Does Yogurt cancel out Whey protein

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    a trainer i had a while back said that you dont benefit as much from the protein when you eat it in a sugary substance such as milk. I am not sure why this is, but I have heard that you shouldn't mix protein with milk, you should use water instead so this may have something to do with it. I dont follow this since i dont like protein mixed with just water, but its just something ive heard.

Your trainer is wrong. I don't suppose he also manages a Booster Juice?

Well i didnt say that he was right anyway, not sure why you have to attack everything everyone says, Sidesteel. Im just giving another opinion. My trainer has placed very highly in many bodybuilding competitions, so i tend to listen to him more than someone on MFP that has about 1/10 of his muscle mass. He is well known across the usa-doesn't mean he is right, but then again maybe he is :-)

Stating a fact is not attacking. Would you want there to be myths continuing to be perpetuated as no-one is 'allowed' to challenge them?

Also, personal attacks are not good form on here. Just thought you may like to know that.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    a trainer i had a while back said that you dont benefit as much from the protein when you eat it in a sugary substance such as milk. I am not sure why this is, but I have heard that you shouldn't mix protein with milk, you should use water instead so this may have something to do with it. I dont follow this since i dont like protein mixed with just water, but its just something ive heard.

Well i didnt say that he was right anyway, not sure why you have to attack everything everyone says, Sidesteel. Im just giving another opinion. My trainer has placed very highly in many bodybuilding competitions, so i tend to listen to him more than someone on MFP that has about 1/10 of his muscle mass. He is well known across the usa-doesn't mean he is right, but then again maybe he is :-)

I wasn't attacking you.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I decided I should just be dancing instead....

jingleheimer.gif
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

:grumble:

sorry babycakse..didnt want to stoop.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    a trainer i had a while back said that you dont benefit as much from the protein when you eat it in a sugary substance such as milk. I am not sure why this is, but I have heard that you shouldn't mix protein with milk, you should use water instead so this may have something to do with it. I dont follow this since i dont like protein mixed with just water, but its just something ive heard. Also, i dont think that its "bad" to do. i think there is some reason why some of the protein powder is not absorbed correctly when sugar is involved.
    It's my understanding that the insulin spike created by a sugary substance is beneficial in the uptake of nutrients, including protein, rather than detrimental.

Someone correct me if I've got that completely mixed up.

I have also read on MFP that this isnt true. Its kinda difficult to find the truth on MFP. thats why i just do what works for me.

You know what else works really well? Something I've subscribed to and had great success! Do your own investigating and research. You'd be amazed at the results!!!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    assuming it were true, how would that work with greek yogurt, which contains protein? i just did a quick google search and didn't find anything supporting it, but i'd be curious to find out where he heard that.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    OP - not true, no worries. Protein powder + greek yogurt + thawed frozen berries = amazing noms. Stick it in the freezer for a bit and it gets all ice-crystally.

Sidesteel was just being helpful and not rude at all, unlike the responder. Please be respectful of others here.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Edit: Mixed up my MFPers.

Nothing to see here.

Move along.

Move along.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    a trainer i had a while back said that you dont benefit as much from the protein when you eat it in a sugary substance such as milk. I am not sure why this is, but I have heard that you shouldn't mix protein with milk, you should use water instead so this may have something to do with it. I dont follow this since i dont like protein mixed with just water, but its just something ive heard. Also, i dont think that its "bad" to do. i think there is some reason why some of the protein powder is not absorbed correctly when sugar is involved.
    It's my understanding that the insulin spike created by a sugary substance is beneficial in the uptake of nutrients, including protein, rather than detrimental.

I have also read on MFP that this isnt true. Its kinda difficult to find the truth on MFP. thats why i just do what works for me.

I thought it was that the insulin spike increases the load on the kidneys (although there are some conflicting studies on the effects of the kidneys in regulating plasma glucose), causing metabolism to slow - so that would make it detrimental to the absorption of nutrients. Protein actually impacts the flow of the sugar into the bloodstream, avoiding the insulin spike - increases, but in a more "level" way, which in turn, doesn't cause the metabolism to slow, so it's a good idea to always eat protein with your sugars anyways (per my IR nutritionist). In response to the specific question, I've never heard of any nutrients "cancelling" one another out. It's about a balance of nutrients - one might prevent the absorption of another, but I doubt that this is the case here.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods now sells anti-matter yogurt. True story.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Don't stick your spoon in it
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options

jingleheimer.gif

:heart:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

There's some relatively recent research showing that if the protein dose is significant enough, further addition of carbohydrate does not further enhance protein synthesis. This pretty much states that insulin is elevated substantially enough from Whey alone.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

I use it to power my warp drive.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

jingleheimer.gif

:heart:

That is the funniest gif I've seen in a LONG time.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

It makes me sad to know there are people out here so closed minded.

304059_534342873261837_641447562_n.jpg
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    The body will digest/favor readily available nutrients before it utilized complex nutrients. Those that are not utilized immediately are then stored or converted to energy stores for a later use. Aka fat.

So to avoid this is to make what you ingest in as simple form possible so that the body does utilize what was ingested more readily.. this is as simple as I can explain this.

Forgive any typos as I am using my phones browser.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Stating a fact is not attacking. Would you want there to be myths continuing to be perpetuated as no-one is 'allowed' to challenge them?

Also, personal attacks are not good form on here. Just thought you may like to know that.

Asking if he works at booster juice is not a fact, it is an unnecessary comment meant to insult. not necessary.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I use it to power my warp drive.

You should switch to flux capacitors. Much greener.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

You know what else works really well? Something I've subscribed to and had great success! Do your own investigating and research. You'd be amazed at the results!!!

QFT!