Major Sweet Tooth

Options
As far as eating and exercising, I'm generally on par with one exception- I can never seem to get my sweet tooth under control. This has ALWAYS hindered my good eating habits. I find myself craving sugar no matter what my diet looks like. Sometimes fruit helps, but not always. I eat a good amount of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and make sure to get enough protein and iron. Could it be because of some other nutrient I'm missing? Or is it just a psychological issue? How do you all get a handle on your sweet tooth?

Replies

• illuminatedms
    Options
    Some recent research suggests that sugar, like fat and salt, is physically addictive, though it has been disputed. It's all rat studies, so there's some doubt about its applicability to humans. If so, the best way to beat a sweet tooth is probably to abstain from sweets and desserts completely. I have done that before for other reasons, and the cravings do eventually subside.

But I tend to feel that total deprivation is a miserable way to live life, and the surest way to derail generally healthy eating. So, I tend to build in a few days per week where I can have the odd piece of candy or chocolate, or enjoy dessert. I account for it in my calories, and so it's just part of what I eat for that day.
  • hgoethe
    Options
    Some recent research suggests that sugar, like fat and salt, is physically addictive, though it has been disputed. It's all rat studies, so there's some doubt about its applicability to humans. If so, the best way to beat a sweet tooth is probably to abstain from sweets and desserts completely. I have done that before for other reasons, and the cravings do eventually subside.

But I tend to feel that total deprivation is a miserable way to live life, and the surest way to derail generally healthy eating. So, I tend to build in a few days per week where I can have the odd piece of candy or chocolate, or enjoy dessert. I account for it in my calories, and so it's just part of what I eat for that day.
    I've heard about that as well...I read a study that suggested it was as addicting as cocaine because it has the same effect on your brain. I guess the hardest part is finding the balance between treating yourself and taking it too far...it's a slippery slope! Thanks for your help :)
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. It is SO hard to cut back, but if I can manage for a few days, I do feel like the cravings dissioate. I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you! I'm curious to see what others will say. Good luck to us both! haha :ohwell: