Do you judge people by their tickers?

Options

Replies

• toofatandy
    toofatandy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I leave judgement to the weight loss guru in the sky.

Ask and he will tell you like it is baby.
  • tannyasawyer
    tannyasawyer Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    How DO you do that exactly? I lost some weight before coming here and never could figure out how to put that on my ticker...

you can go to check in, edit previous entries, then edit your very first entry to your heaviest weight (instead of the weight you started using this site as)

Thanks, I might just do that! :happy:
  • Amaccoux
    Options
    I do my best not to judge, for much of the same reasons others have given. Some people lose weight differently than others and not everything works equally.

A major reason I don't look at the ticker is the fact that some people are newer or were on other sites before this one. At the time of this post, I have lost 3 pounds according to my ticker, but I had lost about 30 using a different site that is similar to MFP (Not as good tho). So I say you have to take things like that into consideration.

All in all though, you should always take advice over the internet with a grain of salt. I listen and consider advice given to me, but ultimately, I do so cautiously unless a doctor backs said advice. Not to say that others don't know what they are talking about, just that you don't always know who to trust. Just be careful! :)
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    No. Just because somebody lost a lot of weight doesn't mean they did it sensibly.
    Also, just because somebody is new and hasn't lost weight much doesn't mean they haven't been at the losing, gaining, re-losing, re-gaining battle for a long time and learned a few things in the process.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    No
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I only take advice from people with ripped abs in their picture.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    @adini - you look super friendly, but I wouldn't want to step on your toes. EVER.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I only take advice from people with ripped abs in their picture.

You should only take advice from the rude ones ya know.

OP: no I do not
  • AngryCurseWords
    Options
    My opinion never declines by what I see on tickers, but it can get heightened by what I see. For instance, joeysox instantly made me impressed by having L from Death Note added to their ticker. That's just my personal bias towards things I like. I also get excited when someone is in a similar situation to me, or has accomplished what I am trying to.

Noooo not L >.>

Maybe Ryuzaki.... :P Oh man that series was awesome :D thanks for bringing back good memories haha ^_^

Uh-oh, Kira fan? Haha, you're welcome.

For the record, I love Light and L/Ryuzaki/etc. equally as characters. I am forever intrigue by both. Just can relate to L more, in wanting to think like Light to catch him, but not become him.

Update: Tickers bring people together! Yay!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    not really because many of the people here that are most knowledgable are on maintenance and may not even have a ticker up. I'm talking about acg, sidesteel, dan, etc....
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i dont judge by the ticker but i do look at them. i like seeing how far people have come. some of the tickers on here are downright inspirational
  • katealbright
    katealbright Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I try not to but I can't help it. You learn a lot in the process of losing more weight -- you see things differently and that experience is invaluable. However, I know I am always making very long posts/replies with very deep, philosophical content based on just 2.5 months of experience on MFP and 15lbs of loss lol. But people do seem to find my advice helpful! I'm new to MFP but not to health, and I know I'm not the only one in that boat -- that's why I try not to judge by tickers or join date.
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 70 lbs, but have been struggling with the last 15, so I reset my ticker to kind of give myself an mental reset.

I definitely don't disregard advise based on the ticker. IMO even if someone has lost a little (or has never had a weight problem) that speaks for their ability to control their weight.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    @adini - you look super friendly, but I wouldn't want to step on your toes. EVER.

LOL wait, what? Why?
  • fragrantair
    Options
    Nope, not really..if they have a big number it just means they had more to lose.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I don't judge based on tickers, but people tend to judge me based on my ticker. I just love all the bizarre PMs I get! Some people tend to think I know nothing because I weigh so little, but I guess being short isn't an excuse.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It doesn't change my opinion, but it might intensify it. In either direction. If someone seems like an idiot and they have minimal progress, or if someone sounds brilliant and has great progress, that can help validate my opinion.

People seems more receptive to my advice the more skin I show. :ohwell:
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    no, i just get jealous of the ones that say 2348725 lbs lost :(
  • MichaelFunaro
    MichaelFunaro Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've lost 133lbs here on MFP. Does that mean I know more than someone who has lost 3 or 33lbs? No. What it means is that I know what works for me. We are all different and it's about finding your path to a healthier lifestyle. However, I have learned many wonderful tricks and eating tips from looking at my friends diaries. My two favorites are Birdseye Tuscan Veggies (Thanks Danardeener) and Artic Zero. So you can always learn from others whether they have are losing a lot or just maintenance. But I also look at what people eat and if I see a lot of junk food in their diary, then I'm not apt to listen to them give advice when they are not taking it themselves.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I don't disregard anyone based on the number on their ticker. Maybe they are healthy and looking to maintain, or maybe they just joined recently, or maybe they have thyroid problems like I do or some other medical issue that makes weight loss a slower and more difficult process.