any cat owners?

Options

Replies

• enigmachik
    Options
    I have two cats, have had them for 10 years. I would say my biggest piece of advice is that you (or whoever is thinking of adopting a pet - not trying to be harsh to you specifically!) have to be completely prepared for the permanent responsibility, financially and time-wise. You are taking on the care of a living creature who will depend on you for everything, and you will be its entire world. You can't decide a year or two from now that your furniture or your carpet is more important than that animal if it gets sick and starts peeing on the corner, or gets bored because you don't have time for it and starts scratching the furniture. You have to commit to the fact that if a problem arises, you will do everything you can to solve it, and not just decide that it's too much trouble or hassle and dump the cat back at the shelter or euthanize it.

You have to make sure you can take care of any medical problems that arise, within a reasonable financial limit. I make sure I have enough money set aside for yearly exams and vaccines (can be up to $150) as well as other regular treatments that may arise (dewormers, antibiotics, etc). I also have a larger sum of money set aside in case of an emergency. Vet bills are not cheap, but contrary to what some people think, veterinarians are not out to make a quick buck off of you. Take a look at this article for an explanation of why vets charge what they do:
    http://www.askavetquestion.com/why-are-vets-so-expensive.php

Cats are also a time commitment. They are not ornaments, and (most of them) don't just sleep on the sofa all day then wait to cuddle with you at night. They need mental stimulation and attention as well as physical activity. You also have to be willing to be patient with them if behavioural or medical problems arise. If they start peeing outside the litter box, it can be months of problem-solving and trying new things to solve the issue. If they get sick, you might have to give them medicine every day.

I love my cats, and they reward me every hour with their antics and affection. But I'm also aware of my responsibility to them, and I would never take their trust in me for granted.

This.

People who think animals are toys there to entertain them, then don't want to really be responsible for them, should never have animals.

Very well said!

This. all of it.
  • andrewparker1
    Options
    If you are a responsible person and will love your cat till death due you part. lol. Then you should DEF get a cat. They are the best.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I just adopted my cat last week and things are great. She's a 14mon old tortoise shell. She has all of her claws and GASP. No furniture scratching because when she first came in, we had a scratching post for her and introduced it to her as her spot to scratch. She's scratched on the carpet once, but then I picked her up, redirected her to her post and then once she scratched around on it, gave her a treat. Positive reinforcement.

Yes, cats can be independent creatures, but when they want to be around you, it's the most rewarding of experiences. I would recommend getting your cat from a shelter. You can get a better match that way. And they come with all of their shots, spay/neuter, microchipped. I was going to get a kitten from Craigslist but once I added up the cost (and I didn't even know if the kittens were healthy or what kind of background they had) the shelter was a much better idea. And you're saving a life.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Cats do scratch, but if you get a kitten then you can get it declawed, which is when the vet does surgery to take the claws out. It's supposedly less painful for kittens.
    As for cats peeing everywhere, my girl kitties don't do that. Boy kitties do that to mark their territory. So maybe try to get a girl cat?

Overall, I think cats are great pets and you should totally get one :) I LOVE my cats
  • corn63
    Options
    Cats do scratch, but if you get a kitten then you can get it declawed, which is when the vet does surgery to take the claws out. It's supposedly less painful for kittens.
    As for cats peeing everywhere, my girl kitties don't do that. Boy kitties do that to mark their territory. So maybe try to get a girl cat?

Overall, I think cats are great pets and you should totally get one :) I LOVE my cats

Declawing is a horrible thing to do. It's essentially chopping off their "fingers" at the knuckle. There are far better alternatives.
  • my_so_called_life
    Options
    I love cats :) I have a 3 year old fluffy tabby and even though he can be a bit needy sometimes, he is an awesome friend to me. There is work to caring for a cat just like any other animal but it's all worth it in the end.

You don't have to declaw. I have used nail caps for my cat. They work really well but you can also train your cat to only scratch on their scratch post. It can be done, but it's all up to you!

I would personally get a kitten just because you can train them and they can grow to be more attached BUT adopting an adult cat would also be great, your preference.
  • MrMeowGi
    MrMeowGi Posts: 171
    Options
    I LOVE CATS.
  • newmanmb463
    newmanmb463 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Why is declawing considered so inhumane, yet neutering a cat is apparently ok?
  • corn63
    Options

Not neutering leads to all kinds of issues that are undesirable but unavoidable with cats that are not neutered. Such as: spraying/marking territory, over population of animals leading to the huge animal problem we already have, they tend to be more aggressive than neutered animals as well. They can be quite destructive as well. But there is no way to "override" that hormonal charge. No amount of training will do so.

By not declawing a cat, you can redirect them and train them not to destroy furniture. Just like training children the desirable behaviors we want them to have, you have to put in the time. It is extremely inhumane to declaw a cat. It amputates them at the knuckle. Imagine someone cutting off your fingers at the knuckle. Also, it leaves their paws open for infection as the wounds can be reopened (or are left open) when they scratch around in the litter box.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

Not neutering leads to all kinds of issues that are undesirable but unavoidable with cats that are not neutered. Such as: spraying/marking territory, over population of animals leading to the huge animal problem we already have, they tend to be more aggressive than neutered animals as well. They can be quite destructive as well. But there is no way to "override" that hormonal charge. No amount of training will do so.

By not declawing a cat, you can redirect them and train them not to destroy furniture. Just like training children the desirable behaviors we want them to have, you have to put in the time. It is extremely inhumane to declaw a cat. It amputates them at the knuckle. Imagine someone cutting off your fingers at the knuckle. Also, it leaves their paws open for infection as the wounds can be reopened (or are left open) when they scratch around in the litter box.

Thank you corn for this!

I had my cat fixed b/c I HAD to per the adoption agreement - I did NOT have to declaw her and when they told me what they do, I refused to. I had to train her as a kitten to not climb up the screen, scratch the furniturel, etc but that was it. I've never had a problem with her clawing up *kitten* and she's a pretty mellow cat (also 7y.o. now) she hides from people and the only person she's hissed at, has been me and frankly I was being a B!TCH to her at the time so I couldn't blame her too much.
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've had many cats over the decades and will have more as they pass away (old age gets them every time). Neutured and declawed every one of them.

Having a cat is a worthwhile thing to do.

I like that we can leave load up the food and water dispensers and bolt for a couple days and know they're perfectly fine.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I've just got two kittens from my mother in law as she is moving and doesn't hAve room for them. She is a beacon for abandoned animals!

They are 10 and 12 weeks old and are so lovely together. I know it's not going to be easy but I'm just stopping them if thru start scratching and moving them to their scratching post instead. We are keeping them in our kitchen while we are at work and asleep until they are old enough to not go mental! Plus we have a fish tank which they have already taken an interest in!
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Declawing is a horrible thing to do. It's essentially chopping off their "fingers" at the knuckle. There are far better alternatives.

ITA. Whatever happened to clipping their nails? That's what I do with my cats. I blunt their nails so they can't hurt anyone or anything.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

Spaying/neutering keeps the pet population from exploding. De-clawing is the equivalent of cutting off a child's fingers at the first knuckle. It can also lead to other problems, like the inability to use the litter box because of how the litter feels on their paws. Also, there's a larger chance of botching the procedure, thus leading to amputating the entire paw. To even compare the two is bloody ridiculous.
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

And also, neutering heals completely, with no lasting issues. Many times cats who are declawed will continue to have pain, or develop pain later in life. Similar to arthritic pain in humans. Let's cut off your toes then make you live in an environment which requires you to jump on and off of things all day and see how you like it.

That said, there have been many, many posts here talking about how wonderful cats are for pets. Let me just add my $0.02 and say that I've had cats my whole life (other than college and while I had an apartment that didn't allow animals) and I just don't think I can live without them. My cat Ginny is very sweet, funny, loving and well behaved.

They are much less work than dogs, they are naturally clean animals and, like dogs, you can find one that is lovey or independent or somewhere in between, less cost than dogs and less noise.

Some tips:
    Please spay or neuter
    Please do not declaw (consider training, or Soft Claws, and provide a scratching post)
    If you live in an area with traffic, don't let your cat outside
    Consider micro-chipping if available and $$$ allow for it
    Use high quality litter and food
    Adopt from your local Humane Society, not a pet store
    Provide somewhere off the floor where the cat can go. If you don't want the cat on your furniture, think about a cat perch. Cats feel safer up high.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask at your local Humane Society, typically they are more than happy to help!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

ITA. Whatever happened to clipping their nails? That's what I do with my cats. I blunt their nails so they can't hurt anyone or anything.

mine chews hers....I dunno lol it's bizarre to me
  • kellis155
    Options
    I love my 2 cats!! However, just be careful, most cats are pretty obvious when they are displeased. My girl will pee on the carpet when she is upset with us. My aunt has a cat that will leave 1 small poop nugget on her pillow if the litter box isn't kept up to his satisfaction. heh.

But the pro's greatly outweigh the con's. Cats are awesome and total lovers.
  • ladymiseryali
    Options

mine chews hers....I dunno lol it's bizarre to me

Saves you the time it takes to clip them yourself I guess. lol
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    *edited to resize pictures.

I adopted 2 kittens a 4 months ago. They're both now 6 months old and I feel so incredibly happy my family agreed to get them! We got two so they can keep each other company when we're gone during the day, and we got one male and one female (neutered and spayed, obviously) because they tend to get along the best.

Mine have never scratched anything other than their scratching post (and my feet, but that's because I play little "hunting games" with them). The male affectionately bites, I've never had trouble with them pooping or peeing outside their litter boxes unless I don't empty it, and they'll usually come get me if one is going to puke or if the female is going to have a hairball. Mine DO love water, and we've had to learn to keep all glasses of water in the sink, all the toilet lids closed, to lock the doors during showers or ELSE they'll try to come for a swim :)That just might be special for mine, though.

As much as I wanted to adopt an older cat, I think I finally agree with my parents that getting a kitten was the best option because they easily and quickly adjusted to my family's lifestyle. Cats are wonderful and owning them is a joy. Right now both are passed out on my lap and it's the cuuutest thing.

and pictures, because they're ridiculously adorable.
    b42e98f3811729ac890a54803b7a5937_30718798.jpg
    bc775e72fce530c7bd8e50c7c700eef9_30718809.jpg
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I have seven, all but one were feral or semi-feral neighborhood strays, and the other one was supposed to be a foster when I worked at a shelter. I'm not good at letting go. :happy:

They don't shred my furniture. They shred their cat tree. And they use their boxes unless I'm a lousy housekeeper and go too long between scooping.

I love that you want to adopt an adult. :heart:

In my experience, male cats tend to be little more affectionate than females. More dog-like. In fact, I call one of mine my "puppycat." He listens better than the dog. For that matter... my other male plays fetch better than the dog. Some of my girls are very loving, but overall... the boys like attention more.

I would give advice on picking out a cat, but... you really don't have any say in the matter. The cat chooses the owner, just like the wands in Harry Potter. I've never been able to pick out a cat. They always picked me.

Best post! :heart:

I love my 4 kitties. :) They're wonderful, sweet, gentle creatures each with their own quirks and personalities. I don't support declawing, it's cruel and there are much better humane ways to deal with scratching! Also, I highly recommend teeth brushing - it prevents a lot of health problems. Cats are great for apartments, imo, as long as you give them places to scratch and definitely try different types of scratchers. Some like posts, some like the flat cardboard ones that double as a bed. And you really shouldn't have any issues with peeing / pooping on floors as long as you clean the box out every day. I do my two boxes twice a day since I have 4 kitties. lol And of course get them spayed / neutered if they're not already! Best of luck in finding your feline companion! :drinker:

Food is important too - I recommend canned food (Friskies / Fancy Feast quality at least is fine) or making your own raw cat food. It's so much cheaper and so much better for them, plus you can make huge batches and freeze individual containers. Just make sure you get the proper vitamins and everything to make the food if you do choose that route. :) Bagged dry food is terrible for cats!