Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

PROTEIN

EVERY DAY MY LEVEL OF PROTEIN INTAKE IS HIGHER THAT MY ALLOTTED DAILY ALLOWANCE. DOES THAT MEAN THAT I SHOULD GIVE UP MY PROTEIN FOODS AND EAT MORE LIKE A VEGETARIAN. THIS WOULD BE DIFFICULT BECAUSE I AM NOT A GREAT FAN OF VEGGIES. ALSO I HAVE READ THAT IT IS THE PROTEIN THAT HELPS TO LOSE WEIGHT. IT IS LIKE THE FIRE IN THE FURNACE THAT BURNS UP THE FAT. COMMENTS PLEASE

Replies

• Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    I always eat more than my allotted protein everyday per my doctor's orders. I have to eat 75-100 gms. of protein a day and decrease my carb intake. I meet my goals almost every day. I do enjoy eating some veggies and try to get them in every day. I wouldn't be concerned about going over on your proteins.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    MFP's setting are too low. I usually hit between 80 and 100 grams a day. :smile:
  • shefury
    shefury Posts: 56 Member
    Isn't there a way to increase My Fitness Pal's settings to allot for a little more protein? Exercise (especially weights) would require more protein, for example...plus I find a little extra protein makes me less hungry....that's a good thing. I don't think going over a little is a problem...just don't know how much "extra" is okay. Anyone?
  • MFP's standard macros have ridiculously low levels of protein. I suggest that you click "goals" and change the percentages.

Ideally you should be eating at least 1g of protein per lb of lean body weight. Otherwise you're likely to lose muscle mass when dieting.

I generally try to eat about 200g and on some days close to 300g.

Make sure that you drink lots of water though. Your kidneys take a beating when you eat so much protein.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    MFP sets protein fairly low (15%) so its fine to go over, i aim for at least 125g per day and have my macros set to 30% protein.

as for protein 'burning fat' thats rubbish!

• Make sure that you drink lots of water though. Your kidneys take a beating when you eat so much protein.

Good to know
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    EVERY DAY MY LEVEL OF PROTEIN INTAKE IS HIGHER THAT MY ALLOTTED DAILY ALLOWANCE. DOES THAT MEAN THAT I SHOULD GIVE UP MY PROTEIN FOODS AND EAT MORE LIKE A VEGETARIAN. THIS WOULD BE DIFFICULT BECAUSE I AM NOT A GREAT FAN OF VEGGIES. ALSO I HAVE READ THAT IT IS THE PROTEIN THAT HELPS TO LOSE WEIGHT. IT IS LIKE THE FIRE IN THE FURNACE THAT BURNS UP THE FAT. COMMENTS PLEASE

Hun, all capitals is SHOUTING on the forum...ouch my eyes!

Go into your goals section and check what your carbs/protein/fat ratios have been set to automatically by MFP...then do some googling on what is optimal for your age/fitness level/goals etc and manually adjust them to suit you.

Happy googling!
  • I seem to almost always go over my protein allowance but as long as i'm under on my calories and fat i don't worry too much abuot it!
  • I agree with the other posters here. MFP sets your protein level way lower than it should be. I would never be worried about eating too much protein. I have seen the best results eating about 45% protein, which for my current plan is about 160g per day.
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    I am for 50% protein to maximize my fat loss. Why does this work? Protein is not easily converted into fat unlike carbs. Your body actually burns additional calories trying to store protein. It is also excellent for keeping you satisfied and critical for maintaining or gaining lean muscle mass.
    Good luck
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member

I'm having trouble controlling THE VOLUME OF MY VOICE
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member

Make sure that you drink lots of water though. Your kidneys take a beating when you eat so much protein.

Good to know

Actually, unless you have a medical condition involving kidney issues, it's not necessarily going to cause any trouble. Here are a couple of good articles:

http://www.coachcalorie.com/how-much-protein-is-too-much-per-day/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/556322-how-much-protein-is-right-for-you/
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    capslock_cruise_control_for_cool_postcard-p239655343994665456envli_400.jpg
  • shefury
    shefury Posts: 56 Member
    In defense of Cybergran's capitals....well she's my mom...lol...she's a fair amount older than the majority of us and didn't get a big lesson on Internet etiquette. Despite me giving her the same advice to NOT TYPE ALL IN CAPS...I think she thinks it works for her ... hahaha!!.

But I hope she'll take your advice as for the protein levels and the ALL CAPS TYPING! LOL ****love you mom****
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    I always go over my protein..I don't worry about it..it's set low here so I changed my settings..just drink lots of water..like you're supposed too..... :smile:
  • firedupfriend
    firedupfriend Posts: 140 Member
    In defense of Cybergran's capitals....well she's my mom...lol...she's a fair amount older than the majority of us and didn't get a big lesson on Internet etiquette. Despite me giving her the same advice to NOT TYPE ALL IN CAPS...I think she thinks it works for her ... hahaha!!.

But I hope she'll take your advice as for the protein levels and the ALL CAPS TYPING! LOL ****love you mom****

Aerobics for all - jumping to conclusions.
    I feel I ought to apologise for all the comments regarding the caps.
    I just checked on cybergrans profile and all I can say is .....

JOLLY WELL DONE GRAN!!! GO FOR IT!!!