I am obsese...at least that is what the chart is telling me?

Options

Replies

• EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    That scale always says it doesn't account for body type - so why read it as though it applies to you?

Well then who's body type is it count for? is what I wanna know...

It's just a guideline, that's all. It doesn't take athletes into account because it's just a general, basic measurement of weight vs. height. It's just a ratio. It's really only good for people who don't have much muscle tone, but even then it doesn't always take frame into account. The highest "acceptable" weight for my (large) frame is a few pounds into the "overweight" category on the BMI chart.

That's why many athletes ignore the BMI categories. Your doctor will too, since it's obvious you have a lot of muscle tone.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Think about it. BMI uses too numbers to sum up your fitness: height and weight. That's it. It's a terribly incomplete method and can NOT be trusted.

No, no, no. BMI does not measure fitness.
  • oker673
    oker673 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I know I don't show my weight at all. I am using the scale as motivation and my BMI as a guideline for my goal.
    I do plan on using my body fat percentage to figure out whether to stop at my goal or continue.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have a problem with BMI if it wasn't an overused metric of health and life insurance companies.
  • RobKarmic
    RobKarmic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hmm I personally don't believe people are meant to be focusing on being a muscular behemoth being anywhere from 10lb above or below your heights dictated weight is where people are meant to be cardio is the full teller of who is more fit if you ask me
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hmm I personally don't believe people are meant to be focusing on being a muscular behemoth being anywhere from 10lb above or below your heights dictated weight is where people are meant to be cardio is the full teller of who is more fit if you ask me

db5aa5ee.png
  • Long_and_Lean
    Long_and_Lean Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Yes, because we're all meant to look alike and fit in a box, right? /sarcasm.

Oh, also overweight according to my BMI. Eff that noise. Waist to height ratio, while not perfect, is more indicative. Should be less than half. Mine's .45, I think I'm good.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You have got to be kidding me. I am considered overweight by the BMI but I have a BF% of approx. 20%. Are you saying that I am an muscular behemoth. And people have their own goals - it they want a lot of muscle mass (which is actually beneficial health wise) what on earth is wrong with that?
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options

You have got to be kidding me. I am considered overweight by the BMI but I have a BF% of approx. 20%. Are you saying that I am an muscular behemoth. And people have their own goals - it they want a lot of muscle mass (which is actually beneficial health wise) what on earth is wrong with that?

:heart: She always says the things I am thinking ;)
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    that obese chart is such bull****..if that was the case every single bodybuilder would be obese.

the best thing is to just look at body fat % and that is all
  • INFJ
    INFJ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I sometimes need the reminder.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Ur an amazing lady cause u know where and what to do now :flowerforyou:

I felt the same with my stupid *kitten* scale till the battery died...6 weeks ago haha! Haven't replaced it yet...lol

Going by mirrors and appearance now ;-)
  • allisonistrying
    Options
    I believe the BMI was developed as a population measure, not an individual one. Plus, people have been getting bigger (and taller) with better nutrition and healthcare.
  • heathercalma
    Options
    Your beautiful.

I nearly fell over when I saw I was 7 lbs away from being considered obese. I was 137 and just had a baby. Give me a break.

Its all about how you feel. I don't worry about the scale anymore. If my pants have room and my muffin tops stay at the bakers, Im a happy mamma.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I believe the BMI was developed as a population measure, not an individual one. Plus, people have been getting bigger (and taller) with better nutrition and healthcare.

^This.

OP you look great and you know it. I think of the BMI kind of like women's clothing sizes. It works pretty well if you are closer to the average that they built their pattern off, but then will get way worse the more tall/short/muscular you are.

On the other hand, I was obese according to BMI before I started losing. And I definitely felt like it. Now I'm "just overweight". I still feel overweight. But then I'm average height for a woman. My sister was morbidly obese at 5'2" and 260 lbs. She told me she couldn't even believe she was obese. "Overweight yes, not obese though" I remember her telling me. I'm sure most strangers on the street would have picked her out as being obese not just overweight. So maybe for some people it's a good wake up call and a way for their doctor to have a conversation.

OP your doctor probably knows you are healthy and that's all that matters. BMI (and the scale) are just numbers. But like someone else posted above, I think BF%, cholesterol, blood pressure, resting heart rate etc are much more important numbers.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Those BMI charts are antiquated! I'm considered morbidly obese! I know I can drop some more pounds but .....
  • bettylippy
    Options
    Hello
    I don't think the scale rules you as much as it keeps your weight in check.
  • learpilot74
    Options
    I definately would not say your obese. Your like me to be honest. Maybe we have a little extra weight but by no means obese! Those BMI charts are so outdated, and way to vague to reliable for use by a mass amount of people. I say be happy with yourself. If you want to lose a few pounds, then work for it. If you don't your fine too. That obese rating is absolutely stupid lol!
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My husband is 14% BF and according to the BMI he is overweight. His BMI is 26.5.
  • Nalazirk
    Options
    Forget that BMI chart. According to that thing, almost every single NFL linebacker is "obese"... It's complete bull****. Stick with tape measuring your waistline.
    And btw, you look GREAT! :)