When you just don't know

Options
TommiEgan
TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
I have been in the Army for nigh on 3 years, and about to be booted out for medical reasons. Having dreamt about being in the Army since I was a little kid I really have no direction as to where I want to go now. My parents are kind of insistant on me going to University however I don't like most of my options there and I feel like I would be wasting my time and money doing it.

I can honestly say I am lost and I have no clue as to a new line of work.

Any thoughts, hints or stories you would like to share?

Replies

• Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you can no longer follow out your dream. I cannot imagine what that feels like :(.
    I do not know that much about the army, it has never been an area I have had any real personal interest, but a lot of my friends go to Army Cadets, is there any chance you could work there ?
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Find something your interested in!
    Maybe like police work or a fireman it's kinda the same,but different..
  • wanda9501
    Options
    So sorry you didn't get a chance to finish your dream. If you don't want to do 4 years, try a 2 year college. The time will go by fast and you want have a mountain of debt when you finish.

Good luck to you on your new lifes journey!!!!!
  • TommiEgan
    Options
    Unfortunetly for me I am also Colour blind and have a spinal injur so most Government/ Emergency Service jobs are way out for me.

I was thinking of getting a Diploma and possibly building a portfolio in something that way I can get a job having some more hands on experience. Possibly then moving up into University.
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Keep the ARMY uniform, come to my house and just stand around wearing it.

I will pay you.
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Tafe is always a good option Tommi. What was your role in the army? Could you expand on this by going into a trade? There are heaps of options for you
  • TommiEgan
    Options
    Tafe is always a good option Tommi. What was your role in the army? Could you expand on this by going into a trade? There are heaps of options for you
    My role souly deals with Parachuting. Since I got injured at the very end of my training, I have been unable to prgress my career at all. TAFE seems to be the way to go. It's kinda scary coming out of the Army to start again from HSC level.
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Keep the ARMY uniform, come to my house and just stand around wearing it.

I will pay you.

*PMSL*
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You're only 21! You'll be fine! I am starting my last year of Uni in Melb next year and ill be 27 when I finish. Also my mum is a Tafe teacher and she often has people older than her in her classes. You're ever to old to learn :) And Tafe offers such a great variety of courses as well
  • TommiEgan
    Options
    You're only 21! You'll be fine! I am starting my last year of Uni in Melb next year and ill be 27 when I finish. Also my mum is a Tafe teacher and she often has people older than her in her classes. You're ever to old to learn :) And Tafe offers such a great variety of courses as well
    Cheers cgfol1. I have spent most of the morning on the TAFE NSW website and found some interesting stuff. I think post Army I want to live a happy, as stress free life as possible and to have a job that is some what enticing. Instead of my current role of answering a phone for someone who is not here and waiting for the day to end. :\

Either way, it's a new chapter.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Find something your interested in!
    Maybe like police work or a fireman it's kinda the same,but different..

I think that's a good idea. :)
  • beccannes
    Options
    Maybe look up a list of careers that deal with helping people. Since it has been your dream to be in the Army since childhood I suspect you have a desire to help people. Maybe your physical limitations will make you unable to "physically" help at this point although there are plenty of ways in which you can help others in other ways.

If that isn't the main reason for you to join the Army than seek that out and try to find a career on what your desire is.
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Unfortunetly for me I am also Colour blind and have a spinal injur so most Government/ Emergency Service jobs are way out for me.

I was thinking of getting a Diploma and possibly building a portfolio in something that way I can get a job having some more hands on experience. Possibly then moving up into University.
    what spinal injury? i had physical therapy done for my back. Also do squats and deadlifts with little to no weight and pick it up from there. Try applying for the fbi there's lots of desk jobs and you can still go for a military kind of thing with Hostage Rescue Team ;)
  • TommiEgan
    Options

what spinal injury? i had physical therapy done for my back. Also do squats and deadlifts with little to no weight and pick it up from there. Try applying for the fbi there's lots of desk jobs and you can still go for a military kind of thing with Hostage Rescue Team ;)

3 fractured Vertebrae, 4 disc bulges and a nerve root impingement. Dead lifts are out for me but I do over grasp pull ups.
    Unlucky for me being Australian and all I cannot apply for the FBI.

@Beccannes, I joined up merely to get into the Special Forces. I honestly didn't join to help people ( that makes me sound horrible) but I did join up because I was fascinated with it all.
  • beccannes
    Options
    That doesn't sound horrible. Each person has their own reasons for choosing their occupations. Would something like in the CIA or profiling, detective? Maybe something military or govemenment related?
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Have you read....what color is your parachute.....it is supposed to be a good book about choosing a career. But school is always a good option, you don't even have to know what your going into, just try basics first...good luck, you can change your mind often and it is ok, you had a dream for a long time, give yourself time to find another path.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I was medically discharged from the army as well and it broke my heart. I fought it as much as I could, but to no avail. Luckily, I was picked up for a federal job in the same office. I've been a federal employee since, so working for the army, just not wearing the boots or deploying. I do love that I get to support my country, as well as the soldiers that protect it.

I couldn't see where you were at on your profile, but it doesn't sound like the US, so I'm not sure if this is an option. But, if so it might be something to look into. I was a medic when I got out, but was able to get a job in administration. So, you don't necessarily have to get a job correlating to your current duties. Anyway, my .02. Good luck!