6 hour window to eat? no bueno. I think it's good to stop eating a couple hours before bed for digestive purposes but not for weight loss purposes.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I'm not very interested in eating early in the day, so I eat lightly then.
    I like to eat in the evening.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Repeat the last line with me: Eat what you want, when you want as long as it stays in your budget.

That's all you need to know.
    ^ This. Also echo what Acg67 and SideSteel said earlier in the thread. Eat whenever is best for your personal comfort and adherence. Meal timing has minimal, if any, effect upon weight loss.
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I can't sleep if I go to bed hungry, and breakfast makes me nauseous sometimes, unless it's after 10 am. So that would never work for me. It's probably a good thing I was never picked for The Biggest Loser.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I never get how people do that... My breakfast is rarely more than 200 cals. Breakfast is when I hardly have time for a big meal and really don't feel like eating too much.