any cat owners?

Options

Replies

• reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've always had cats. My current tri-color tabby, Gizmo, is hysterical. She's from the animal shelter, where her adoption price was cut in half and a note was attached to her cage that said "I don't know why no one wants this cat." She's playful, super friendly, sweet, and demanding all at once. Her vet says she's "developmentally disabled" (kinda stupid too), but we love her. Before her was Pepper, who was very intelligent and graceful, and lived to be 18 years old.

I highly recommend going to your local no-kill shelter and start looking around. Wait til you find one that "works" with you. Some people like higher energy "mousers" while others like lap love-bugs.

Don't declaw - there are alternatives like Soft Paws. And make sure kitty is fixed. That'll help with spraying. Keep a clean litterbox in the house and some decent clawing trees, etc. and you're good to go!
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have had my kitten since July. my mom has two cats and I also pet sat for lots of cats. I love dogs too but cats are great when you can't spend as much time at home as a dog would need. My cat was a rescue from my cousin. One of her coworkers found her, she took her home and then decided she didn't want her anymore. I guess I can see why, but I've had a lot of experience with different animals so she doesn't bother me much :)

As for the negative comments, it depends on the person AND the cat. My cat hasn't torn up ANYTHING but she does scratch me. Seriously, all my furniture is in the same state it was when she got here. I guess she's just not a destroyer. As for the peeing everywhere, she's never done it. Not even right outside the litter box if I forgot to clean it.

I'd say just make sure you're patient. My cat is kind of crazy and more energetic than most kittens so she likes to play rough sometimes. I just make a point to have toys near me so i can throw them or dangle something to keep her from attacking me.
  • ctgirlscout
    ctgirlscout Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love cats. I have three house cats, and an outside cat (stray) that adopted us 5 years ago that we care for. Cats can be very calming...especially when they curl up in your lap and start purring!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My fiance and I have two cats. 13 month old Peanut and we adopted 3 month old Marceline last weekend.

DSC00031.jpeg
    Peanut ^^^

DSC00043.jpeg

Marceline ^^^
  • MrsWonderland
    MrsWonderland Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I grew up a dog person till one day found a kitten that was a few months old she was the best. All she wanted was to be with me. Yeah all cats are different, but my sis had 7 cats and only one wasnt social. They were all well behaved used their boxs unless she didnt get to it quick enough. I only had one cat so it was easy to keep up with her box. I dont have my baby anymore miss her every day. Im planning on getting another one soon. Dont think I will ever want a dog again even though I still like them, cats have won my heart.

I plan on feeding my new cat real food (chicken and meats), they are carnivores in nature. I been looking up on healthy cats because I have known many cats to have health problems. What I found was very distirbing Youtube has lots of videos about dog and cat foods and honestly I dont want to feed my cat any of it. I know many will disagree because they feed their cats dry food for many years, but I this is just somethig I want to do.

Well I wish you the best with your cat.
  • tdbad1
    tdbad1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You will not regret having a cat, im sure. the complaints of torn up furniture and spraying are things you can deal with.

getting an adult cat...make sure it is already spayed or nutered. that will cut out the need to mark territory. Also getting an adult cat reduces the amount of clawing at furniture...ive found kittens do it more. Have a scratching post, or "cat tree" my cat loves old weatherd wood, so i keep a piece in the house, nailed to the wall for her.

Older cats are more affectionate. they virtually take care of themselves. Im not sure where you will get yours from, but if you can, find out if it is an indoor only or outdoor cat. That will make the most difference. it is extreemely hard to keep an outdoor cat locked in. Cats will adapt to you, yet remain indepedant. Although be prepared to feel like you are "staff" once in a while,lol.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    cats are great pets, but today's veterinarians think they should be paid just like people doctors. i had 2 cats get very sick around the same time back in 2006. in the span of 2 weeks, the vets (regular and the emergency weekend center) took me for $7000-$8000 in vet/surgery bills and both cats still died within 2 weeks. it was awful and both cats were miserable while i was desperately and futiley trying to save their lives. thus, i have nothing good to say about veterinarians since... they will nickel and dime you until you finally decide enough is enough. the problem is that cats will eventually get sick and die. unless you're heartless, you're going to want to try to do everything you can for them. that's how vets get their hooks into your wallet and it doesn't stop unless you make the difficult decision to stop funding the madness. if i sound bitter about it, i am.

if you get a cat or dog, be prepared for this when they get older and you have to start worrying about things like kidney disease or cancer or hip problems (dogs).
    Do you expect to be paid for your work? Veterinarians are doctors and aren't in it for the charity work. If you have that much of a problem with them, don't have pets. Wow.
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have one cat. He is seven years old and while we have some issues with his scatching up furniture (He would chew his soft claws off) he is super affectionate. No spraying ever. We had him fixed when he was around four or five months old.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    We have a wonderful cat we got from a shelter this summer. You will want to read up on cats and try to understand their behavior so you can prevent frustration for you AND the cat. For example, scratching is normal and necessary behavior for cats with claws. You have to be prepared to give them appropriate places to scratch and to teach them what your rules are about that. Our cat has all her claws and we are getting along with her very nicely now that she has settled in and we have set her up with three scratching pads in various parts of our home. As long as you are going in armed with knowledge and you are prepared to be a good cat "parent" then I think getting a cat is a very nice idea.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    If you will be living in an apartment and gone all day a cat would be better than a dog for sure. But I remember when we did that years ago, the cat would sleep all day then keep us awake at night! It was really annoying. I'd make sure that you play with it a lot so it gets some sort of exercise.
    Also, don't get one if you can't handle hair on everything, hairballs, stained carpet from hairballs, puke, pee, shredded furniture, changing the litterbox, vet bills, etc.
    We have one now that has been banned to the porch for those reasons. She has a heated bed and a heated water bowl and we do let her in once in a while, but it's only when she can be supervised every single minute! She also howls like a dying, sick animal (she's not sick, vet says shes fine) and it really sounds creepy. I feel sorry for my neighbors since I can hear her a block away. lol I'd give her away but I know that whoever takes her would end up kicking her outside where she'd be in more danger or they would have her put down.
  • beccannes
    Options
    I have owned cats my whole life and actually breed them. My suggestion if you go with an adult cat is to be selective and search around. Try to find one that is open to you and not scared. An adult is more likely to be litter trained so that is a benefit. Although litter training is incredible easy-I have a secret to it if you go the kitten route!

The Benefit of a kitten would be that it will grow into an adult under your care and be more likely to trust you more once it becomes an adult because you were able to socialize him as a kitten. Kittens do require more attention and are very active. If you go the kitten route I would suggest plenty of toys and a cat tree (they love those).

Cats are definitely different than dogs although they can be similar if cared for correctly as a kitten. You have to earn their love. If they are loved as kittens and socialized correctly they can definitely be little cuddlers and they will sleep with you at night.
  • Mini_Medic
    Mini_Medic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have a bengal/munchkin cat, he is 2 years old. Cats are great for apartments and busy lifestyles since they don't have to go out to use the bathroom. Just beware of excessive pet fees at certain apartments, and don't even think about hiding your cat, because they will come in "for maintance" if they suspect you have an animal that you didn't pay a pet deposit on.

I love my kitty, he is strictly indoor only, declawed on the front only. My leather sofa got tons of tiny claw punctures from his feet but otherwise my furniture is just fine. My cat learned the litter box first time we put him in it as a kitten, and has only had one accident where he peed on the bed because he had a UTI.

I love my kitty and would recommend a cat to anyone, so long as you don't mind scooping a litter box and sharing your bed, most cats like to sleep with their humans. :)
  • I have 3 cats buttercup who's a colour point calico , pablo hernandez is cream and white and then selene is all black :)

absolutely brilliant pets !! I love the independence that cats have I don't need to walk them just open the window and they pop outside to be honest now they've all been speyed and neutered they go outside to do their business then come straight back into to do what cats love best sleeping!!

I agree with the others I have a nice fabric sofa and the cats use their activity centre for scratching ( you can get some fab ones from ebay!!)

I don't know about america but english adoption centres are over run with cats at the moment so def. adopt!!!!

I'd have more if I could afford them but my limit is 3 ............ nowt wrong with being a crazy cat lady!!!! :laugh:
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have two cats, have had them for 10 years. I would say my biggest piece of advice is that you (or whoever is thinking of adopting a pet - not trying to be harsh to you specifically!) have to be completely prepared for the permanent responsibility, financially and time-wise. You are taking on the care of a living creature who will depend on you for everything, and you will be its entire world. You can't decide a year or two from now that your furniture or your carpet is more important than that animal if it gets sick and starts peeing on the corner, or gets bored because you don't have time for it and starts scratching the furniture. You have to commit to the fact that if a problem arises, you will do everything you can to solve it, and not just decide that it's too much trouble or hassle and dump the cat back at the shelter or euthanize it.

You have to make sure you can take care of any medical problems that arise, within a reasonable financial limit. I make sure I have enough money set aside for yearly exams and vaccines (can be up to $150) as well as other regular treatments that may arise (dewormers, antibiotics, etc). I also have a larger sum of money set aside in case of an emergency. Vet bills are not cheap, but contrary to what some people think, veterinarians are not out to make a quick buck off of you. Take a look at this article for an explanation of why vets charge what they do:
    http://www.askavetquestion.com/why-are-vets-so-expensive.php

Cats are also a time commitment. They are not ornaments, and (most of them) don't just sleep on the sofa all day then wait to cuddle with you at night. They need mental stimulation and attention as well as physical activity. You also have to be willing to be patient with them if behavioural or medical problems arise. If they start peeing outside the litter box, it can be months of problem-solving and trying new things to solve the issue. If they get sick, you might have to give them medicine every day.

I love my cats, and they reward me every hour with their antics and affection. But I'm also aware of my responsibility to them, and I would never take their trust in me for granted.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Dogs have owners, cats have servants :laugh:

We adopted two adult cats about a month ago and they are the sweetest kitties ever! Both are 6 years old and Maine Coons, they barely shed.
    Belle (the female) loves to stroke through my hair with her claws while I'm lying in bed or sitting on the couch.
    Beast (the male) loves to lay on my lap and snuggle.

Both use their litter box and don't rip any furniture apart, they are very well behaved.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    My tip would be get a cat that suits your personality, there are many breeds and types and choose wisely regarding gender too. Yes they do tend to tear up furniture but you can control that with scratching posts/boards. They do not pee everywhere like someone mentioned, they are intelligent animals and can train very quickly. It is slightly expensive to get them injected or take them to vets but since you have owned dogs, that doesn't seem like a problem. They are not as high maintenance as dogs, they are pretty independent animals but are very caring and adorable :)

ETA: I LOVE MY KITTY :)
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    I have 3 cats who dont tear anything, always use their litter and r complete sweethearts. they r all house cats. if u r going to b keeping ur cat indoors then getting more than 1 is a good option
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I have a Siamese, and I think that if you are usually a dog person, Siamese are a very good choice as they tend to have some dog-like qualities. For instance, my cat will come when called, wait at the door for me and make a fuss when I get home, and play "fetch". I'm very biased about Siamese though! All cat breeds and moggies are nice :).

Some things to consider:
    - if you're in an apartment you might want to keep the cat as a house-only cat. That means making sure that they can't get out, which can be difficult depending on your layout. It's a pain having to keep windows closed all the time. However, there are some special cat nets which you can attach to windows so that you can open them without the cat escaping.
    - if the cat is going to be a house cat it's worth getting lots of toys. I bought a really big cat tree which has been well- used!
    - It's worth paying extra for a litter you like. People seem to have personal preferences. I like the smell of wood litter, but usually use a flushable litter.
    - Apparently, it's better for cats to have wet food rather than dry. I feed my cat good quality wet food and so he costs a lot more to feed than a dog!
    - They seem to be much more expensive than you think they're going to be. Add up food, litter, health care, possibly cattery fees, etc.
    - They are quite tieing. You can't go away on impulse. You need to find a cattery or somebody to come round and look after them.
    - I wouldn't have a cat declawed (I think it's illegal where I live, anyway). Just buy scratching posts. Then watch them use the stair carpet anyway!
  • beccannes
    Options
    I have 3 cats who dont tear anything, always use their litter and r complete sweethearts. they r all house cats. if u r going to b keeping ur cat indoors then getting more than 1 is a good option

I would suggest multiple cats if they are strictly indoors as well!
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I say do it! i have a male cat that i rescued when he was just a kitten. He is about 3 now. He doesn't tear anything, and he always uses his litter box, if i neglect cleaning it on time he'll go sit by it and meow to let me now. He only likes cuddles in the morning(i cuddle him anytime i want though, and he puts up with it haha).
    Ohh..when he was still a baby he tried clawing at the leather couch. I sprayed perfume on the couch, he sniffed it and never went near it for a while. There's also sprays at the pet store that you can buy and use on stuff to keep the cat away.
    And if you decide to get one please don't declaw! it's inhumane and traumatizing for the animal