I do not mind slow weight loss but I need a pep talk!

Options
weightdownasofNov2012.jpg

I started this journey at about 198. Today, I am bouncing from 186 to 189 and most of the time, I am closer to 189. I do not mind if my weight loss is slow because I here for the long-haul and I do not have a lot more time to exercise than I already do...

I would like to hear from other people that have experienced a successful painfully slow weight loss.

Thanks!

Height: 5' 9.75"
SW: 198
CW: 189 (100 days on MFP, an average of .63 a week loss with my calories set at 1 pound per week, and most of that came off during the first weeks)
GW: 150
Calories: 1470 (stay under the majority of the time)
Movement: 30 Shed 3-4x a week and one long walk/ski (2-3 miles) on the weekends. When we get more snow, I will skiing an additional 2x a week with a ski club.
Eating: I do eat carbs, sugar and some booze but I stay under on my calories. Like I said, I do not mind if this is slow -- it is more important that it is sustainable. But if I could blast off a little more weight with a temporary approach, I would be open to that too...

Replies

• amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    what about your measurements????

btw those carbs are keeping your bloated which is why your water weight fluctuates so much. you dont have to give them up just cut back some
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. Carbs didn't seem that bad. It looks like you get a lot of sodium. Is that true? I know when I get a lot I swell like crazy and can jump up 5 to 6 pounds. I up my water and back off the salt and away it goes. You can do this!! Hang in there!!
  • 140cori
    Options
    Lower your salt intake, up your water intake, stay away from booze for a couple of weeks to experiment (empty calories you should be getting from carbs). Have you thought about changing up your workout? If you have been doing shred for the past two months your body is used to it. Shake things up a bit and confuse your body. If you belong to a gym, try some weights. If you are new to it, have someone show you how it is done. If you prefer to stay home, P90X is awesome. Remember, muscle burns fat. You don't have a body builder body. Low weights and high reps will build a nice toned body, fat will be burned and your inches will shrink! You lost 10 lbs in 2 months, slow and steady wins the race so keep on running. You will get there!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    It took me 5 years to get where I am today. Yes, it was frustrating at times but totally worth it. I agree about cutting out the booze if you drink. That is how I dropped my first 20 pounds.

Just eat healthy and keep moving.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. In about 12.5 weeks I've lost 6 lbs. I'm still more than 20 to go just to get back into the healthy weight range. So since I'm average a half a pound a week I've sort of settled my brain into the fact that I probably won't be a healthy weight for another year. Not sure what I can offer. I feel much the same as you. Happy that I am losing weight and knowing it will be a long process, but wishing it was just a smidgeon faster. I feel like at least 1 lb a week would be visible on my scale so I could tolerate that.

Not sure what to offer in suggestions. I've tried a lot of things and nothing seems to really speed it up. I've done calorie-cycling, upped protein, eaten a little more, eaten a little less, worked out more, started lifting weights...

If you are not already doing it I'd definitely suggest lifting weights. I didn't gain "muscle mass" but I definitely saw a lot more definition in my muscles. And that was gratifying to see even while the scale was standing still. 30 day shred is a good start to that, but there's still probably some supplemental exercises you can be doing in addition. I was eating about 1340 calories (MFP recommended 1 lb per week) when I started. I bumped that up to 1450 based on the roadmap post (search the posts for "in place of a roadmap" version 2.0 by helloitsdan). So far I am finding that the added 100 calories a day is doing nothing to my weight loss. So, since you weigh a bit more than me and are much taller, you could probably survive by adding a little more (you didn't say whether you eat back exercise calories so maybe you already are). I don't really buy the whole "starvation mode" thing, but I do think it's less stressful overall to have more calories to play with. You might try it and see if it changes your weight loss at all.

If you want to add me as a friend go ahead, or any other slow losers here, I'm sure we could all use the encouragement!
  • em3120
    em3120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. It has taken me a month to lose 2 pounds. I decided to up my calories a bit and see if that helps me. I've gained some weight from doing so, but I am convinced it will help me in the long run. This may be a weird question, but how did you make that graph? I would love to track my progress (as slow and long as it might be). :)
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help or not, but you and I are pretty close in size, I'm 5' 10" and am currently at 178 pounds (down from 225 pounds). I'm a few years older than you.

My calories are set to 1550 a day and I normally eat pretty close to that each day. My diary is open if you want to look. I was on vacation Nov. 6-10 so those dates aren't really representative of my normal eating habits, you may need to look further back to see how I've been eating since I started MFP mid-June.
    I don't eat back my exercise calories, but always make sure I net over 1200 for the day.

My exercise is treadmill about 4-5 days a week, and very brisk dog walks 2-3 days a week. I lift light weights and do some crunches and the like most days. I lowball my calories burned, for instance if my treadmill says I burned 250 calories I'll only give myself credit for 185 calories.

If you look at my profile you can see my weight loss, I don't have a fancy chart like you do!
    I wish you luck in jumpstarting your weight loss, I know I'm working hard to have this be a slow, steady, and lasting process.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Here's a big plus-you're less likely to have saggy skin after weight loss! Losing weight slowly will save your skin's elasticity.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Slow, steady, and sustainable is good. You have to do what works with your lifestyle. But if you want to speed things up--make some minor changes to your diet; eat more lean protein and fewer simple carbs (aim for complex carbs), and scale back on alcohol and sugar.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    The slower it comes off the more likely it is to stay off.

I lost 20lbs over the course of almost two years. I'm still going. It's slow and I don't mind it one bit. I do not have a deadline to lose weight, and I feel a lot healthier than I did when I started.
  • PINKinquisition1908
    Options
    Slow, steady, and sustainable is good. You have to do what works with your lifestyle. But if you want to speed things up--make some minor changes to your diet; eat more lean protein and fewer simple carbs (aim for complex carbs), and scale back on alcohol and sugar.

I love your cat with the pink wig avatar
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think you're doing great. It's the consistency that pays off. I am also losing pretty slowly - a pound a week. But I've done that since May and have lost 25 pounds - back to a healthy weight that I had when I was 24. And I'm more than 10 years older than you.

I found that at about 3 months, things slowed down a lot for me. Then they got much faster again. Things aren't steady, but they are consistent over the long haul.

I also know that most people stall at around 3-4 months because they start getting sloppy a little about their eating and their logging. At 6 months I can feel myself having to fight that. But it's still working!

Keep up the good fight!
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're right on track as far as your goal (a pound a week). I don't see what the problem is....
    I am pretty much the same way and after a while you just have to come to accept it. I typically show no weight loss except about once a month. It's weird. Other people losing daily, I lose monthly. Eventually, I stopped worrying about it and started focusing more on gains in the weight room, body fat loss, how much better I feel, etc.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. It has taken me a month to lose 2 pounds. I decided to up my calories a bit and see if that helps me. I've gained some weight from doing so, but I am convinced it will help me in the long run. This may be a weird question, but how did you make that graph? I would love to track my progress (as slow and long as it might be). :)

You can see your graphs by going to the reports tab. then choose your options and voila :) The OP would ahve to tell you how she posted it though.... I can't seem to upload pics to forums :(
  • popzork
    popzork Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I've lost 30 lbs over a one year period with the first 10 off in the first couple of months.

The unfortunate side of this site and all other calculators is it's based on averages. But, as you know averages are achieved by highs and lows. This goes for your BMR.

When you plug in your height, weight and goals, the number it comes up with is an average. Based on my height and weight, the computer says my RMR should be 1490. I got it tested at a clinic and in reality it was only 1022.

That is why I can't lose weight easily. This could be the case for you, too.

I can't eat much less but I can exercise more as well as build more muscle mass to up my metabolism.

See if you can get your RMR tested so you can work with accurate numbers, not averages.