What type of food do you eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Lastly, Have a great day you lovely person. I'm not attacking you and I hope we can all hold hands as a happy forum family.

I sense sarcasm.....
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You can take a look at my diary. I eat a lot of food from scratch and mix in fruit and veggies when I can.

It's important to hit your nutrient goals along with your calorie goal and learn to balance your intake.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is almost always two eggs and half a banana. Occasionally I will eat some oatmeal or pancakes with strawberries and a touch of syrup.

Lunch is almost always either soup or a sandwich (meat, cheese, mayo on whole wheat) with yogurt, fruit, and honey.

Dinner is usually a protein (chicken, beef, or fish/shrimp), starch (potatoes, corn) and/or veggie (green beans, peas, broccoli) with butter.

Snack is whatever. My go to snacks are fruit, yogurt, jerky, nut butter, and stereotypical junk foods (chips, goldfish, popcorn).

I keep my calories below 1500, keep carbs below 100g, and fat around 40-50% of my diet.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I eat food that I like hence why my diet is easy to adhere to
    ohyou.jpg
  • darleyschroeder
    Options
    These are things I eat on regular basis
    -chicken breast
    -eggs
    -peanut butter
    -salad mix
    -turkey bacon
    -100% whole wheat bread
    -tomatoes
    -assorted frozen veggies
    -homemade chili
    -ground turkey
    -extra lean beef

these are just the things i really enjoy eating and know i can make many healthy meals out of.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I eat a variety of foods. I only eat food that I enjoy eating, and I don't eliminate foods, although I may reduce frequency or quantity--but nothing is off limits.

If you can create a calorie deficit and meet nutrient needs then the individual food items are less important. Diet as a whole matters a lot.

Lastly, Have a great day you lovely person. I'm not attacking you and I hope we can all hold hands as a happy forum family.
    My diet is pretty much the same as the pleasant, non-attacking gentleman above. I eat the same things I've always eaten, albeit much more moderately for some. Breakfast is almost always eggs or egg whites, cheese and a slice of whole grain bread. Lunch varies considerably and dinner is usually some form of meat with some form of vegetable. Snacks are normally things like greek yogurt, cottage cheese, peanut butter on celery or Wasa crackers, etc. - but I still manage to indulge in chocolate, ice cream, pizza, beer, nachos, fast food, etc. on an occasional basis while still hitting my macros and calorie allotment.
  • queensturg
    Options
    I mix it up a lot so that I'm not always eating the exact same thing every day and getting bored with foods, but some things I stick to, like having granola for breakfast on the mornings I go to work (I find it's not only healthy, but keeps me full until my lunch break) and making sandwiches in pitas instead of bread when I take my lunch with me to work (I fill it with things like lettuce and tomato, hummus, sometimes some avocado, a slice or two of lunchmeat, but again I try to mix it up a bit so it doesn't get boring) and for dinner I always have some sort of meat or fish, a pasta or potato, and veggies or salad. I'm also a believe of "everything in moderation" so if I'm craving something that's not the healthiest thing to eat, then I have just a little of it so that I don't feel deprived. Overall though I tend to crave healthy snacks lately, which I've found is a huge difference since I've changed my eating habits. My diary isn't public, but you're welcome to send me a friend request (my diary can be seen by all my friends)
  • Sharkington
    Options
    I eat stuff like granola, peanut butter (usually off a spoon, haha), yogurt, oatmeal, eggs, vegetables/fruit (cucumbers, squash, tomatoes, onion, avocados, bananas, grapefruit, apples, nectarines), turkey, chicken, sweet potatoes/yams. :)

I find that these types of things keep me full throughout the day - whether I am eating a large meal, or having a small snack. I don't keep my apartment without bananas especially - they are great for energy and taste so good. I am surprised I have not gotten tired of eating them.
  • LethalBeauty
    Options
    These are the foods i eat most often:
    -All bran/Corn flakes/Rice Krispies
    -Brown bread
    -Natural Popcorn (no butter)
    -All fruits & veggies
    -Rice wraps (rice paper with coleslaw, salsa, hot peppers)
    -Tofu
    -Replacement meats (veggy dog/burger)
    -Oatmeal
    -Canned Maple Syrup Beans
    -SOUPS!!! all kinds of :)
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I literally eat everything. Healthy, unhealthy....I don't deprive myself. But I do try to make the fruits and vegetables outweigh the unhealthier things I eat. Some days I do really well, some days I do horribly. But I've found that no matter WHAT I eat, if I stay within my calorie goal (1650), I lose weight consistently each week, barring terrible stress or PMS. I know others have different results, but that's what works for me.
  • emwaitexo
    Options
    Whole grain breads (if i use bread)
    healthy salad and chicken wraps
    tons of veggies and fruit
    green smoothies
    eggs
    only water
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    A bit of everything - I try to eat healthily and I do cook most things from scratch (including muffins/cookies etc due to food allergies in my household). Evening meals include a glass of red. I love fruit and MFP has helped me rediscover the foods I used to eat bucketloads of as a skinny young thing.

Nothing is totally out of bounds - I now just watch how much I eat of it.

Right now I am just about to chow down a slice of black cherry cheesecake (homemade of course) and there is not a skerrit of diet anything in this baby. It fits my calories and I am having a reasonable portion. MmmmmmMMMMmmm.
  • reptilegrrl
    reptilegrrl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If you can create a calorie deficit and meet nutrient needs then the individual food items are less important. Diet as a whole matters a lot.

With this, I disagree. I think individual food items are VERY important. And I also do not think a calorie deficit is important or should be everyone's goal. Just as an example, one of my biggest problems losing weight has been that I didn't eat enough calories every day. In order to lose weight, I had to eat MORE food, not less. But if a significant portion of that food was sugar, I wouldn't lose.

I know everyone is different, and some people find that counting calories works for them. But not all of us need to focus on creating a calorie deficit.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

With this, I disagree. I think individual food items are VERY important. And I also do not think a calorie deficit is important or should be everyone's goal. Just as an example, one of my biggest problems losing weight has been that I didn't eat enough calories every day. In order to lose weight, I had to eat MORE food, not less. But if a significant portion of that food was sugar, I wouldn't lose.

I know everyone is different, and some people find that counting calories works for them. But not all of us need to focus on creating a calorie deficit.

How can you lose weight without a calorie deficit? And if you are in a calorie deficit why would you not lose weight?
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

How can you lose weight without a calorie deficit? And if you are in a calorie deficit why would you not lose weight?

Let me guess.....special snowflake phenomenon?
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Some of the stuff I eat on a regular basis

-Cottage cheese
    -Eggs
    -Salads, usually with kale as the base
    -Sweet potatoes
    -Whole wheat bread/english muffins/tortillas/pitas
    -Tuna
    -Peanut butter
    - Veggies (cucumber, carrots, celery..) with hummus
    -Multigrain tortilla chips with salsa
    -Greek yogurt
    -Chicken breast and thighs
    -Pork loin chops
    -Brown rice
    -Walnuts
    -Almonds
    -Bananas
    -Apples
    -Berries
    -Cantaloupe
    -Oatmeal
    -Sugar free jello
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The advice below from the Harvard School of Public Health sums up the diet I strive for. It is a very general statement, and Idon't always follow this 100%, but it is my dietary goal.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/
    The answer to the question "What should I eat?" is actually pretty simple. But you wouldn't know that from news reports on diet and nutrition studies, whose sole purpose seems to be to confuse people on a daily basis. When it comes down to it, though—when all the evidence is looked at together—the best nutrition advice on what to eat is relatively straightforward: Eat a plant-based diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains; choose foods with healthy fats, like olive and canola oil, nuts and fatty fish; limit red meat and foods that are high in saturated fat; and avoid foods that contain trans fats. Drink water and other healthy beverages, and limit sugary drinks and salt. Most important of all is keeping calories in check, so you can avoid weight gain, which makes exercise a key partner to a healthy diet.

I try to eat as many vegetables as possible. More vegetables than fruit. More fish than other meat. More poultry than red meats. And stick to reduced fat dairy, when I do dairy.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    The advice below from the Harvard School of Public Health sums up the diet I strive for. It is a very general statement, and Idon't always follow this 100%, but it is my dietary goal.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/
    The answer to the question "What should I eat?" is actually pretty simple. But you wouldn't know that from news reports on diet and nutrition studies, whose sole purpose seems to be to confuse people on a daily basis. When it comes down to it, though—when all the evidence is looked at together—the best nutrition advice on what to eat is relatively straightforward: Eat a plant-based diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains; choose foods with healthy fats, like olive and canola oil, nuts and fatty fish; limit red meat and foods that are high in saturated fat; and avoid foods that contain trans fats. Drink water and other healthy beverages, and limit sugary drinks and salt. Most important of all is keeping calories in check, so you can avoid weight gain, which makes exercise a key partner to a healthy diet.

I try to eat as many vegetables as possible. More vegetables than fruit. More fish than other meat. More poultry than red meats. And stick to reduced fat dairy, when I do dairy.

Since I went to school at the Harvard School of Public Health, I agree with this post!! :)

But I don't understand what you mean by JUNK, JUNK, JUNK. Do you mean that you eat chocolate bars and candy and chips all day? Or do you mean that you have correct meals and snacks, but that they aren't healthy like having a huge chocolate chip muffin for breakfast?

If you don't have correct meals and snacks, the first thing you need to do is make sure that you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, with healthy snacks in between if you get hungry.

Since you eat protein, carb, and veggies for dinner, you probably need to get more fresh fruit in during the day, either for breakfast, or as snacks. Make sure that at least 50% of your carbs are healthy carbs (think fiber) and that you get dairy and healthy fats in (which help keep you away from craving sweets and salts).

And drink lots of water!

This doesn't mean you can't mix it up or eat things that taste good.