Eating Healthy at 1270 Calorie goal

Options
How is it possible to have a daily goal of 1270 and not go over in sugars or fats or sodium? Just eating grapes this morning for my breakfast has put me over in my sugars. Are calories the only thing I should really worry about just as long as I am eating healthy foods? I can't get above 900 daily calories without going over in carbs, fats, or sodium. It's kind of frustrating. Does anyone have advice? I would sure appreciate it.

Replies

• officerdan82
    Options
    Watch the foods you eat and adjust. The more exercise you do the more calories, carbs, and fats MFP will let you have. Sodium and cholesterol stay the same no matter what. I'd suggest a salad a day at least will help you with calories, carbs, and fats. When you do eat high calorie/carb/fat stuff, like nuts for example do so in very limited quantities. It's very doable you just have to tweak what you eat. Portion control is key here.
  • heather_huggins
    heather_huggins Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem with sugars when i first started out, it had me at exactly 1200 cals a day and i was always (and still am) going over my sugars. i have an apple everyday, occasionally a banana and some grapes, i love fresh fruit. one of my pals on here told me that the sugars on here are "added" sugars, meaning stuff like sweets, chocolates, etc. fruit sugars are good sugars. still log them for the calories, but as for the sugars, don't worry too much. your body knows the difference between natural sugars in fruit and bad sugars in sweets. it's broken down differently, fruit sugars are used for energy. hope this helps :)
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    If you want to keep calories so low - many will argue against it... Eat less fruit (grapes are very high in sugar) and more veg - celery sticks, sugar snap peas etc...
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    eat more protein?
  • the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Eating low-fat, high-protein foods should help with this. Examples are egg whites, fish, chicken, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, etc.
  • simpleejenn
    Options
    I do vegetables instead of fruit.
    My caloric intake is set for some 1400 and I generally only take in 600-900!!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Veggies, veggies and more veggies. Not only will they fill you up, they will help keep the other stuff in check.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I am close, I am at 1360 daily. I had to bump it up since 1200 wasn't enough for me.

I pretty much stopped eating sugar-loaded fruits. You can stay within your macros by cutting processed carbs, processed food in general, eating veggies, salad and lean protein will make a huge differnece. Try planning your meals and entering them into MFP ahead of time and see if there is a room for sweet treats (grapes).
  • teenXidle
    teenXidle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. My calorie goal is 1250-1300 and I'm ALWAYS over on sugar. But I think that as long as the sugars are coming from fruit and natural foods, it's way better than simple sugars! I'm just trying to eat as healthy as I can and not worry too much about going over. You're doing great!
  • 0Karina0
    0Karina0 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I am on the 1200 daily goal, 165 carbs, 40 fat, 40 protein, 13 sat. fat, and 2500 mg sodium, i tried doing the 2000 sodium but i always went over, and i just hated the red numbers xD, anyways, I'm a sweet lover 110% so im sure i go over my sugars every single day, i dont really bother recording it because i just dont care if i go over them, i want my sweets! ( º 3 º) But is very hard to be under everything, so i just focus to be under a couple of them, the ones that are most important to me, in my case it would be fat, sodium and sat. fats, i barely go over my carbs so i dont worry, and im always under protein.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    eat the fruit -- don't worry about that sugar just stay away from the processed sugar crap. I'm not giving up my grapes anytime soon and stay right around 1200 calories...almost always over on my sugar (due to yogurt and grapes ) and have lost 30 lbs since July.
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    Sugar is micronutrient of the macronutrient, Carbohydrate. I follow carbs because it's easier than sugar. This is what I eat to stay within 1270 calories every day:

Breakfast
    Toast with all natural honey
    Protein Shake
    Black Coffee

Snack
    Apple
    String Cheese
    Hard Boiled Egg

Lunch
    Tuna packet with relish and mayo

Snack
    1/2 cup greek yogurt with 1/2 scoop of protein
    1/2 cup of cottage cheese

Dinner
    Chicken Breast
    Steamed Veggies
    Salad with balsamic vinegarette & olive oil

Snack
    Sugar free jello
    Whipped cream

I eat about 63 grams of carbs a day.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    As far as sodium that has nothing to do with calories. Everyone is set at the same limit Sodium doesn't have any calories. It is the result of a lot of processed foods. Soups, frozen foods and many fast foods, not just things like Mcdonald's but places like Subway, Panera Bread (Panera is actually REALLY bad their onion soup has almost an entire serving of sodium) but sodium won't exactly make you gain weight but it can lead to high blood pressure and bloating.

As for sugar as long as your carbs are in check you should be okay especially if the source is fructose like in grapes and other fruits

As for controlling sodium intake try and eat home made when you can. Try and limit to amount of dressings and canned sauce you use BC these are often packed with sodium
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    As for sugar as long as your carbs are in check you should be okay especially if the source is fructose like in grapes and other fruits

can you please explain why fructose is better than other sugars? Thanks!
  • amandafirst
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their helpful replies! I don't eat processed foods or anything like that. I've cut out all of that stuff since I started getting serious about losing weight. I will definitely focus more on proteins and worry less about the sugar levels!
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1256509/Eating-fruit-make-fat.html

Oh that's funny! Someone just posted this on another thread! A bit pathetic but good size info!

Now, where is my apple?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd figure out what I need to do to burn more calories. I couldn't deal with eating like a bird. having said that, there is nothing inherently unhealthy about fruit or any other sugar. Eat a balanced diet and feel good about it.
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't want to live in a world where fruit is considered not "eating healthy". EAT the grapes!
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I don't want to live in a world where fruit is considered not "eating healthy". EAT the grapes!

^^^ This