How late do you eat?

Options
How late do you eat? Do you have a set time that you "close" the kitchen? If you get hungry really late (like now), do you eat or drink some water and hold out for morning?

Am hungry, but have gone way over my calories today..

Replies

• mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I eat something. I plan out my day for snacks after dinner so that I'm not overeating when I eat later at night.

Today it sounds like something went wrong for you. Have a snack and then don't do that same thing tomorrow.
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    I eat if I have the calories, no matter what time of day or night.
    When I am out of calories in the evening and feel hungry I drink 1-2 cups of coffee and bust out a workout. That way I earn the snack calories. I do this pretty frequently. Not sure if it's the greatest idea though :P
  • seed_of_wonder
    seed_of_wonder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    i stop around 6-7 pm
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    My kitchen is always open...Usually my last meal is somewhere between 8 and 10. I try to have plenty of healthy snacks...and great meals.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I like to eat at night so i have shifted my calories to later in the day...you may want to try it.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    normally at 8-830 pm. There are days that I feel hungry around midnight, so i grab as snack at that time, but thats normally once or twice a month.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I don't starve myself. If im hungry, i eat. So if its late at night, like after i have already logged my calories ( i try and leave some left overs) i eat something healthy like fat free greek yogurt, some turkey breast, or some fresh fruit or hand full of nuts.

I usually stop eating between 7-8pm. I try and have a glass of water before i choose to eat, just incase im confusing my hungry with thirst.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have eaten as late as 11pm and have seen no negative effect on my weight loss because of it. I usually aim for a calorie limit somewhat below my goal so that I always have room for a little something if I need it later in the evening.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I eat right before bed sometimes. It helps me go to sleep when I get the itis.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I plan my food so I have most of it late in the evening. I am not hungry in the morning, so except for coffee, I do not have anything until past noon usually. The way I have more calories saved up for the evening and I am actually less hungry throughout the day if I do not eat early. I usually eat about an hour before I go to bed and have ice-cream in bed about 10 minutes before I go to sleep.

The is no real benefit from a weigh loss perspective what time you eat, assuming calories remain constant. It's a personal preference as to which one allows you to adhere to your calorie goals.
  • tarakizer
    Options
    Today it sounds like something went wrong for you. Have a snack and then don't do that same thing tomorrow.

Yes, THIS. Figure out what went wrong today. If you like to have a snack at night, make sure you make the right choices during the day so that you have calories left for that snack. I eat all day long starting after my morning workout to about an hour before I go to bed. I select the right items throughout the day so that I can eat all day long.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm eating right now. I got too lazy to cook dinner, so I made some maple & brown sugar instant oatmeal, and mixed in some pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice. So yummy.

Basically, I eat when I'm hungry.
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Don't ask me the scientific reasoning on whether you should stop eating in the evening or not... But I find if I last eat about 6 or 7pm, and go to bed about 11am or often midnight, I'll become quite hungry and won't be able to sleep! I have to be satisfied, not necessarily really full, to doze off!
  • tarakizer
    Options
    The is no real benefit from a weigh loss perspective what time you eat, assuming calories remain constant. It's a personal preference as to which one allows you to adhere to your calorie goals.

Actually there is a benefit from a weight loss perspective. Some of us have to eat 5+ meals per day to keep the metabolism at a level that allows weight loss. If you don't need to eat until after noon, then that's fine with me, but that is not recommended.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It only depends if I've gone over my calories or not. I work nights, so I tend to be up all hours of the day and night. No time is off limit for me. If it's late for you, and you're over your cals, just go to bed.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I usually don't have dinner until 9:30 pm. I exercise at night after work and don't eat until after.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I stopped at 8pm where possible and definitely not after 9pm if unable to eat for 8pm. Personal preference though
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I'm a "Nyte-Ow-uhl", mortal enemy of the 'morning people' and large breakfasts! </booming voice> :laugh:

My breakfast time is low quantity/calories (e.g. OJ + 1-2 bananas) to allow for larger cal consumption towards the later hours. Additionally, my workouts are exclusively in the evening/night time-frame, so I need more calories then anyway. If I'm hungry and have cals left, or if I'm low on an important macro, I'll eat even if it's near bedtime. Of course, I know what things will foul me up overnight, so nothing heavy or unruly.

This is what I do; YMMV. You have to figure out what works best for you.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Well last night I ate at 3am, I just prefer eating later on in the day or late at night so I make sure I get my calories in then. Meal timing is irrelevant to weight control.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I eat till I go to bed. I sometimes wake up to have a snack (because of night time hypoglycemia). I know I am not a good role model but I am pretty lean so I can tell you it doesnt matter what time you eat.