How do you fight depression?

Options

Replies

• RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Try to find non-medication answers to depression before you go running for the doc and the meds. The meds are expensive and the side effects of some of them are not worth it. I would go for meds only as a last resort.

Not all psych meds are expensive nor do they all have side effects. And just because one has a side effect for one person does not mean that it has one for someone else. It's great if you don't need meds, but don't be afraid of them, either. Personally, without them I can guarantee that I would not be here today.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Prozac.
    Meds...discuss with your doc

I have been severely depressed in the past. I got professional help .. and I stuck with it until the doc felt I was ready to fly solo. He even let me stay on the meds for an extra 6 months as I wanted to be personally sure I would NEVER EVER get that bad.

It didn't start off bad .. it gradually got worse. I actually had several "bouts" of depression .. and managed to pull myself out of it on my own .. but each time I got depressed .. it got worse. I started having more "triggers" .. it became increasingly difficult to cope with stress each time .. financial.. emotional (getting dumped) .. other struggles..

There's no shame in seeking and getting that help. I'm stronger than I have ever been .. and I will NEVER allow myself to go down that road again. I will get help if I feel I'm slipping beyond a bad day or two. :flowerforyou:

It's been 12 years since my depression .. and I couldn't be happier or more healthy today :smile:
  • christchick7
    christchick7 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm bipolar, so the first thing is making sure I'm taking my meds and doing the work I
    need to do in therapy. The second thing is to journal my thoughts and feelings for at
    least 20 minutes a day. This brings up thoughts and feelings I may not even be aware
    of, and once I see them I can then take them to prayer. Third, I can increase my exer-
    cise because it raises the levels of neurotransmitters(serotonin, norephenephrine, and
    dopamine) in my brain. Fourth, if I'm still feeling lousy after the meds, I eat a small ser-
    ving of pasta and dark chocolate together. Operative word: small. Not sure why, but it
    levels me out. Finally the support of friends and family is key. They may see me acting
    or reacting in a way that is unusual for me. They can tell me what they see, counsel me
    as to what to do, and if it's serious enough, consult my therapist. This is just what helps
    me...take from it what fits you. In any case, I hope you feel better...
  • AngryCurseWords
    Options
    Taking the time to do basic things for my health when feeling little or no self-worth. If I don't take steps towards health it becomes that much easier to believe what depression tries to make me feel/think. It quickly became a vicious cycle for me: I am worthless because I don't/can't take care of myself because I am worthless...ad infinitum.

I remind myself of this often: if I can do something about the situation, then I just need to do it and there is no need to worry; if I can't do anything, then there is no need to worry. It took time and hard work for that to sink in so I can feel it even at my lowest, but it was worth it. My anxiety and depression levels are very, very low compared to the past. The biggest help for this was a combination of meditation and Cognitive Behavior Therapy.

After having everyone around me try to counter my negative thoughts, I began wondering if it was all of them trying to cheer me up (some sort of conspiracy?) or if they actually felt that I was a good person who didn't deserve to hate herself. I got to thinking that either everyone around me was trying to trick me into thinking I wasn't worthless or some part of me was trying to trick me into thinking I was. So it helps me to view depression as a separate part of my mind that is trying to trick me into hating myself and not taking care of myself. Then I try to outsmart whatever my negative thoughts/feelings throw at me. It's a bit dramatic and silly, but it helps me channel my energy in the right direction. And the silliness helps to counteract all the darkness.

It becomes so much easier once you build confidence in how you handle stress. It is also important to devise healthy rescue plans from despair, so you can climb out from the depths of darker moments/days/weeks.

Not sure how many of these tactics will help others, but this is what has helped me with my particular depression demon.
  • kaneaap
    kaneaap Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Check your level of vitamin D. I'm better if I exercise regularly & really put myself into it, not just go through the motions; make sure I take 1000 to 2000 iu Vitamin D & 1000 mg B-12; and eat clean - ie stay away from processed foods. Stay away from meds if you can. Was put on a light dose, but absolutely hated it!!!! Bah! Drugs bad!
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I take my meds, every day, without fail. I practice excellent mental hygiene, which includes good sleep, meditation, reducing stress, and exercise, exercise, exercise.

Sounds like you are having a hard time. Hang in there. It will get better.
  • jooby1972
    jooby1972 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I avoid sugar. If I have sugar it makes me feel out of control, weepy, raging, tearful, attention seeking and lost. I feel fine at the time but the morning after I have hangover type symptoms and then gradually the rest appear over the course of a day. What works for me is cleaning, lists, order, nurturing myself (paint nails, bath), writing a timetable for the next few weeks, plenty water and veg, spend time with cats and sleep. I wish I could remember to not eat sweet things. At the time of eating it I am thinking "this is lovely, a wee bit wont hurt..." then the next day I feel very silly and always heavier on scales...ARGH.
  • luvsbks
    Options
    Meds and Therapy works for me. Also exercise
  • clarkehn
    clarkehn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Exercise.
  • christin623
    christin623 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have suffered with mild to moderate depression in my lifetime. I can only share with you what I have tried. I am not one to go on medication...I choose to go the more natural route, but that is because my depression is not severe. Here are some things that have helped me:

- Diet- I stay away from too many carbs/ sugar. When my blood sugar is unstable, I am much more prone to feel depressed.

- Exercise- taking a walk or even doing some chores around the house always lifts my spirit.

- Do what you love- I enjoy music, reading, and taking hot baths. These really help me when I feel down.

- Supplements- Omega 3, B- Complex both helps A LOT. I have tried St. John's Wort in the past and it helped. I've heard about Sam- E as well.

The only other thing that I do is sometimes allow myself to feel sad. Sadness is a normal emotion that we should not always have to suppress. I sometimes take a hot bath and just cry it out. I feel much better afterward. However, if you feel very depressed you should talk to someone you trust such as a Dr., Spouse, friend or family member.

I see a Christian counselor once/ week to talk through some of my issues and it helps me see things through a different perspective.
  • noriri
    noriri Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Depression is a complicated issue, and certainly not something to be taken lightly. You got a lot of good suggestions here. Certainly diet, avoiding sugars is critical. Exercise allows your brain to release chemicals that will contribute to your overall feelings of well being. There is also a rhythmatic componnent that allows your brain to process stressors, filing things almost systematically. You also gain a different perspective by just changing the environment. Who doesn't appreciate the natural beauty that surrounds us. Sunlight, Vit. D, Natural suppliments work for some. There is no shame in going on medication, careful consideration with your physician could end needless turmoil. Obviously you are utilizing this site, which demonstrates your desire to take better care of your phyical health. Mental health is equally important. Best wishes to you.
  • suckerlove
    Options
    I take pills, well I am prescribed pills. Without them, I would be in a psychiatric hospital for sure. Good luck, I hope it gets better for you.
  • macscot
    Options
    I have suffered from Dysthymia for over 40 yrs. This is an ongoing form of depression that hangs on almost all the time. I did not get better until I talked to my Doctor and got meds. The meds needed to be changed a couple of times until they worked. My doctor recommend therapy. I had a couple of therapists that did not really help me, but the third one was wonderful. A good support group is invaluable.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Exercise is my solution. Long walks and talking to myself the entire time. I can not afford to be around negative people who complain about trivial things. Surronding myself with people who are on the mend or positive helps a lot.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    1. Cry
    2. Break stuff/punch walls
    3. Find something I can lose myself in - books, games, movies

I refuse to take drugs because when I did and showed any emotion, I got told to "take your pills" and go back to being a happy, little robot.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    A good round of yoga and/or tai-chi. An hour or so of meditation in my "sun-room" I have S.A.D. so this room was a must have. If the weather is good I go on long walks in a wooded area. I garden. I suround myself with living things. Tending and talking to my "babies" helps me a great deal.

If all this fails I go after the punching bag. No, not my DH. A good half hour or so of beating the crap out of it does wonders for me at times. :)

Plus I have my meds that I take faithfully although sometimes they don't seem to help much.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    If it's severe depression then it's a really difficult issue.

I know the things that make me feel better; exercise, getting outside, having the house clean, seeing friends, positive activities in the community, cooking, study, writing, reading, watching a film... but then when I'm low I'm unable to actually do them, which sets off a spiral of feeling worse the less I do. Alcohol is a handy help but only makes depression worse.

Finding a medication which works (if only), getting sleep (by medication if necessary), getting outside in daylight, and above all talking to people; it's unbelievably common and others are far more understanding than you'd think. Feeling weak, isolated and unworthy is by far the worst part and talking to other people starts to break through that.

I now get cross with people who advise against medication; of course the decision whether to or not is different for everyone, but there's no inherent difference between psychiatric medication and physical medication. It's rare to hear to hear some randomly advising someone they don't know against using insulin for their diabetes or antibiotics for their recurring infection. There's a balance of lifestyle issues, selfcare, traditional medicine, and alternative medicine for most things...
  • isabel88g
    isabel88g Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with anxiety/depression since I've been about 12 years old, I had been on anti-depressants(Celexa & Quentiapine) for about 12 and 1/2 years. I have finally stopped taking any medication for about 4 months now, what helps me is to talk about my problems,either to my husband or mom,etc even a psychologist if you have to, and I find that doing something I truly love helps, like drawing, or painting. Also I find that exercising will help with anxiety.

Also, if you only get depressed around the winter time, you could have what's called seasonal depression which is because you are not getting enough sun during the summer so you get depressed in the winter, you can have light therapy, you can talk to your doctor about it, it's just this little light that you turn on for about an hour a day and it helps get your vitamin c.

Hope this helps a little!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    For non-temporary depression (ie, death of a relative, bad **** happening.) a combination of meds and cognitive therapy seem to be the best course of action.

Outside of medical advice there are the standard things you read on supermarket magazines. More exercise, vitamin d, and creating a large social network that you can rely on.

I personally find the single best thing for me is not to get caught in the loop of dwelling on what is/has made me not happy as it just becomes a downward spiral. Finding other things to focus on helps (unfortunately in my case it is just a bad habit of playing video games) Productive time wasters are better =)

Best of luck.
  • AngryCurseWords
    Options
    The most important thing is to figure out what you need right now so you can move forward healthily and to know/discover what works best in getting you to a better place.