Weight Train, loose weight - - but not use protein Powder?

Options
Ok, so I've been using MFP for about 6 months now, and have been creeping - - I mean checking out - - people's food diaries for ideas of tweaks that I can make in my own nutrition plan. I've set my goals to be 40/30/30 based on discussions with an athletic nutritionalist, but it always seems that I'm sort on the protein category.

When I look at those food diaries, it seems that most people who are serious about weight training and loosing weight use multiple meals with Protein powders to supplement their protein intake. My problem is that the protein powders make me want to seriously YAK! It's not the taste - - it's the texture, and the idea of eating "not real" food just doesn't sit right with me (since this is my new lifestyle).

Anyone else have suggestions about how to up your protein intake without powders and not killing your calorie intake at the same time? I love eggs and greek yogurt, but there have to be other ways to get more with less calories . . .

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of cottage cheese myself.
    Canned salmon. MMMMMMMMMM. Pure protein there.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Chicken, lots of chicken and turkey and fish......
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    The average American gets more that enough protein. You don't need to worry about it :)
  • ENCORRALES21
    ENCORRALES21 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    egg whites
  • wellbert
    Options
    The average American gets more that enough protein. You don't need to worry about it :)

To maintain a sedentary lifestyle, yes. That's true.
  • Brandi1168
    Brandi1168 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I only supplement with protein powder a couple times a week. I don't like eggs, so my protein comes from chicken, tuna, cottage cheese and smaller amounts of beef, nuts, etc.
  • paprikas
    paprikas Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I actually don't understand why anyone would supplement multiple meals per day with protein powder. its not real food, its not sustainable, and I worry that as soon as they start eating normally again, they will regain their weight.
    having said that, I am weight training now, eating a lot of fish, chicken and other sources of protein, but my weight loss has stalled...
  • emzack
    emzack Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I agree with this. No need to go overboard on the protein. And I agree with OP that eating real food is the priority. And to add my own two cents... I don't like drinking my calories (unless it has alcohol in it!) ;)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

And for people who work out regularly, including most athletes. Of course, the companies who sell supplements don't want you to know that.

Of course, if you have a wasting disease or are training for Mr. Universe, that might be another story. But even those are considered on a case by case basis.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Chicken and lean meats are good, and dairy, but I guess they are not all that calorie forgiving......with the protein powder/shakes were you mixing it with water in a shaker?, cause IMO that's barf-o-rama, but with milk and fruit whizzed up to make a proper smooth creamy smoothie, I love it...also all protein powders are not created equal, some are just undrinkable.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I like protein bars because they taste as good as candy but pack 10-20g of protein. I have some vanilla whey powder, but I don't use it often.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    how is protein powder not real food? Because it is in powder form?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

And for people who work out regularly, including most athletes. Of course, the companies who sell supplements don't want you to know that.

Of course, if you have a wasting disease or are training for Mr. Universe, that might be another story. But even those are considered on a case by case basis.

I agree, OP - you're probably getting enough. :)
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    When I look at those food diaries, it seems that most people who are serious about weight training and loosing weight use multiple meals with Protein powders to supplement their protein intake. My problem is that the protein powders make me want to seriously YAK! It's not the taste - - it's the texture, and the idea of eating "not real" food just doesn't sit right with me (since this is my new lifestyle).

Perhaps a lot of these people are trying to build muscle mass? The standard guideline for building muscle is to get one gram of protein for every pound of "lean body mass". What that means in practical terms: For someone who weighs 200 lbs and has 20% body fat AND is trying to "get big" (i.e. more muscular, not obese), that person is supposed to be getting 160 grams of protein a day.

Some of these folks are not concerned about losing weight at the same time. Generally they aren't focused on weight per se but on leanness... reducing body fat percentage. That means looking for a LOT OF PROTEIN and VERY LOW CALORIES.

So, where do you turn for this? Lean meats, like chicken breast or turkey. Greek protein, as you mentioned. But in the end it's very hard to reach those targets with food alone. That's why you see a lot of people SUPPLEMENTING their diet with protein shakes, powders, bars, etc.

Are you shooting for those goals? If not, don't be concerned about getting tons of protein. Are you aiming for toned while doing a lot of strength training? You may try for 0.75 grams of protein per lb of lean body mass, and in that case you may find supplements like protein powders useful.

It takes some experimenting to find one you like and doesn't clump up, has good flavor, etc. My go-to protein powder is actually the cheap whey isolate sold at Walmart. The isolate is dustier than the regular stuff -- it dissolves a bit better. And I make it more palatable by mixing it up with some almond with and lite cool whip the night before I drink it... it has time to un-clump and the little extras make it very smooth & easy to drink.
  • wellbert
    Options
    Protein powder is good because it's cheap and portable. It costs something like 38 cents to a buck for 40-50g of protein. 50g of protein from a good quality ribeye steak approaches $15-18. 50g from even cottage cheese is at least $2-3.

Protein powder is not a meal replacement. It's just a supplement.

And it's not 'fake" food. It's whey isolate. Milk protein.

I try and eat 15c/50f/35p ...works well for my goals.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How much are you getting now and do you exercise (endurance or strength training?)
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I eat 40/30/30 too, but don't have a problem getting all my protein in. For breakfast every day I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard protein powder in Extreme Milk Chocolate. I mix it with 1% milk for 230 cals, 16g carbs, 5g fat, and 32g protein. It's delicious! Just like drinking chocolate milk. Try getting the single serving size options at the store until you find one you like.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    The key term is 'supplement' not 'substitute'.

Remember that not everyone serious about weight training is losing weight. Some of us don't replace calories with protein shakes, we add the protein shake to an already well balanced diet. If restricting calories, the shakes can be restricted too.

Finally, whey protein is used post workout for the specific property it has of being swiftly taken up by the body, whereas most whole foods have gradual release properties, similar to casein protein powder - that's why you'll rarely see casein shakes in folks diets, most people just eat tuna/chicken/cottage cheese etc for the same effect.

Jay
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    To answer your question though. If you don't like the texture of protein shakes, you can cook with it into oat bars or mix it into greek yoghurt.

I sometimes make a big batch of greek yoghurt, honey, peanut butter, chopped nuts and protein powder and eat it through the week - it's delish :)

Jay
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i use dynmatize elite protein whey and casein.. for me i put it in a blender with ice and water and add frozen mixed berries. or sometimes just add water and mix real quick and just slam it down . i get tired of cooking all the time. i spend a night in the week and i cook 3lbs or more of boneless skinless chicken breast..sometimes turkey , turkey burgers, and set myself up to save time. the shakes are just easier and i like the way i make mine with the berries.

sometimes i add a serving of protein powder mixed with cold water and use it as a milk to cereal

another one is myoplex lite ... and i also eat the myoplex low carb or myoplex lite bars because its good to use on the fly..im a heavy weight lifter and i like the extra protein because im actually trying to build muscle as opposed to just tone