What counts as water?

Options
2»

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses!

I like the part about going by how thirsty you are and the color of your pee.

I only drink like 3 or 4 glasses of water a day but I pee a lot as it is and it's pretty clear, so now I won't feel bad about not drinking all 8.
    And if I count the other stuff I mentioned, it's probably more like 8 anyhow.

Thanks!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I count my water, herbal tea, decaf tea, and regular tea (I don't add sugar, lemon, or cream). Also, black tea only has 50mg of caffine per serving where as coffee has 115-175mg per serving and decaf coffee only has 5-15mg per serving.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I count any drink that doesn't have significant caffeine, alcohol or sodium. Decaf coffee and tea included.

And whether or not 8 glasses a day is a hard and fast rule, the point is to focus on staying well hydrated at all times and tracking my intake here has definitely helped me with that.
  • Pieater
    Pieater Posts: 40
    Options
    I count only plain water or very minimally flavored water as water. Water is my drink of choice, rather than an alternative that I'm forced into. I find that it reduces my allergies into near non-existence, so I've been using it as a treatment for years. I always log other beverages against my caloric intake, but I don't count them as water. I'm not in the habit of using flavors and such in my water, however I wouldn't hesitate to count water with a lemon wedge for example as water (and log the nearly insignificant lemon wedge cals). I drink water based on what my body tells me to do, rather than following specific intake goals and I rarely have days when my water intake is below 8 cups.
  • BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Personally, I count water as water. If I drink green tea I add it to breakfast, lunch or dinner. Or any other beverage. hope that helps
  • IreneV
    IreneV Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I'm in the process of nursing school and when I took physiology last year, my teacher, who has a PhD in physiology and has been working in the field for 20 years, told us that the "drink 8 glasses of water a day" thing is a total myth.

Your teacher is absolutely right. Go by the frequency and the color of your urine and you can hardly go wrong.

Irene (dietician/sports nutritionist)
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I HATE water....I drink maybe one glass a day of regular water...if i'm lucky!