Ask Questions/ Recieve Tips

Options

Replies

• EllabelleMarie
    Options
    I'm a complete beginner at working out. I've been doing only cardio 3-4 times a week, either 20 minutes on the elliptical and 10 on the recumbent bike or 30 minutes on the treadmill- walking (3.0) and jogging (5.0). I've heard so many different things about cardio, that I should only be walking briskly, or that bursts of jogging are more effective... my only goal is to burn fat, I don't really care that much about building muscle. What is the most effective routine? (what machine? how often? how long?)
  • MrJaxon25wechanged
    Options
    I'm a complete beginner at working out. I've been doing only cardio 3-4 times a week, either 20 minutes on the elliptical and 10 on the recumbent bike or 30 minutes on the treadmill- walking (3.0) and jogging (5.0). I've heard so many different things about cardio, that I should only be walking briskly, or that bursts of jogging are more effective... my only goal is to burn fat, I don't really care that much about building muscle. What is the most effective routine? (what machine? how often? how long?)

Well if "fat burning" is your goal, then I suggest HIIT Cardio (High Intensity Interval Training). 20 total mins consisting of intervals of 90 seconds of jogging followed with 30 seconds of sprinting. Always constantly moving, never walking or standing. But do remember, building muscles will burn fat...
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
  • MrJaxon25wechanged
    Options
    Do you think doing these daily routines every day they were assigned. plus about 45 minutes of walking every other day is enough to help me tone up and lose a bit of belly fat? Also, do you think it would be too much to add the 30 day shred as well? How many calories do you think I burn?

Does anyone have any ideas?

How long have you been doing this routine? Think about upping the caloric burn (15 min jog w/ 30 min walk) Add light weight ( can consist of only body weight exercises at home) program to your routine.
  • MrJaxon25wechanged
    Options
    Also though, do not recommend calling potential clients 'lazy'. You're more likely to treat the former couch potato than the A-star athlete.

I wan not referring to any specific person being lazy. I was using it as an example of a person's exercise/health history. One thing to remember, the first step to becoming a more health/motivated person, is to admit that you aren't to begin with.

I didn't take personal offense (I'm not lazy, and my BMI is 19.4.) I'm pretty sure that most obese people know they are, though. Laziness has less to do with obesity than a whole lifetime of various intrapsychic and interpersonal dynamics, education, etc. Even using the word tells me this isn't something that's currently part of your understanding. Just saying, ex couch potato population = whole different psychology/motivational orientation than performance athletes, & it's worth spending time learning about them.

Thanks for the tips....but I have been in the business for quite sometime now. And I do not use words like that, because most of the people that I would be referring the words to, do not know the meanings of them. I keep things simple for people, because the more simple something is, the easier it is to comprehend. Also, I am not looking for clients on this site. I am here to offer help/tips. You seem like your are qualified in the area, so why are you asking for my help? Also, who cares about BMI, it means nothing....
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Do you think doing these daily routines every day they were assigned. plus about 45 minutes of walking every other day is enough to help me tone up and lose a bit of belly fat? Also, do you think it would be too much to add the 30 day shred as well? How many calories do you think I burn?

How long have you been doing this routine? Think about upping the caloric burn (15 min jog w/ 30 min walk) Add light weight ( can consist of only body weight exercises at home) program to your routine.

I'm on to month two. why?
  • MrJaxon25wechanged
    Options

If you have lost 9 pounds doing this routine, in only 1 month....then you have nothing to change.... Keep doing what you're doing. After the 3 month mark, change it up.

I'm on to month two. why?
  • MrJaxon25wechanged
    Options
    Also though, do not recommend calling potential clients 'lazy'. You're more likely to treat the former couch potato than the A-star athlete.

I wan not referring to any specific person being lazy. I was using it as an example of a person's exercise/health history. One thing to remember, the first step to becoming a more health/motivated person, is to admit that you aren't to begin with.

I didn't take personal offense (I'm not lazy, and my BMI is 19.4.) I'm pretty sure that most obese people know they are, though. Laziness has less to do with obesity than a whole lifetime of various intrapsychic and interpersonal dynamics, education, etc. Even using the word tells me this isn't something that's currently part of your understanding. Just saying, ex couch potato population = whole different psychology/motivational orientation than performance athletes, & it's worth spending time learning about them.

Also, do you really think that I would talk to a cliet like that ?? Not at all. But, I am not dealing with a client on this site. I am talking to the general public. I was simply using it as an example.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    My HR is consistently above the range recommended by my Polar FT4. I'm 39 and it frequently gets up into the 180's during weight lifting. I do lift as heavy as I can and my HR gets back to the lower end of the recommended range during rest time. Is it OK for it to get that high just during the actual sets? I feel fine and can say the 3-5 word sentence when it's high.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on low carb?
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
  • MrJaxon25wechanged
    Options

By no means am I offended by your comments, or have I taken them the wrong way. I truely do believe you are concerned with everything you have said. I just want to stress that I do not think of obese people in that way. A lot of it has to do with their up bringing and family lifestyles. But, at the end of the day, regardless of what you or I can say to them.....They are the ONLY peole in charge of making a change.

Also, do you really think that I would talk to a cliet like that ?? Not at all. But, I am not dealing with a client on this site. I am talking to the general public. I was simply using it as an example.

Ok ok! No, I'm not qualified in anything fitness-related, but I do take an interest (mostly because of various injuries!). My questions were real.
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My fiance hurt his shoulder and has not been able to lift weights for two months. It still hurts! What should he do?
  • timmyb057
    timmyb057 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    First, thanks for all your info and help!

I'm about 10 lbs now from my goal, and (mostly due to a change in healthier eating and higher activity level) have been running a fairly significant deficit lately (800-900 cals a day, even with more "meals" and feel like I'm eating a ton!). That last 10 is mostly around the mid-section, but I'm trying to add in some strength training (been doing mostly cardio for the last 2 years). A lot of the info I've seen on "building muscle" vs. "losing fat" is contradictory (caloric surpluses vs. deficits, etc..). If I wanted to start really focusing on the strength training side, should I try to go up more to "maintenance" calories (still doing my cardio with the strength training), or continue running deficits until I'm at my target, then try to bulk up the muscle from there?

Any advice would be great! Thanks again!
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm a beginner when it comes to exercise. Whenever I do exercise I just do about an hour of brisk walking, however I am going to join a gym and wanted to know if I should stick with just cardio for right now, or incorporate some strength training as well? I'm 32, never really exercised, and have about 30lbs to lose, and all of my weight is on my upper half. If you suggest strength training, could you provide examples of what you think might work best for me? Thanks.
  • MrJaxon25wechanged
    Options
    Is body weight strength training enough to protect my bone-density as I age, or do I really need to start lifting weights at a gym?

Right now, actual weight training would be best. But obviously as one ages, and can not lift, body weight exercises/ pool exercises are great!
  • MrJaxon25wechanged
    Options
    I'm a beginner when it comes to exercise. Whenever I do exercise I just do about an hour of brisk walking, however I am going to join a gym and wanted to know if I should stick with just cardio for right now, or incorporate some strength training as well? I'm 32, never really exercised, and have about 30lbs to lose, and all of my weight is on my upper half. If you suggest strength training, could you provide examples of what you think might work best for me? Thanks.

Continue with cardio to help build up your heart's endurance. Remember, it is hard to judge somone's routine without looking at their food intake. Ask yourself, "Am i doing my best with my food intake to help my exercise routine"
  • MrJaxon25wechanged
    Options
    First, thanks for all your info and help!

I'm about 10 lbs now from my goal, and (mostly due to a change in healthier eating and higher activity level) have been running a fairly significant deficit lately (800-900 cals a day, even with more "meals" and feel like I'm eating a ton!). That last 10 is mostly around the mid-section, but I'm trying to add in some strength training (been doing mostly cardio for the last 2 years). A lot of the info I've seen on "building muscle" vs. "losing fat" is contradictory (caloric surpluses vs. deficits, etc..). If I wanted to start really focusing on the strength training side, should I try to go up more to "maintenance" calories (still doing my cardio with the strength training), or continue running deficits until I'm at my target, then try to bulk up the muscle from there?

Any advice would be great! Thanks again!

Depending on how long your have been exercising, try throwing in CrossTraining and HIIT Cardio. Do not do both in the same day. Try it out for at least a month and see what your mid-section is looking like. Keep your good eating habits up and it will all pay off. Its a marathon not a sprint. GOOD LUCK !
  • MrJaxon25wechanged
    Options
    My fiance hurt his shoulder and has not been able to lift weights for two months. It still hurts! What should he do?

GO TO THE DOCTOR ! 2 months of pain is 1 month and 2 weeks too long.
  • MrJaxon25wechanged
    Options
    What are your thoughts on low carb?

I personally load in the mornings and stay away at night. I try to stay away before a period of sleep.