Study: Brain injury from high-fat foods may be why diets fai

Options
2»

Replies

• LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    What's the effect on Alzheimer’s in relation to a ketogenic diet, which is by defaualt a high fat diet? I kinda agree with your assessment that obesity may be the bigger cataylist for systemic inflammation and compromised immune systems causing an increase in cytokines.

I was thinking about whether there might be some correlation between the 2 just the other day (although it was more of an inside my head and less of a researched thought process). It would make sense to me that they might be linked - given the relationship between carbohydrates and optimal brain function.

I don't really know if it is just because ketogenic diets haven't been around for very long but I speak to 10 different elderly people every single day about what they eat and all of them eat a 'high' carbohydrate or a standard diet. Even the ones with diabetes or other medical conditions. I guess when I meet a 90-105 year old that eats a ketogenic diet then maybe I will be more open to it's long term safety.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    What's the effect on Alzheimer’s in relation to a ketogenic diet, which is by defaualt a high fat diet? I kinda agree with your assessment that obesity may be the bigger cataylist for systemic inflammation and compromised immune systems causing an increase in cytokines.

I was thinking about whether there might be some correlation between the 2 just the other day (although it was more of an inside my head and less of a researched thought process). It would make sense to me that they might be linked - given the relationship between carbohydrates and optimal brain function.

I don't really know if it is just because ketogenic diets haven't been around for very long but I speak to 10 different elderly people every single day about what they eat and all of them eat a 'high' carbohydrate or a standard diet. Even the ones with diabetes or other medical conditions. I guess when I meet a 90-105 year old that eats a ketogenic diet then maybe I will be more open to it's long term safety.
    From what I understand the ketogenic shows a positive effect on Alzheimer’s as it does on other autoimmune diseases and why I asked someone who specializes in that field....curiosity on my part.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    What's the effect on Alzheimer’s in relation to a ketogenic diet, which is by defaualt a high fat diet? Also i remember some studies that showed a decrease in inflammation with a ketogenic diet as well. I kinda agree with your assessment that obesity may be the bigger cataylist for systemic inflammation and compromised immune systems causing an increase in cytokines.

What's the effect of a ketogenic diet on Alzheimer's? Well... the waters are murky :D I don't really know for sure yet. There are some studies that show an improvement in some patients, but there are so many confounding variable that it's hard to know if it's ketosis that's causing the benefits.

However... that is one of the reasons I tend to place greater blame on obesity than on the macro-nutrients in the diet.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    bumping to read when I go back to work:happy:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I don't have the time to research it right now, but does it state what is classified as a high fat diet by the study, and what types of fat? Is it high overall fat, or just saturated? Or trans fats?
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Thanks for posting but I have done a study on my own.

Why I'm fat = I like Doritos and donuts and I don't move as much as I should.
    Why I'm losing it = because I almost died twice, there won't be a third time to cheat death.
    How I'm losing it = NOT eating Doritos and donuts and moving more.

That's all the research I need.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    hmmm....fat is 45% of my diet. :ohwell:

I've never been overweight so I hope the inflammation is caused by obesity and not dietary fat.
    About the macros issue- I personally think it's OBESITY that is the problem, not the macro being consumed in large quantities. But that is my personal opinion.
    I'll stick with Rebekah's opinion. :wink:
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I thought inflammation was from too many simple carbs?
  • LabRat529
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22201683

Here's the actual article for those who want it... It's available to everyone. The results are very interesting and the newspaper article does not present the info well.
  • LabRat529
    Options
    P.S. for those saying this study has no relevance because it was done in rats, there is a section correlating the results in humans- they used MRI to look for gliosis (inflammation of a class of non-neuronal brain cells). It's just correlative... but combined with the other results, it's compelling. It doesn't really change my opinion about macros... yet... but it's interesting none-the-less.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,743 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22201683

Here's the actual article for those who want it... It's available to everyone. The results are very interesting and the newspaper article does not present the info well.
    Thanks for posting this.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Sorry but I think we dont need any more excuses in being overweight. I personally am owning up to it and making the right choices.

Obesity is an issue that is effecting our entire society. These studies are incredibly important in finding out what factors influence obesity. I'm not saying it doesn't come down to personal responsibility for the most part, but if we can find out what the factors are, we can help treat those who struggle.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    Thanks for posting but I have done a study on my own.

Why I'm fat = I like Doritos and donuts and I don't move as much as I should.
    Why I'm losing it = because I almost died twice, there won't be a third time to cheat death.
    How I'm losing it = NOT eating Doritos and donuts and moving more.

That's all the research I need.
    Honorable degree given
  • FarmFoodDiet
    FarmFoodDiet Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The problem with a lot of these studies purportedly showing a negative impact of a "high-fat" diet in animals is this: the "high fat" chow that these animals are given actually contains ridiculously high levels of sugar. The problem with interpreting these studies is that the diet's impact could be due to the sugar- not the fat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The problem with a lot of these studies purportedly showing a negative impact of a "high-fat" diet in animals is this: the "high fat" chow that these animals are given actually contains ridiculously high levels of sugar. The problem with interpreting these studies is that the diet's impact could be due to the sugar- not the fat.

epic bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

epic bump

And epic way to blame sugar for the results of the study with no basis.