Weighted Hula Hoops

Options
2»

Replies

• summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Bruises are totally normal. The good news is that after you bruise a time or two, the body toughens up and you stop bruising when you hoop. I've gone through hoop bruises on hips, hands, ankles, arms....

I also forgot to mention earlier that I had to add my own exercise for hooping. I did some calculations by taking my heart rate several times while hoop dancing and plugging the average heart rate into an online calculator, and I calculated that I burn about 300 calories an hour. I definitely recommend doing this or using a HRM and creating your own cardio exercise for hooping.
  • traceyjay1
    Options
    Thank you for the tips summer8it....

It sounds like you know your stuff when it comes to hooping - would you say that a weighted one is best although the rotations are slower and therefore you're not working as fast to keep it going or a normal one which you have to work harder to keep up but has no added weight to it??
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips summer8it....

It sounds like you know your stuff when it comes to hooping - would you say that a weighted one is best although the rotations are slower and therefore you're not working as fast to keep it going or a normal one which you have to work harder to keep up but has no added weight to it??

I'm biased, because what I am into is hoop dance, not just hooping around the midsection for cardio. For hoop dance, the hoop needs to be light enough to lift off the body, twirl overhead, etc. The hoop that I started with was large and heavy, made of 1" diameter irrigation tubing and the hoop itself was over 40" in diameter - it probably weighs about a pound and a half. I was able to learn the basic motion of waist hooping and turning with my hoop (as well as turning inside my hoop, against the rotation), but the hoop was too heavy for me to lift overhead. I've moved to progressively smaller and lighter hoops, and I use my whole body when I dance!

A beginner should start with a hoop that is large enough and heavy enough to maintain the spin, but it doesn't necessarily need to be a 2 or 3 lb. weighted sport hoop. A large dance hoop will be heavy enough to keep going, but light enough to learn other tricks, like lifts and drops, off-body moves like the weave, and hooping around other parts of the body like the thighs or shoulders.
  • ITTYbitty04
    ITTYbitty04 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been trying hoopla hooping also. I was really sore the first few days also, but have been ok the last few times I've tried. I didn't buy mine though, my mom watched a few YouTube videos and made one for me. I'm not sure how heavy it is but she used black PVC pipe and filled it with water and then we wrapped it with special non slip tape. Tried to insert a pic but can't figure out how to do it on my IPad.

I also use a Hear rate monitor to track my calories and burn about 135 calories for 20 minutes. To help with the beginning soreness I used one of those tummy bands that's supposed to shrink your belly. Now I can do it without the band because my stomach and hips have toughened up some.

If you haven't bought one yet look on YouTube they seem simple to make! Good luck
  • Lesilie
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if there is a way to add weight to a regular hula hoop?
  • hulahoopmama
    hulahoopmama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If it has barbed fittings you can add water, sand, or rice to the hoop. Be sure you weigh yourself holding your hoop so you can get an accurate read of how heavy the hoop is. So if its 1lb. 8 ounces and you want a 5 lb. hoop you add 3 lb. 8 oz of water/sand/rice...

Anything over 5lb will be really hard to keep up and may bruise you badly.
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Please do a little research on the Pros and Cons of weighting your hula hoop. Those of us who are certified Hoopnotica instructors do not recommend weighting your hoop. The centrifical force of the weighted part of your hoop against your spinal cord is not recommended. However, there may be other sources who think it's okay. Look at both sides of the argument.