Random - Have you ever lived in or visited Australia??

Options

Replies

• RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    People always worry about us having dangerous creatures here... snakes, spiders, crocodiles, sharks, jellyfish, dingoes etc but I think they are a lot better than bears, lions, tigers etc.

Besides... you only have to able to outrun or outswim one other person and you're ok. The weakest in the herd get taken first. It's just nature :drinker:

Hahah! I agree about all the dangerous creatures, I find the thought of bears just wandering through your backyard utterly horrifying. I remember explaining to my brand new NYC housemates though that I was still not out of the habit of stripping my bed down before I got into every night (to check for white-tailed spiders - we lived in the country and those flat little b*****ds were everywhere....), and they all went pale and swore they were NEVER going to visit me. Apparently it's what you get used to! Moose are kind of freaky to me too - so gigantic.
  • Think of it this way - do you want to shovel snow or sweep sand?

I am born and raised in Melbourne but actually spent a year living in Kitchener/Waterloo - so about an hour from Toronto. This was about 10-11 years ago.

I found that where we were in Canada was expensive for rent and food and there wasn't the greatest public transport - bus only.
    I also found wages to be very low compared to the cost of living.
    And it was cold! Started snowing the weekend of Thanksgiving and didn't stop until mid - late April - it was a very cold year. Melbourne weather is nothing compared to a Canadian winter - you won't even find it cold!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Born here, raised here...... wonderful country IF you can secure a job.

IF
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Think of it this way - do you want to shovel snow or sweep sand?

Melbourne weather is nothing compared to a Canadian winter - you won't even find it cold!

I live right by the beach, like right opposite & I don't sweep sand at all from anywhere.
    As for Melbourne cold? May not snow (has once or twice) but damn it's cold. I've lived here all my life (37 years) and I still can't get used to the cold.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Yup born and raised in Sydney :)
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I visited for 3 weeks when I was 13. It was lovely!
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    nope, never have never will...
    1. too far of all the fun places I like
    2. with all those huge poisonous spiders?? HELL no :noway:
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options

Haha there are spiders all around the world. I haven't seen any of those huge ones anyway, they're in the countryside. It isn't that bad, really :P
  • indigo_rose
    Options
    Live in Sydney :) Love it, would move to Melbourne in a heartbeat tho.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

What huge poisonous spiders? I'm yet to find one, apart from a time redback & well... dangerous spiders are worldwide.

As for 2 far off all the fun places..... well yeah... Melbourne is a big distance from Movie World, but then New York is a big distance off Disneyland...... that's kinda a bad way to put it then.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Live in Sydney :) Love it, would move to Melbourne in a heartbeat tho.

Woo hooo..... Melbourne is great & cheaper to live here than Sydney :) IF you can get a house :O
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Im from UK originally (wales) emmigrated to Australia in 2004, lived in Brisane for 2 years, now in the tropics Cairns North Queensland, this place is heaven, it really is (except for wet season) I love it here, the weather is beautiful, lifestyle great, barrier reef on my door step and the rain forest is my garden, I love it here xx as I write its 34 c the kids are in the pool, and its another perfect day in paradise xxx no regrets here :)))))
  • susehocking
    susehocking Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from South Africa, but emmigrated to the Gold Coast Queensland when I was 17 in Dec of 1998 with my family. I have an Aussie hubby and my kids are aussie born too...I have been naturalised for years and I would never dream of living anywhere else!
  • susehocking
    susehocking Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh, and the spiders thing...sure, we have em, but I haven't had any poisonous ones in my house in years...only big fat huntsmen spiders. But I've leanred how to deal with them.

If you want to live in a place where NOTHING but people and earthquakes can kill you, then move to New Zealand LOL
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

Hehehe... it's not the HUGE spiders you need to worry about - they are scary looking but not poisonous. It's the small ones you don't see that will cause you more damage - under the toilet seat, in your boots, under pot plants, in your mailbox.
    But hey, come on over!
  • DoingItMyOwnWay
    Options
    Oh, and the spiders thing...sure, we have em, but I haven't had any poisonous ones in my house in years...only big fat huntsmen spiders. But I've leanred how to deal with them.

How do you deal with them?
  • DoingItMyOwnWay
    Options
    I'm in Melbourne, on the edge of the city. Yes, the spiders can be a bit big but they tend to stay outside for the most part. I've had a couple of huntsman inside. I seriously dislike spiders but find I can cope with what's here fine.
  • cma17
    cma17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    yes! i went there when i was 13 but i was afraid i was gonna die because of all the poisonous animals lol! i got over that and had a great time:D

I still feel that way!
    I live in NZ so Aus is the obvious holiday destination I have been to Melbourne(don't remember it) Perth(too hot) and Sydney (love it)
  • cma17
    cma17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

If you want to live in a place where NOTHING but people and earthquakes can kill you, then move to New Zealand LOL

I know we are good like that!!!.... don't forget volcanoes even if it has been a fair few years)
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    People always worry about us having dangerous creatures here... snakes, spiders, crocodiles, sharks, jellyfish, dingoes etc but I think they are a lot better than bears, lions, tigers etc.

Besides... you only have to able to outrun or outswim one other person and you're ok. The weakest in the herd get taken first. It's just nature :drinker:

hahahaha exactly!!

In all honesty though, if you live in an area with dangerous creatures you will get plenty of education about them from the relevant authorities if they are a threat in the TV, radio and newspaper etc, we have crocs in the river near our home but I've never seen one in the wild, we also have turtles, and we even get wallabies in our street. It's pretty great living here.