Lunch ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    -I have four children currently between the ages of 6 and 14, and I was a stay-at-home mom for 12 years. I know exactly where you're coming from. My life-savers were:

--raw chopped veggies with low fat dips(carrots, peppers, celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, etc) If you prep them earlier, they're very quick.
    --fresh fruits and/or fruit/veggie drinks (my kids love the SunRype or V8 fruit plus veggies juice, strawberry banana flavour).
    -macaroni and cheese, with finely chopped broccoli or cauliflower--you can get the whole grain variety of KD.
    --veggie frozen pizza--you can always sprinkle extra veggies on the top.
    --if you like to bake, replace some of the milk or water in the recipe with an equal amount of baby food pureed carrots, squash or peaches, with a little water to thin it. Works well for baking mixes as well and adds a nice "home-made flavour and a little colour. I also replace some of the white flour with wheat germ. You can add baby food carrots or squash to almost anything. eg. ,spaghetti sauce, sauce pizza sauce, meatloaf/hamburger mixtures ,mashed potatoes (add a little cheddar and call them `golden potatoes) and the previously mentioned baked goods.)
    --I got my kids to eat broccoli by telling them they could pretend to be dinosaurs eating `trees`and adding a little cheese sauce. This worked well for my 3 boys, although my daughter was and is pickier.

Hope this helps!

I used to buy veggies, steam them, then puree them to freeze for 'fillers' in different recipes. I feel DUMB for never considering baby food for the job! Lol! This is brilliant! Definitely going to buy some when I go shopping again!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Burrito bowl is one of my favorite lunches!

Black beans (or whatever sort of beans I have in the pantry)
    Rice if I've got any leftover from dinner
    Plain Greek yogurt (instead of sour cream)
    Avocado
    Tomatoes
    Salsa
    Cheese
    Shredded lettuce
    Chips (optional)

I'm a meat eater, so I usually toss some leftover chicken, beef or pork in there if I've got it, or I'll cook up a couple of chicken tenders for it - they thaw out and cook up quickly!

Delicious, filling and healthy!
  • MTrevis
    MTrevis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe by Dr. Fuhrman that is along the lines of this...
    1 can of black beans, drained
    1 avocado
    juice of 1 lime
    1 garlic clove
    fresh cilantro
    taco sauce or salsa
    1/2 green pepper diced

Mix togeter and serve on leaves of romaine lettuce. It's awesome!
  • LJBaker79
    Options
    I ALWAYS struggle with lunch too for some reason, so I am loving all of these ideas. Thanks everyone! Here are a few of my favorites:

- Low-carb tortilla spread with garlic hummus and topped with broccoli slaw. Roll up and enjoy!
    - Green beans sauteed with diced tomatoes, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes, topped with a little fresh Parmesan cheese.
    - Open-faced egg, Canadian bacon and cheese sandwich
    - Veggie curry soup. (Toss a bag of frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrots in a pot and cover with water or chicken stock. Cook until veggies are tender and then blend until creamy with an immersion blender. Stir in some salt, pepper and curry powder to taste. I like it with a kick!)
  • fp64
    fp64 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe by Dr. Fuhrman that is along the lines of this...
    1 can of black beans, drained
    1 avocado
    juice of 1 lime
    1 garlic clove
    fresh cilantro
    taco sauce or salsa
    1/2 green pepper diced

Mix togeter and serve on leaves of romaine lettuce. It's awesome!
    I'm borrowing this recipe. Or just call it stealing. THANKS
  • Fit_And_Heathy_Goalie
    Options
    I have a couple suggestions:

Saute a lb. of 99% lean ground turkey, with chopped onions and add mexican/taco spices (cumin, garlic power, paprika, chili powder, etc). Store in the refrigerator. Add 4 ounces to prechopped romaine lettuce. Top with 2 Tbl. guacamole or avacado, reduced fat cheese blend, light sour cream, tomatoes. It's an easy, filling lunch!

I always keep a few cans of albacore tuna or canned salmon on hand. Mix 2 ounces tuna with 2 cups broccoli slaw, light seasame or basalmic dressing (I keep one of each on hand from Trader Joes), Also mix in 2Tbl. sliced or slivered almonds. Super easy and filling, plus a good mix of veggies, good fats and protein.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are good, too, if you can keep fruit (either fresh or frozen) on hand.

1C milk of your choice
    fruit of your choice
    maybe peanut butter
    maybe protein powder

Whatever you want, experiment and have fun!
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    BUMP - thanks for the great ideas!
  • FitinHonau
    FitinHonau Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Chicken & Pesto Rice

Preparation time – 10 mins
    Cooking time – 1 hour
    Serves 4

Ingredients
    • 4 chicken legs with skin on
    • 6oz rice
    • 500ml chicken stock
    • Half a jar of green pesto – I like the Barilla brand
    • 1 onion
    • 1 carrot
    • Mushrooms
    • 1 pepper

Method
    1) Chop vegetables and mix with uncooked rice in an overproof dish.
    2) Place chicken legs on top
    3) Stir the pesto into the stock
    4) Pour over chicken legs, veg and rice
    5) Place on oven for 1 hour at about 190C
    6) Let it rest for 10 mins before serving

My friend’s recipe says to brown the chicken first – a couple of minutes either side on a high heat. I tried the recipe without doing this and as we remove the skin to eat, it didn’t seem to matter that I hadn’t browned it first. The skin crisps up at the top anyway.

It is a very easy receipe, You can make it as well withough the chicken.
  • MrsOMG
    MrsOMG Posts: 84
    Options
    Scrambled egg with skimmed milk in a corn or small tortilla with chopped spring onion and chillies is a fave in my household, can add 1/4 chopped avocado aswell to make more substantial.

Soup also really good, large portions of mainly stock soups are very filling but low on cals - two i like making are...

Spiced sweet potato-
    fry garlic, ginger and chilli in spray oil add spring onion
    cube one small sweet potato and stir into mixture
    then add 500ml veg or chicken stock
    put a lid on and leave until potatoes soft
    then blitz with food processor
    can serve with a swirl of no fat greek yogurt and a shaving of cheese

Tomato soup -
    can of chopped tomatoes into pan
    add 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
    1/2 beef stock
    any seasoning - i use chiptole paste and smoked paprika and a dry italian seasoning
    simmer on hob for 10 minutes
    then blitz and serve with grating of parmesan
    =127 calories
  • iSurvive
    Options
    This is so awesome, thank so much for all the great ideas!!
  • vegasgirl36
    Options
    TURKEY CHILI IS MY FAVORITE! YOU MAKE IT WITH LEAN TURKEY MEAT INSTEAD OF GROUND BEEF..... UMMMMM IM HUNGRY
  • Chelle175
    Chelle175 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I find a really good recipe like a chinese chicken salad or quinoa salad....make it once, portion it out and eat it all week.

If you want something hot, try veggie or maybe chicken and veggie quesadillas...easy and great tasting.
  • asiamj
    asiamj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been eating these prepackage salad bowls. They are tasty, filling, low on calories and easy on the wallet. Where I am at, I buy 3 at a time for only $3 bucks each.

http://www.readypac.com/product-category/bistro/

My problem is dinner :(
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    This is my absolute favorite lunch lately. It takes a little cutting up of vegetables and stuff, but SO satisfying!
    Like Mexican 7 layer dip - - but GREEK 7 layer dip! I scoop it up with Special K multi-grain crackers.....

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/healthified-greek-layered-dip/24eff6f4-e76d-40f3-8803-61594ddc56f9
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Bump for the chicken and pesto rice recipe and the greek 7-layer dip.