Never been skinny

Options
I recently bought the womens health mag, which I love. in it was a woman my height, my starting size who became a runner after reaching my EXACT ideal weight. I like to think of what it would be like to run and NOT get tired after 5 minutes. But mostly I think of all the things I feel like Im missing because I havent been skinny since I was a child. 9 or so. So I think I need to hear that I will feel better, you know? I'm afraid of losing the weight mostly because I dont know what it's like to be healthy or not feel like Im so huge. I'm also afraid that even when I reach 60 down I won't notice the difference.
Anyway, I suppose I need encouragement from people who lost weight and kept it off, and felt... better

Replies

• kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I'm no where near where I want to be yet... BUT maybe you should focus more on the health factors instead of the numbers, size, etc....
    It may even help you to focus on 10% at a time.... "They" say that losing 10% of your body weight reduces your chances of weight related illnesses (heart attack, stroke, diabetes).... Focus on getting HEALTHY!!! Each step you take, each pound you lose, is one step closer to a healthier you!! And even ONE pound makes a diifference... Just continue to lose one pound at a time!! :drinker: like one step at a time... you (and I) will get there!!!
  • mstanley
    mstanley Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have never been at my ideal weight either, except when I was very young. I'm still not there yet, but I can tell you that you will definitely feel better both physically and mentally! You WILL see the difference especially when your favorite clothes start falling off of you and you have to shop for more. You will feel more self-confident and proud of yourself, and you will feel more energetic and healthy (which is so important)! I am at a weight I never thought I would reach again and I feel great, but I also know I still have a journey ahead of me to get where I need to be! You can do it, and it will change your whole perspective!
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Trust me....you WILL see and feel a difference....its not about what others see, its about how you feel about it. Good Luck to you~! Dont give up...everyone has days when we feel like giving up....
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    :) You will notice it, even 5lbs down!! I feel so amazing when I am getting fit, and my body recognizes my efforts. It's a process, though, for sure, so you have to be willing to re-train yourself and every once in a while you might fall off the wagon, but don't give up.

I'm to the point now where if I eat something unhealthy, my body goes WTF? And I LOVE that -- I don't want to fill up on junk anymore because the benefits of just eating healthier are so great. I feel like the weight loss is just a wonderful wonderful bonus.

I love Women's Health, by the way, that magazine has saved my a** from morphing into something unrecognizable.

I gained so much self-confidence by just losing 15 lbs. I ran a half marathon last year, went sky-diving, just did a polar plunge. Not all are things that I would originally associate with being healthier, but it seriously does make you feel like you can do ANYTHING.

Good luck to you!! It's an amazing journey, and we are taking the scenic route.
  • motherhippo
    motherhippo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way as you. One of the questions that I always asked is how do I feel good about where I am and still want to change. I asked a woman once who was very thin and who wanted to lose more weight if she would be happy with her body when she lost that 5 lbs and she honestly said no. It really hit home that no matter what weight I was, I needed to seriously look at my body image and the way I felt about myself. I wasn't going to do all that work to lose just to not feel good about myself anyway. I still haven't worked out a good answer to the question, but I guess if I can be healthier and reduce my risks for other diseases and fit on the rides at amusement parks again I will try and remember to appreciate where I am this time.:heart:
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    If you (like the previous poster) has problems with who you are in general, your main issue isn't a "weight" issue... Losing weight won't MAKE you a happy person if you are genuinely miserable... I hope that you can find it within your self to love YOU for who you are.... and just work on making a healthier you... Here's wishing you the best...:drinker:
  • It takes a while but you will feel it. I started the couch to 5K program last summer. It is a great tool to get you started running esp when you feel tired after just 5 mins now. The program was kind of tough for me since I could barely even jog 60 secs when I first started. I took weeks to complete week one and weeks to complete weeks two and three. Even now I'm still more on the week five stage but the feeling I get when I realize I've jogged for 5, 10 or even 15 mins without stoping is so amazing. I haven't really completed the program because I started just jog walking at my own pace but I am very happy with where I am now and I can not only see the changes in my body but I FEEL so many more changes. This summer I was 275ish pounds and I am now 220. Yup still over 200 pounds but I run! Today I even took a really big step and went for a run at my lunch hour. I FEEL more like a runner today than I have in the past 8 months! And it feels soooo good!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    You will feel amazing! People ask me that all the time, " how do you feel"? And I tell them all how amazing I feel! How wonderful it is to be smaller and have tons of energy and how I have a spring in my step and that even after working all day on my feet I still go to the gym for two hours everynight. Life is awesome and amazing when you shed those pounds, trust me!!
    Good luck to you!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    it's all about taking 1 day at a time. I am not even close to where I would like to be. I have been overweight most of my adult life so this is really scarey for me to see where it will take me. But I am ready for the life changing journey and I embrace the change. I have lost 25lbs so far and although I can't physically see it in myself, I can feel it. I have more energy and I fit better in my clothes and for me it's a start. Only today, did someone finally tell me that I am losing weight and they can see it. It's not about how fast I lose or who can see it and who can't but it is about being healthy and not having high blood pressure and living and not trying to sleep propped up on pillows because it feels like the fat around my neck is choking me in my sleep.

Bottom line! I feel great (even at this stage in my lifestyle change) and I can breathe!!!!!