Need reassurance that this is the right way

Options
In mid-July I decided to really get serious about taking my body back! I've lost 50 pounds or so a couple of times, then quit caring about myself and gained it all back with interest, so now I've got 150 pounds to lose and have been working hard at it. So, in four months of counting calories and working out 5-6 days per week I have lost 30 pounds. It finally feels like a significant amount, although nobody has noticed that I look any better (I accept that with as fat as I am it is going to take a good 50 pounds lost for anybody to see a difference). The thing is, today a friend posted on FB that she has lost 34 pounds since Oct. 2. More weight than I've lost in 4 months! She started out close to my size and also says she has gotten rid of lots of clothes she shrunk out of. My clothes are loose....but I really can't wear the next smaller size yet. She's done all this using Medifast.

So.....is it worth it to keep working as hard as I am and getting slow results? I'm jealous of her success, even though I know in my heart that it's probably unhealthy. I need a confidence boost here!

Replies

• Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Medifast? Girl she will probably gain it ALL back and then some. You are definitely doing it the smartest way. Slow and steady wins the race. Not to mention if you are lifting weights you are more likely to be retaining your muscle mass as well. Keep up the good work!
  • athens1000
    athens1000 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It is definitely worth it! Dont let your friends weight loss impact you at all. Everyone loses weight differently. Your friend might wind up gaining it back while you are taking your time and losing it for good. People only gets one body in this lifetime. Treat yours with respect, love it, feed it good food and be active. You will find success.. Good luck and keep us posted! Feel free to add me if you would like.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    You are learning skills which will last a lifetime, like portion size. She is missing out on those lessons. I have a dear friend who uses the Cambridge diet again and again, just regaining and regaining. Taking it slower is far more likely to work in the long run.
  • FreedomReigns
    FreedomReigns Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I dont know much about the medifast but i would say chances are she will put that weight back on just as wuickly as she dropped. You are doing great...stick to the plan and keep your eye on the prize!
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    What you are doing is the right thing to do. You are taking it slowly, watching your food intake and exercising and that is the only way to lose the weight. I lost mine too fast and my hair started falling out. Since then, I've slowed my weight loss to a healthier rate. Please feel free to add me for support and motivation. I am on here everyday and have an open diary. My name is Kimberlee, 49.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    In the LONG run, she will either have gained it all back, or lost it so quick she has a ton of loose skin even if she doesn't gain it all back....
    YOU will have LEARNED healthy habits for life and lost slowly and methodically enough to retain your skin elasticity, and hopefully lift weights and keep those muscles strong, which will help with firmer skin, and YOU will be amazing and SHE will be jealous.

You're doing it right, screw her...
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can be jealous - for now. However, if you are losing your weight by eathing healthy and exercising, then when you get to your goal, you will be able to maintain your goal weight better than someone who has not learned to eat healthy. The exercise you do will help your body become stronger. The most important thing to me? I am losing slower than most people who are doing Herbalife or some other kind of pills or shakes, BUT - my skin is shrinking back to a normal size as I lose. I may take another year to lose the last 60- pounds I need to lose. But, I will not have to have extensive surgery to get rid of hanging loose skin because even though I may have some - it will not be enough to require surgery.Some of my friends that are losing a lot quickly are already having sagging skin. I am lifting heavy too and that is really helping my body. Stay strong and know that this time you will do it right and keep it off! Good luck!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The thing is, today a friend posted on FB that she has lost 34 pounds since Oct. 2. More weight than I've lost in 4 months! She started out close to my size and also says she has gotten rid of lots of clothes she shrunk out of.....She's done all this using Medifast.

You might want to keep your clothes when they get too big....your friend will probably need them. ;)
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    One year, I started Weight Watchers and a co-worker started Medifast. Of course she lost all the weight she wanted to lose really fast and poked a lot of fun at me while I strugged the weight off 1 or 2 pounds at a time.

By the time I got to goal, she had gained most of the weight that she lost back.

(unfortunately, I gained back all the weight I lost, too, but not as fast)
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    That amount in that time...

Yes unhealthy.. I can do it too, but I know from experience it is a road best left alone....

Your making permanent changes, losing weight as a result. Eventually yes, you will have to drop to a bit unhealthy to lose the last bit, but until you get to 5-10 lbs left, you absolutely do not need to do it unhealthily...

In 4 months 30lbs is a lot! I can do it faster in a week by week case, but then I am depressed, moody and not good in general!

What your doing is awesome, keep up with it :) you deserve to be healthy, and the issues that plauge those who have had EDs isn't something to risk... Not worth it ever, if I could change my mind from 13yrs back, I would... So now I fight two battles when losing weight, two voices, and it is tiring and frustrating.. your friend will get that second voice if she carries on and I hope she doesn't, it isn't something I would wish on anyone...

Keep it up, your doing well though! :D
  • NBSfit
    NBSfit Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The worst thing we can do is compare ourselves to other people. Medifast is working for her and your method is working for you. There is no one right way. Be certain that you *are* learning healthy habits that will last a lifetime if you choose to. Be certain that you are doing the absolute best that you can for your body while still leaving room for your mental health. You got this.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I think your doing awesome. Everyone loses differently. Don't judge yourself by others. I know how jealous you are, cause I see people posting a loss everyday and right now I'm struggleing, but that's okay I will pick it up and move forward and you will be just fine. Just keep doing things the way your doing it and don't stress over others. You got this, keep it going
  • murphette2
    murphette2 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Everyone's path is different and you are on the Healthy eating for life path!!!!
  • momsypoo
    momsypoo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am not very familiar with Medifast but IMO any meal replacement diet may help you lose weight faster but it certainly does not help you or teach you about portion control, about calories or making good choices.

Your progress might be slower but you are also learning about your food value and will be more equipped at making smart choices with your food, therefore have better success in the long-term.

I was on weight watcher before lost lots of weight and after gained it all back and as you said with interest :(
    Since I have discoved MFP I have learnt more about the calories in food and for the first time I look at some food and think it's not worth it!

Another thing to consider, I am sure your friends is spending a fortune on her meal replacement!!

That is my 2 cents. You are on the right track, you are losing in a safe and healthy way, stay on your path never mind others!!
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Slow is best..take it from someone who has lost and gained at least 5 times the same 60-80 pounds. When you lose it slow..you learn the diet aspect for when you will later maintain.

Dont be tempted to take the quick fix! It always fails..

xoxo
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    you're doing really well!!! congratulations!
    could you eat the way you've been eating for a year? Do you think your friend will be able to do medifast for a year?

You're doing a healthy way that will produce long lasting results... don't compare yourself, just keep doing what you're doing. :)

Oh, and as far as anyone noticing, I think when you're heavy, people notice the weight loss, but think that they just think that you're not as big as they remember.... it takes a long time for people to realize that you're DEFINATELY not as big as you used to be. and if they see you every day, it's even harder to realize.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Believe Us....this IS the right way. I tried the "medical" diets. Lost tons of weight only to gain it all back with friends.

It took me a little longer this time but hey.....I've been in maintenece now for a year and no regain. I eat what I like but am more careful with portions.

You're doing it right. Slow and Steady wins the race.
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    it takes so much time when you have quite a bit of weight to get off. Everyone's body is different and it takes longer for some people to loose weight than others. My first 50lbs took 6 months then the next 80 only took 7 months now iv been on a 2-3 month plateau which is fine bk iv still been loosing inches but the scale wont budge. Just take it one day at a time and realize everything that your doing is for a longer healthier feel better future. It also depends on where your starting from i was at 420 lbs when i started. Good luck and keep your chin up.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You're doing a great job! You are doing what's right for you, and that's what matters. :happy:
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Slow and steady wins the race. You are developing habits that will last you a lifetime. There are no quick fixes, just immediate gratification to be followed by that good ol' yo-yo. Keep doing what you're doing. As time passes, you will be so glad you did.