Music While Running?

Options
13»

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I started running with music when I got the Zombie app, and I only have Aha and U2 on my phone, so that's what I run to. My pace is very even, so I wonder if I should up the tempo of my music and see what happens.

I think i'd practice without before a race where I couldn't have them. Not that I've been in a race yet, but someday...
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    running without music in no way qualifies anyone to be a 'proper' runner as is popular belief.
  • Sam426f
    Sam426f Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It all depends on my mood, I have recently joined a running club and now really enjoy running along chatting however, if i am going for a quick fast paced run alone I would prefer to have some upbeat music, it gives me a distraction from being out of breath!
  • belben22
    Options
    I love my music when I am working out...It really helps me push through the pain & keep going...I do notice though that it does slow me down, when a slower song comes on I tend to slow down and then speed up when a faster song comes on. That comes down to me setting my player to only have the killer workout music on it.
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    When I'm doing an easy run I listen to music. Makes the time go by. When I'm doing a tempo run or speed training I don't listen to music. I have to focus on my breathing, technique, and steps. If you do listen to music I recommend not doing it if you run on streets with cars. I tend to stick to the trails. For those of you who do like listening to music when you run here's 6.5 hours of music:

http://ilovetorun262.blogspot.com/2012/11/65-hours-of-running-music.html
  • Karrie262
    Options
    I love my music when I am working out...It really helps me push through the pain & keep going...I do notice though that it does slow me down, when a slower song comes on I tend to slow down and then speed up when a faster song comes on. That comes down to me setting my player to only have the killer workout music on it.

I have the same problem. It's best to keep songs with higher BPMs on the playlist :)
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I cycle and I definately need music on, I have it on a volume which allows me to still be aware of my surroundings, I just find that I keep a better pace with some tunes going on and kind of gives me another focus besides the x amount of miles and hills left to go.

I had a bit of Gangnam Style on this morning and whether you like it or not it gets you moving.
  • MissEmilee
    Options
    Running with music has been proven to help. One magazine estimated a 30% improvement in endurance and speed. If you listen to the right music it will help your pace. Try to find a music with a beat that your feet can follow to keep your splits consistent. Then try to ween yourself off to every other lap, then to the first and last, then just the last. Try running with and without music just so you don't get bored. Hope this helps!

Also, you can generally google songlists that will keep you on pace for a specific mile time. This might help you start out.
  • Karrie262
    Options
    I lose the ability to follow spoken word stories when my HR gets above 80% and my thoughts just float. Like skipping stones on a pond. Part of the magic for me. Music lets me come and go which is great.

I feel the same type of magic...
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options

Agree with this. If I have to listen to myself breathe, it starts to mess with me and I end up breating way too heavy and have even hyperventilated before.

this happens to me a lot! i have to remember to focus on the music, not my tempo or my breathing or else it gets bad.

I'm also curious as to what race would say no music? I, personally, wouldn't sign up for a race that had that as a rule. You could play music through your phone speaker if you wanted, though.

A lot of races say no music - they have to say that for liability issues. They want runners to be aware of their surroundings, so they don't veer into traffic or miss signals from race officials. If someone does get hurt because they couldn't hear, they can say "Not our fault, we told him/her not to have headphones." Most race officals have better things to do than to be earbud police, so it's generally overlooked, but almost all major races will have that rule.

interesting! I've run a lot of races, and have never heard that rule! it makes sense though... i would be kinda mad if someone told me to take my headphones out lol. then again, maybe races I've run have had that rule and I just never noticed...