BMI-Is anyone maintaining "Overweight"?

Options
I'm just super curious. I weigh 185ish which puts me in the "overweight" range in BMI. I was wondering if I am the only one who decided to maintain an overweight weight?
I am 5 feet 7 and I think to be in a healthy range I'd have to get into at least the high 150s.
Oh and I mean, my highest weight was 312...so I've lost over 100 pounds. I did at first want to lose to be 150 but now I don't think that is going to happen. I am a size 12 in most clothes, some 14s. Size m-L...
Anyone else happy being "overweight" ? :)

Replies

• maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am still a few pounds into the obese range, so I'm not in your exact situation, but I do wonder what my goal weight should really be. I am 5'6'', started at around 260, joined MFP at 235, am currently 196, and the lowest weight I've maintained as an adult is about 180. I was exercising a lot and eating healthy and I never got below 180, though I didn't have MFP at the time, so maybe I was eating more calories than I thought.

I am trying to take the advice I give others: if you are eating healthy and exercising and staying at the same weight, than that weight is healthy for you. A lot of online "ideal weight" calculators tell me I should be aiming for 160, which is a few pounds overweight for my height. I am going to try to get close to that, but I'm not going to try any crazy tactics to get lower. That is, if the things I'm doing now allow me to get to a lower number, that's fine, but if they don't, that's fine too. I am more focused on having healthy habits than on getting to a specific number. I am paying some attention to body fat percentage -- I would like to be more fit, regardless of weight.
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
    Well I have never been a healthy weight as an adult!! Like I remember when I was in 4th grade I weighed 172!! So I don't know if my body thinks that this is its set point. I did get back down to 175ish but am now at 185 and maintain this surprisingly well.
    I do exercise & eat decently. I eat lots of fruits & veggies. I don't count macros, I just watch my calories. On the weekends I do splurge but I remind myself I don't eat like that everyday and so it is only allowed one day a week.
  • NextChapter60
    NextChapter60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago I lost weight to within 20 pounds of the upper limit of a "normal" BMI for my height (5'5"). I was ecstatic at the time, wearing 12s and 14s, and feeling fit and wonderful. That's the goal I've set for myself. If I go much lower, I'll look gaunt and wrinkled. Health is my first priority, but I can't deny that appearance is also important!
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am still in the obese range by about 15 lb. I set my current weight as my first goal, lower than I've been for about 90% of my adult life. If I don't lose another pound, I don't think I would need to be embarrassed about my appearance and I don't think I would be classified as unhealthy. However, as I near senior citizen status, I think it will be better for my health to lose some more weight (I'm saying 40 lb.), but I don't think it is crucial or urgent.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Congrats and thats amazing! I am also working down my weight from over 300 pounds. Given that I am pretty petite, 5'2, my "normal" weight for my bmi would be 125-140 pound, a near 200 pound loss for me. I met a few times with a nutritionist when I first started out and I spoke with her about that - a "healthy bmi" vs. a healthy weight. She told me that for me to get to that weight I would need to watch EVERY bite that went into my mouth and constantly workout and exercise. Not that I think that this is impossible but it seems that it would be unbearable to live my life like that. She said that it was more realistic for me to reach an average weight, without struggling, at 160-175 pounds, and that so long as I'm active and over all healthy, there is nothing wrong with that weight (especially seeing how that would be a 100+ weight loss). At this time I'm in the low-mid 200's and I'm wearing a size 18 and I'm and XL in tops, so I figure another 50 pounds or so and I will also be in the size 14 L/M range and I think I will be pretty happy there (given how I started out a year ago at a size 26 and a 3x/2x)!

You should feel proud and feel good about your weight and your accomplishment!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I think you look absolutely phenomenal! Chances are when you started exercising and losing weight, you gained quite a bit of muscle. For that reason, BMI isn't the be all end all- it doesn't take body composition into account. You clearly look great, so if you feel great I see no problem at all! Well done!
  • shaahboogie
    Options
    Congrats on your victory. i was just thinking about this topic today and was surpised to see that i am still in the obese BMI range. im 5'2 and 184. at my heaviest in jan of 2012 i was 238. i am in a size 12 pants and L shirts. i have dropped a shoe size and the only pants that fit are leggings. i look really thin and i work out twice a week. i have losta lot of inches but still have a BMI of over 33. the ideal weight says 140 and hey thast only 40 more pounds. But isnt that what we've all said like it was no big deal..until it came time to get rid of it. honestly i set my peronal goal for 125. but as i drop weight i see that 125 on me will be a disaster. i plan on dropping weight as i can but i will not drive myself insane to meet someone elses calculation of healthy and their ideal weight for me. if you are comfortable with what you see and you feel great, and know you are exercising and eating right than you should be happy. good luck everyone and keep up the great work
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm your same height and maintaining at about 168(ish) which puts me a few points over into the "overweight" category. However, I'm not really worried about it. I'm trying to lose a little more but won't be totally upset if I don't. My goal weight is at the very upper end of the range for our height anyway. I don't think I look healthy much lower than 155 or so. At my current weight I'm a solid size 8/10 in pants and and anywhere from a M to XL in tops. I think I look good at this weight and most importantly, I'm fit and healthy.

And remember, BMI is just a standard generalization and doesn't take into consideration muscle mass etc. Most athletes would be considered overweight or obese by the standard BMI charts. If you're happy where you're at then I wouldn't worry about a number that may or may not be right for your body!!
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm about six pounds away from normal now - and I'm adjusting my caloric intake to focus on strength training and muscle gain rather than weight loss. I've never been much below 150, and I'm 5'5.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm just super curious. I weigh 185ish which puts me in the "overweight" range in BMI. I was wondering if I am the only one who decided to maintain an overweight weight?
    I am 5 feet 7 and I think to be in a healthy range I'd have to get into at least the high 150s.
    Oh and I mean, my highest weight was 312...so I've lost over 100 pounds. I did at first want to lose to be 150 but now I don't think that is going to happen. I am a size 12 in most clothes, some 14s. Size m-L...
    Anyone else happy being "overweight" ? :)

My goal weight is 150, but when I get to 175, I plan to be on a regular weight lifting schedule and ditching the scale. I will focus on body fat at that point.
  • carneson3
    Options
    I HATE BMI! I'm 5'1" weight 169 lbs and still obese. 11 pounds to go just to be considered overweight! I try to ignore it, but damnit sometimes it's depressing as hell. Oh well i'll just keep trucking on and be happy with the progress i've made and will continue to make....which does make it a lot easier to tell my BMI to kiss my slightly smaller *kitten*!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    BMI is garbage. I'm still a 27 and my body fat is definitely under 15%. Don't focus on a hard weight number. Body fat % and measurements/the mirror is a better calculation of your fitness.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    For those of you...including the OP...who were really overweight...like 50 pounds or more for a long time, you might be happy to know that BMI is inaccurate.

My doctor told me my goal weight should be no less than 175. I'm 5'9" and medium framed. This is still overweight by BMI standards, but because for many years long ago, I was over 300 pounds, my bones are far more dense in order to support that weight. This can account for as much as 10-12 extra pounds.

So ask your doctors before you assume you are still overweight. You may not be at all! :)
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am just going to leave it simple..... if you can look in the mirror and be happy with how you look, know that you are putting good things into your body, and staying active, you win! I am not going to be a gluton for punishment and try to make my body do things that is isn't supposed to do. I will never be a size 10, and probably never be out of the overweight catagory, but I will look, and feel good!

BTW I am 5'11' used to be 236 and trying for 175-180
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I agree with many others on here. I'm only 5'4" and my GW is 180. That is what I weighed when I was 18 and thought at the time I was huge. Now 100 years later 180 seems fantastic. I also feel that having been overweight for so long and having lost so many times I'm thinking I'm not going to have great tone. I will continue to shoot for 180 and when I get there we will see what happens. Besides BMI to me doesn't matter as much anymore because you could put 2 people side by side at same weight and one could be all tone and muscular and look great and the other not and which would you prefer? I am trying to think more about health and body fat.

Keep up your great work and let things work themselves out!!!
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I think you should go with what makes you happy. If you are maintaining because you are satisfied with you health and/or what you see in the mirror then cool. But if you're maintaining because you've given up Id advise against it. A few years ago I lost a lot of weight but stopped before reaching my goal weight because it got too hard. I eventually put all the weight back on and now I'm back at it again shooting for the same goal. The difference is that before, I hadn't adjust my mindset for healthy living so once things got hard I quit. Now I have adjusted my lifestyle and bumps in the road will not keep me from moving towards my goals.
  • ShaSimone
    Options
    At 5 feet 5 inches tall I lost over 100 pounds and got all the way down to 164 pounds. According to BMI standards that was overweight for my height! I increased my calories and got slack with logging and gained back 20 pounds, currently around 185 pounds. According to BMI standards that is obese for my height. I was not eating nutritious food or fueling my body to health and working out with barely any energy. Once I started back eating real food instead of junk and exercising excessively I put the pounds back on. Now I want to eat in a way that I can maintain over my lifetime, but watching my calories so I can get back down to those size 10 clothes in my closet. One day at a time.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 150. It puts me still in the "overweight" category. I don't really believe in BMI being a "real" indicator of where every single person should be. It's too much of a blanket generalization.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining at about 10 pounds overweight for the last year. During this time my body fat has gone down. On the BMI scale I'm overweight, but on the body fat scale I'm in the Athlete category.
  • Kagami_Taiga
    Kagami_Taiga Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm classed as "Class I" obesity. I started out as Class III. My goal weight is in the overweight region. So in the future I aim to maintain "overweight".

Depends on your build to be honest.