Reducing My Calories to 1000

Options

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    i been eating 1000 - 1050 calories a day it .. Go to zumba 5 times a week and also walk 4 miles on the weekend.. Feel free to add me.

Please read the rest of this thread.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS.

Weight loss takes knowledge of what to eat, how much to eat, etc., but most of all it takes DISCIPLINE and TIME.

Do it right or don't do it at all.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Rapid fat loss equals rapid fat regain when you up calories back to maintenance. That sounds fantastic, doesn't it not?
  • rinnismom
    Options
    girl, if you can eat less than 1,000 calories a day without passing out or chewing someone's face off, more power to you.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Rapid fat loss equals rapid fat regain when you up calories back to maintenance. That sounds fantastic, doesn't it not?

Besides glycogen and water weight gain, why would one gain additional weight if eating at true maintenance?
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a wise decision. You probably will lose faster but a higher percentage of your loss will be muscle.
  • Demmuscles
    Demmuscles Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! It isn't necessary and it will hinder you, don't waste your hard work...fuel your workouts!

Think about nourishment as opposed to cutting down on calories, if you want to lose faster - eat better food, but not less of it!

:)
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    My doctor manages me between 800-1000 and im doing just fine, i have a problem with under eating, not over eating.. so this is actually more for me than usual, and im still losing.

yes, people DO get fat eating less than 1200 calories.. i did because i was extremely active before, and i had two strokes, causing me to be bed ridden, along with medications for my condition.

Now, with that being said... I would NOT suggest doing this without being under a strict doctors care, getting blood work every 14 days and having a REAL reason for it though.. just wanting to lose weight faster is not good enough. Mine is for a medical reason and i only lose about half to one pound a week. It's NOT to lose weight faster.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Totally unhealthy and it will only come back on.

I have seen people actually gain weight by not eating enough when your body goes into starvation mode.

I HIGHLY recommend NOT dropping below 1300.

Look at the group Eat More to Weigh Less instead. VERY educational.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options

Besides glycogen and water weight gain, why would one gain additional weight if eating at true maintenance?
    It makes a big difference if one has a high amount of body fat when losing weight too rapidly. Your body will want to regain much of what it lost in such a short amount of time.

Autoregulation of body composition during weight recovery in human: the Minnesota Experiment revisited.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8696417
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    your profile says you want to not just look good but also be healthy. I do not believe 1000 calories will help you become healthy. Best thing would be to ask your Dr what he/she thinks is a good calorie level for you.
  • sparkyval
    Options
    Hey there, I know everyone has commented enough about this, but I thought I might add some things for you to think about. First I agree with the others regarding speaking with your doctor. They will assess how tall you are and also your bone structure. If you are in fact small boned and short it may be appropriate to cut your calories to 1000 IF you are not seeing a loss. You don't say what faster means...in my case, I am short and small boned. I have lost close to 57 pounds however it is becoming so slow as in .4 pounds every two weeks. That is with walking an average of 5 miles a day, some days more and some days less, as well as working a physical job. I currently attempt to maintain the 1200 calories and I have been trying MFP's recommendations as well but in the end, I am older and so that is another factor. These are all things I discuss with my doctor and you should too.
    The studies on starvation mode and all are as follows ( I know because I have researched the actual findings extensively to find out what I can do to jumpstart a faster weight loss and I still have no answers.)
    Starvation mode actually kicks in for the majority of adults after consuming 800 calories or less for an extended period of time. It may be true that your body will adjust to a lower calorie rate but there are no conclusive studies on this. The starvation mode has been studied and the 800 calories per day or less appears to be the conclusive number. Symptoms of starvation mode are things like becoming obsessed with food and its preparation, waking up in the middle of the night, dreaming of food, and/or dream eating in the middle of the night sometimes with no recollection among other things.
    That being said, it is as many people mentioned above, extremely difficult to balance and obtain all of the necessary nutrients the lower you go calorically.
    I think you have posted you are 27? You are young enough that you shouldn't need to drop your calories that low and it may in fact cause you to eventually binge rebound...but that being said, the fact that your mom is morbidly obese may mean you have more to deal with then a normal 27 year old...again seek the doctor out.
    How slow is too slow?
    So I do feel your pain if you are working hard and it is coming off barely at all as I am in the same situation, but by the same token, if you are losing a pound or two a week, that would be really good progress and so even considering such a reduction might not be wise..only you know the answers and the situation.
    Best wishes and hope it all works out well for you.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    OH! i forgot, SQUAT!!!!!!! and EAT!
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    Wait for it... wait for it... this thread is about to explode with an angry mob... andy minute now....
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I want to lose the weight a bit faster and I'm already exercising 7 days a week.
    Wondering if it would be unhealthy to cut my calories to 1000 daily

Short answer: Except for RARE exceptions, NOOOOO!!!

I noticed that several things were missing from your post: current/goal weight, current plan (e.g. daily cal deficit, lbs/wk), current cal intake, height, etc. Have you calculated your TDEE yet?
    Don't feel overwhelmed by these terms, etc. There's plenty of resources and support on this site, both electronic and air-breathing! Feel free to add me as a friend if you want. I log religiously and am online daily.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I do not recommend it in most cases. This is unless you are like below 5'0" or something. Weight does not come on us overnight and alas, it does not leave overnight. Weight lost slowly tends to stay off better. Try to be patient. Also, going below 1200 calories per day can cause you to lose weight more slowly since your metabolism often slows down when you attempt this. Best wishes on a successful journey.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Wait for it... wait for it... this thread is about to explode with an angry mob... any minute now....

Well, ok, fine.

# 3 is especially nice, because it shows that by eating more, you can get the metabolism sped back up again.
    And my metabolism, I don't mean BMR which may only lower a tad below what is expected with weight loss anyway, but RMR and other functions.

Showing the predicted changes in metabolic rates decline sharply in individuals undergoing adaptive thermogenesis which does lead to plateauing. ie suppressed BMR, slower metabolism, ect.

1 - Christian Weyer, Roy L Walford, Inge T Harper, Mike Milner, Taber MacCallum, P Antonio Tataranni and Eric Ravussin, "Energy metabolism after 2 y of energy restriction: the Biosphere 2 experiment", American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 72, No. 4, 946-953, October 2000. Free Full Text
    2 - Friedlander AL, et al. "Three weeks of caloric restriction alters protein metabolism in normal-weight, young men" Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab., 2005 Sep;289(3):E446-55. Epub 2005 May 3. PMID: 15870104
    3 - Welle SL, Seaton TB, Campbell RG. "Some metabolic effects of overeating in man", Am J Clin Nutr. 1986 Dec;44(6):718-24. PMID: 3538842
    4 - Martin CK, Heilbronn LK, de Jonge L, Delany JP, Volaufova J, Anton SD, Redman LM, Smith SR, Ravussin E. "Effect of calorie restriction on resting metabolic rate and spontaneous physical activity", Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007 Dec;15(12):2964-73. PMID: 18198305
    5 - Rosenbaum M, Hirsch J, Gallagher DA, Leibel RL., Long-term persistence of adaptive thermogenesis in subjects who have maintained a reduced body weight. Am J Clin Nutr., 2008 Oct;88(4):906-12. PMID: 18842775
  • bestbassist
    bestbassist Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I say go for it regardless of what the herd likes to preach. It's your body, so do with it as you please. I ate low amounts of calories for years to maintain my desired aesthetic, and I felt and looked great. Always checked out fine at the doctor's office, too. The only reason I gained weight in the past few years is because of medication. So contrary to what the doom and gloomers here say, you won't necessarily balloon out if you suddenly stop the low calorie intake in the future. You know what's best. If you feel good eating 1000 calories then go for it!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

It makes a big difference if one has a high amount of body fat when losing weight too rapidly. Your body will want to regain much of what it lost in such a short amount of time.

Autoregulation of body composition during weight recovery in human: the Minnesota Experiment revisited.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8696417

Thanks for the link. That's perhaps the scientific explanation as to why several of my clients are failing to lose weight. Despite eating at what their body bugg tells them is their maintenance.
  • theblitz
    Options
    I did that..

it worked for a while. then I had a slow metabolism and all my little slip-ups made me gain weight.

Clean up your eating. Don't restrict. It will come off.