Hungry within an hour of dinner

Options
I am not overweight, never have been, just trying to get back to the 126 I am comfortable at, since I have had a bad month and gained about 7 Ibs.

I have found for the longest time, that when I have my usual meal of salmon or eggs or cottage cheese, with a mixture of steamed vegetables, I am always hungry within an hour. Even if I have 200g of salmon, it does not help, in spite of all the protein,

I have noticed the only times I have felt full after a meal have been when eating out, and having probably what are extortionately high calorie things such as tapas or seafood risotto, or baked potato followed by dessert.

Is it because I am not getting enough fat in my meal that I am experiencing this issue?
Carbs makes no difference, tried adding in just a complex carb alone, only thing that seems to fill me is something that has a combination of protein, fat and carbs, which would make losing weight difficult I imagine.

I eat seafood, but not meat. I don't ever put butter on my veggies and my fish is always poached or boiled, unless I have smoked salmon.

Any ideas for meals that might actually keep me full longer?

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I only recently learned that fibre makes a massive difference in hunger. I'm still tooling around with it (have had different issues for different reasons), but I definitely notice I'm more sated with exactly what you say, protein + fat + carbs [fibre].

How are you with quinoa, bulgur, couscous, beans?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I only recently learned that fibre makes a massive difference in hunger. I'm still tooling around with it (have had different issues for different reasons), but I definitely notice I'm more sated with exactly what you say, protein + fat + carbs [fibre].

How are you with quinoa, bulgur, couscous, beans?

Sadly, beans seem to cause me terrible gut issues these days - used to be able to eat them just fine, though I sometimes have some with my salmon. I have quinoa sometimes, not had couscous in a while, never had bulgar. I have had meals with quinoa, beans and veggies, no fat, and again, was hungry right after. So frustrating.
  • I had this problem till I started drinking more water. I also found reducing carbs made me irritable and tired and therefore more likely to eat. If I have my main meal at 8pm or later (contrary to the habit of a lifetime!), I am less likely to go and eat more.

Good luck!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Regarding the funny tummy, if you did want to try beans again, some people say Beano helps... others say soaking them in water for 12 hours, and rinsing several times before boiling makes a difference. (Too much work for me, though!)

As you've intimated, fats might make the difference. If the notion is difficult to accept, remember that, e.g., olive oil is nourishing. When you use it, consciously connect it with the lovely things it does for hair, skin, nails, because of the Vitamin E & antioxidants its got.

One meal tweak idea: your salmon baked in a tin foil pocket, with a splash of EVOO, some lemon, and dill. Side of couscous (so easy to make, just 5 mins) with a bit of garlic & parsley, and a teeny tiny bit more oil.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Having a mix of carbs, protein and fat seems to work for me - i had a salad with chicken breast, noodles, salad veg and fat free dressing a few weeks ago and was ravenously hungry - then realised I hadn't added any fat (I forgot the avocado!) and it just didn't make me feel full.
    I also find that leaving out the carbs doesn't work for me either. I would have thought you'd be getting enough fat in the salmon - but maybe the balance of protein/carbs/fat just wasn't right for you.

So, my suggestion is to play around with the composition of your meals and pay attention to which ones really stick with you and which ones don't. I also find that having a more substantial breakfast sets me up well for the day - if I have a very small breakfast I'm hungry all day, even if I eat a good lunch. Everyone is different with these kinds of things, it takes a bit of playing around to work out what is right for your body.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    ...only thing that seems to fill me is something that has a combination of protein, fat and carbs, which would make losing weight difficult I imagine.

Why would this make losing weight more difficult? I always thought that along with some veg was a balanced meal.
    We get all of our nutrition through those 3 Macros. You don't need a lot of fat but you do need some. Many vitamins are fat soluable. so even if you are eating your vitamins, you woon't absorb them with out a bit of fat.

I do try to keep my protein lean, my fat healthy (Mono and/or Poly Unsaturated Fats) and my carbs complex.

Also watch your sugar intake, BOTH SUGAR AND ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS IN CREASE YOUR APPETITE
    Try weaning yourself of the sweets a bit.
  • sunraew
    sunraew Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try that... and add in some more fiber.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, think I need to experiment with what I eat in the daytime, as I tend to just grab some nuts or an egg and bits and pieces in the day rather than having a proper lunch, so dinner is essentially my only real meal. I sort of worry about carbs holding onto more water as I have noticed that if I have too many when staying away from home and eating meals out, my body swells up somewhat. I guess it is a matter of finding a balance.
  • Innerautumn
    Innerautumn Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Drink water. Brush your teeth. That helps me. I once heard Bob Green (Oprah's guy) say that sometimes we SHOULD feel uncomfortable when we are losing weight. It is a normal body function and we will not starve to death. I remember those words and tough it out. I used to tell myself that I needed ice cream at bed time because it made me feel better. When I did not have it, I often felt my tummy grumble when I was laying in bed. Sometimes I would get up to get some. Now, I get up and brush my teeth again! I think that is just something we are telling ourselves. It is a habit and it's not necessary. I suggest you tough it out!
  • Carbcounteronly
    Options
    I often get the same feeling, but I have HUGE dinners! Usually a chicken breast, roast vegetables (butternut, broccoli, sometimes a potato if it's been a good day) and am still hungry within an hour or two of eating it.. HMM!
  • starcollapsing
    starcollapsing Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Adding more fat should really help to keep you full? Cook your salmon or vegetables in oil. Actually, salmon sauteed in coconut oil is possibly the most delicious thing EVER ;)
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've always heard Fiber helps you to feel more full. How about a bowl of Fiber One cereal as an after dinner snack?
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Happened to me last night, I just ate 2 servings.

I tend to eat when im hungry, so if i eat and i still am, somethings wrong. lol
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    my meals have always been protein focussed but I used to still feel hungry after until I started cooking with fats, I use olive or coconut oil in all my dinners now and its made a big difference :smile:
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    my meals have always been protein focussed but I used to still feel hungry after until I started cooking with fats, I use olive or coconut oil in all my dinners now and its made a big difference :smile:

yes this!! I started cooking with coconut oil, instead of olive or canola, and no more hunger , feel full and for much longer, sometimes I can't finish my plate!!! I too also focus alot on protein with lots of veggies.