Rash and infection, cause by lossing weight HELP!

Options
Ok so in a nutshell in 2007 i was 340lbs(approx) now i am down to 177 and i have a flab of skin and some fat below my belly button, it causes rashes and infections often, I live on corn starch to dry it out. i know my last resort is probably a tummy tuck but any other ways to reduce this area??? I know it sounds gross but i know more people then me have this issue...i hope! any suggestions are apreciated

Replies

• dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Your insurance should totally cover the surgery to have the excess skin removed! There really is nothing else you can do (at least that's what I learned when I was pre-bariatric) as the friction and moisture coupled with your body temperature make it nearly impossible for that to heal on it's on long-term...

Sorry that's kind of lame news but that's just what I learned so take it for what it's worth and best of luck to you!
  • Krystal7786
    Krystal7786 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Your insurance should totally cover the surgery to have the excess skin removed! There really is nothing else you can do (at least that's what I learned when I was pre-bariatric) as the friction and moisture coupled with your body temperature make it nearly impossible for that to heal on it's on long-term...

Sorry that's kind of lame news but that's just what I learned so take it for what it's worth and best of luck to you!

I was afraid of that but thanks
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I know you hate that excess skin and I understand the desire and need to get rid of it but how awesome is it that you have come so far on your weight loss journey!!! When you look at it, consider it a trophy!!! Be proud!!!
    Now, as far as dealing with the problems you are encountering, having it removed is the cure.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I sympathise as I've always had a 'pouch' even when I wasn't overweight. I try to avoid infections with lotions, potions and powder though it seems to be a losing battle. It's a right royal pain.
  • dr2k12
    dr2k12 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I know you hate that excess skin and I understand the desire and need to get rid of it but how awesome is it that you have come so far on your weight loss journey!!! When you look at it, consider it a trophy!!! Be proud!!!
    Now, as far as dealing with the problems you are encountering, having it removed is the cure.

That's really well put...
  • Krystal7786
    Options
    have you considered a tummy tuck?
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Monistat makes a great skin chafing gel for this! You can find it on amazon. It also makes a phenomenal makeup primer (a makeup artist secret, I was told!)
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I use Bactine spray when I get a rash in my rolls, really helps. Congrats on all you have lost!
  • Krystal7786
    Options
    I use Bactine spray when I get a rash in my rolls, really helps. Congrats on all you have lost!

Me too its just becoming a hassle
  • trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Insurance will cover it as long as you have a paper trail at the doc saying its been a issue. I had my skin removed I had a panniculectomy done its different than a tummy tuck I have a scar that looks like a anchor from my breast bone down and then hip to hip. I don't regret it the scar reminds me of how far I have come, the scar has faded and there are a lot of spots you cant even tell I had a incision there. Good luck
  • Krystal7786
    Options
    i have never been tot the doc abt it, mayb i shld start going, idk if i can afford it?
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    Propolis gel will help and its completely natural
  • Gotspunk1
    Gotspunk1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Diaper rash cream! Something like triple paste from Walgreens would work well.
  • annehdavis
    annehdavis Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    maybe a body shaper. Lay down and put it on so the skin fold is flat. Im sure this is a problem. I hope you get help.
  • Couponqueenren
    Couponqueenren Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was told that insurance will only cover it if it is well documented by your doctor. Have a visit with him and explain how bad it is, get his advise and then maybe from there you an document it by calling in to the office for future breakouts. And I've always used Zeezorb to help
  • margieyoumans
    margieyoumans Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS on the weight loss!

I have a rather large roll myself and know your pain. I use A & D cream at night. I got mine from Babies R Us but I'm sure it's sold in other places. During the day, I wear 2 pair of panties. I put one under my roll to help with moisture, etc. and wear the other one normal so that it helps control the roll if you will. I've also used a girdle from time to time.

I'd love to do the tummy tuck after I finally loose but have no insurance and can't afford it either.
  • lanzaroteblue
    lanzaroteblue Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on losing so much weight.
    I use an anti-fungal cream now and again (Canesten)
    and that really seems to help keep infections at bay.
    Good luck xxx
  • gc2951
    gc2951 Posts: 30
    Options
    Glad you have lost enough weight to cause a flap! (Sorry about the pun.) I have a little one but it gets infected during the summer. One day as I was putting on my deodorant/antiperspirant, I thought, "Hey! This is to dry up excess moisture!" So I tried it on the pouch and under my breasts where I sweat a lot. It has been working for me. Not a single infection since I started doing this.
    Maybe it will work for you, too.
    Good luck and congratulations on your successful loss!
  • mrsfickle
    mrsfickle Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use Lotrimin Antifungal when irritated and baby powder with cornstarch when not infected. It is painful and embarrasing but can be managed until you have surgery. I want to lose 32 more, then surgery. (although the doctor believes I should now). Good luck!