Belly fat!D:

Options
Okay so I am 5 9' and I weigh about 132 pounds.
I had started my weight loss journey this summer to basically get rid of all the body fat I have on me.
I had started doing about an hour worth of Air Climber which helps tone my lower body and also started the 30 Day Shred.
I was really in to it until school started and I just lost focus, but I tried to keep it up by still doing the Air Climber now and then. Then I stopped for a while, BUTTT then I got back and started Ripped in 30. I keep restarting this program because I always take a 3-4 days break or maybe even 2 weeks. I have the SAME EXACT body and I don't know what to do. No matter how much I try I can't loose the fat, which is basically my sides and lower belly and also my calves. I am soo upset right now and I have lost all motivation and I have NO idea what to do. Can so one really help me out here pleassseee.>_< Can anyone give me any tips, advises, or suggestions on what I should do and how I should plan my diet?

Replies

• orangelobster
    Options
    Check your posture and consider doing yoga or pilates. Maybe it's not belly fat - rather, it is swayback
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Losing fat is about diet and exercise. You have to be willing to commit to both and stick with them. Doing it half way won't work, which is why you're getting the current results. You already know what to do, but you're not doing it each and every day.
  • ZUMBAMomma84
    Options
    find something else to worry about? J/K

try weight lifting.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Spot reduction is impossible (without surgery). You just have to lose more weight to see it come off in a certain area.
  • jheye
    jheye Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I checked a height weight chart and at 5'9" even with a small frame the low end of the healthy weight range is 129 lbs. Are you sure you actually have belly fat to lose? Maybe you could get your body fat percentage checked at a gym or by a trainer- I expect you are where you are supposed to be.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I checked a height weight chart and at 5'9" even with a small frame the low end of the healthy weight range is 129 lbs. Are you sure you actually have belly fat to lose? Maybe you could get your body fat percentage checked at a gym or by a trainer- I expect you are where you are supposed to be.

this
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance or a very small calorie deficit and strength train. You are at a relatively low weight for your height (not saying too low) so it seems that you should be focusing on body composition rather than weight loss.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    From one Dallas friend to another: I echo Sara's sentiments of focusing on weight training while either eating at maintenance or a slight calorie deficit to recomp body composition.
  • Brussel_Sprout81
    Options
    Run, run, run.
    It burns a lot of fat. I am very petite, but store all of my extra weight as belly fat. Running has helped me to burn it off.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Check your posture and consider doing yoga or pilates. Maybe it's not belly fat - rather, it is swayback

I was thinking this too. Without seeing any pictures of you (and with the raised eyebrow of you stating people always call you skinny in your profile), if it's "fat" located more in your lower abdomen, that could legitimately be your posture. Otherwise, focus on lifting weights to build muscle to eat any lingering fat you may have, aka, body recomposition.
  • AngelChini
    AngelChini Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just recently started doing cardio and run a mile every friday(: I also will look into Pilates and yoga and hopefully that will solve my problem(:
  • minsooky
    Options
    Check your body fat percentage. You may have a shape commonly referred to as "skinny fat" -- while the person is skinny, his or her body fat percentage may be high. However, the last thing you should do is lose weight, and in fact increasing cardio may cause you to lose more lean mass, which can actually make the problem worse. Building more muscle mass will fill out any trouble areas, and therefore make you look leaner. You can do this by eating in a small surplus and lifting weights, then dieting again once you're satisfied with how much mass you've gained.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    loosing fat is a longggg process theres around 3500calories per pound of body fat and say you need to lose 28pounds of fat ... 98 000 calories basically need to be in deficit , do u have an idea of how long it would take to be in such a deficit for notacble results? especially if you on that last bit of stubborn fat .. PATIENCE is KEY
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Honey, you're supposed to have some body fat. Women are built that way.

If you really want the ripped, lean look of a body-builder, it takes very careful dieting and a lot of weight-lifting. That is something that will require a couple of hours a day to dedicate strictly to fitness. It is not a natural state for our bodies. Maybe that is something you want to do, but recognize you're going to have to dedicate a large chunk of your life to it.

What I regret most about my body image, is that when I was a teenager and young adult, at 5'8" and 131 pounds, I thought I was fat. I wasn't; just about anyone (except me) would have said I was slim. Sure, I had some fat on my thighs, even a bit on my tummy. The worst was I had fat chipmunk cheeks; you can't hide that. But I wasn't fat. I had a body fat measurement done at that time (by a trained person with calipers) and I came in at 20%, which is a healthy percentage for a female. (You know, enough fat to have breasts and a period.)

So, if you want a firmer look, sure, lift some weights (and not just little weights, either). And maybe add some more protein to your diet. But don't cut back on your calories, that's asking for an eating disorder.
    Take care of yourself!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Lift weights & clean up your diet.

EDIT: And do less cardio.
  • UWZander
    Options
    I owe you five solid minutes of laughter after I youtubed the air climber.
  • AngelChini
    AngelChini Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ohh I thought cardio will help me loose the lower belly fat well that's what my gym teacher said. I have started doing Pilates and those are painful!! But hey no pain no gain! And hey be nice!! Air climber actually helps lol^^
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have a pilates dvd from the library that I tried a couple of times and I am not able to do some of the poses. Are you doing a dvd or taking a class?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ohh I thought cardio will help me loose the lower belly fat well that's what my gym teacher said. I have started doing Pilates and those are painful!! But hey no pain no gain! And hey be nice!! Air climber actually helps lol^^

Cardio just burns a lot of calories... in fact you will lose more muscle when you do more cardio. Weight training, the kind where you do reps (like 10 or less) is much more effective at cutting fat. Since you are at the low end of the scale, you might actually have to do a bulk phase if you cant cut enough fat. Adding 10 lbs of muscle or more will allow your to fill in your skin. But drop cardio tk 1-2 days.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Have you tried insanity?