protein powder to coffee?

Options

Replies

• phatycake
    Options
    I'm the opposite, I add coffee to my protein powder. I just use the instant kind.
  • mommabrand2
    mommabrand2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did this today! I had my 2 scoops of GNC lean, chocolate, to my cup of coffee, 2 tsp of vanilla creamer and ice. Shake and you have a great iced protien shake!!!! It really was good.
  • RiotMTB
    RiotMTB Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes, often...one scoop of vanilla Perfect Whey into a mug of coffee...stir and enjoy.
  • JuliePleasant
    JuliePleasant Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    For a Mocha Frap I use one scoop of chocolate protein powder, 1 cup of non-fat milk, 2 spoonfuls of instant coffee and ice in blender. I also add no sugar flavorings sometimes like salted carmel or hazelnut. It's amazing!
    yummo
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My thought is that the protein would counteract any insulin spike caused by the caffeine.

Hello there Elisa!

I have some information for you.

First of all, I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein and I mix 1.5 scoops into 1c of milk and I shake it in a shaker. Then I use it as coffee creamer and this is enough for ~10-12 cups. Not quite a full pot for me but your taste may vary.

Next, and believe me when I say that this isn't a personal attack on you, and since you love coffee and you love whey you are just a delight in my book ---- whey protein is insulinogenic.

Adding whey to your coffee will raise your insulin, not lower it.

However, now I'm going to follow that up with some good news -- if you're not diabetic, I wouldn't worry one bit about insulin. It gets beaten up and misunderstood as this magical fat storage hormone when the reality is this: if you're maintaining a caloric deficit, you're going to lose fat regardless of any attempts or failures to manage acute insulin levels.

Here's some reading for you, and have a great day you wonderful coffee drinking person you.
    weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I used to make a creamy mocha in the morning with almond milk, pea protein, and instant coffee, but pea protein is kind of hard to find.

I haven't had much luck with hot drinks and whey protein (or whey isolate), but I sometimes make a sort of iced coffee with water, vanilla whey (Body Fortress is cheap, so that's what I use), and instant coffee or I use coffee that's been refrigerated and add a scoop of vanilla protein to that. I shake it up in a Blender Bottle.

If you want it to be a bit creamier, you can add a little almond milk (half water/half almond milk tastes the best to me). Regular milk might work, too, but I haven't tried it.
  • Danardeener
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My thought is that the protein would counteract any insulin spike caused by the caffeine.

Hello there Elisa!

I have some information for you.

First of all, I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein and I mix 1.5 scoops into 1c of milk and I shake it in a shaker. Then I use it as coffee creamer and this is enough for ~10-12 cups. Not quite a full pot for me but your taste may vary.

Next, and believe me when I say that this isn't a personal attack on you, and since you love coffee and you love whey you are just a delight in my book ---- whey protein is insulinogenic.

Adding whey to your coffee will raise your insulin, not lower it.

However, now I'm going to follow that up with some good news -- if you're not diabetic, I wouldn't worry one bit about insulin. It gets beaten up and misunderstood as this magical fat storage hormone when the reality is this: if you're maintaining a caloric deficit, you're going to lose fat regardless of any attempts or failures to manage acute insulin levels.

Here's some reading for you, and have a great day you wonderful coffee drinking person you.
    weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Hey, thanks for the great info.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Yep. twice a day I add 12 oz of coffee to 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk and 1 scoop of muscletech chocolate whey.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I never thought to do this before, but thanks for the idea and all the flavor tips everyone!
  • wheldar
    Options
    The MyoFusion Cinnamon protein powdcer sounds great. I am trying to wean myself off the cappucino coffee creamer I am addicted to, and this sounds like it might be a viable replacement.

Thanks for the tip, I can almost hear the MajicBullit now...
  • MissesForrester
    MissesForrester Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    These are some great ideas. I will be trying.
  • Ellyabell
    Ellyabell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I haven't so far, but the idea sounds great. Will try soon.
  • Panda_Warrior
    Options
    The Herbalife lady at my job keeps on trying to get me to buy this protein shake as a meal replacement....what is the protein for? Sorry I am completely ignorant when it comes to weight-loss or being fit!
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    saving these ideas!
  • dixiewitch
    dixiewitch Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yes i use my vanilla body fortress in my maxwell house 1/2 calf coffee (one scoop of body fortress 26g of protein) i make the coffee as usually but only use 1 teaspoon of sugar. and mix never use packed down protein powder always make sure its fluffed up so that it stirs in really well..and it taste like mmmm french vanilla yummm. even got my mother addicted to it
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Does anyone add protein powder to your coffee? If you do..how is it and what brand do you use. Thanks

I found out yesterday that STARBUCKS has protein powder they can add. One scoop adds 30 cals and 6 grams of protein.

This AM I had a Grande 1 pump Skinny caramel latte with 1 scoop protein. My drink total? 150 cals and 19 grams of protein. Was tasty as usual...
  • livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I do, usually several times a week! I've used a few brands and flavors but generally find it doesn't turn out well with hot coffee, in my experience (it gets really frothy and not yummy coffeeshop frothy...gag me nasty frothy). So, I brew some coffee the night before, stick it in the fridge and blend with protein powder, a bit of milk, and ice in the AM.
  • ladytxn
    ladytxn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Almost every morning... 1 scoop vanilla Body Fortress, a little FF half and half and my coffee. I have a little handheld immersion blender that fits right into the bottom of the glass and whip it up! Sometimes I pour it over ice and sometimes I drink it hot. Both are D-E-L-I-S-H!!! :drinker:
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yes! I was surprised no one has ever mentioned this before. I have always thought it was the perfect pre-workout meal, a bit of caffeine combined with liquid nutrients.

I just dump in a scoop of vanilla whey, a scoop of chocolate whey, add coffee, soy/almond milk if I need extra calories, and ice. Instant caramel-like/ milk-chocolatish /nondescript icy sweetness.
  • JuliePleasant
    JuliePleasant Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Do i brew the coffee first?