Excessive Stomach fat

Options

Replies

• sarafay80
    sarafay80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I also hold a lot of weight in my tummy - it is my problem area for sure. I do strength training 2 times a week, basic cardio - elliptical 2 times a week and a cardio class 1 time a week (usually kickboxing). It's been about 7 months. I have lost several inches off my waist and hip area and my entire body is toning nicely, BUT my stomach area is still VERY FATTY.

I spoke to my trainer about it yesterday and he said focus on the core muscles to held tone it up, but it will take time. He basically said it's the first area to gain and the last/hardest area to tighten back up.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Work on building muscle. Lifting weights is a great way to do this. Find something that you enjoying doing. I personally love pilates and the dvd Squeeze for strength training, and I have definitely noticed a difference in my body since incorporating weights into my routine.

I highly recommend weight lifting to, but fat loss still comes down to calories.

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Start lifting now, lift heavy and change it up often, find a lot of weight routines with free weights, make it fun, embrace it, make it part of your life. Only 3 days a week is all it would take. Crank up your tunes and learn to love it, because your body will love it and it will make your quality of life better in many ways, especially when you get older like me.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, and you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are female you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulky and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. You cannot out exercise too many calories.
  • svanzile
    svanzile Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it comes off where it wants to first (frustrating, I know!) Give 30 Day Shred a try... it's a strength training, cardio, ab combo that helps you lose inches all over.
  • pepsami
    pepsami Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    tiffany rothe has 10 minute workouts on youtube they are alot of fun and after one u feel the burn the next day i use them and see a lil tightening in my mommy tummy hope this helps
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    God. Two posts in one thread?

*shoots self*
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options

*shoots self*

*sigh* pass me the gun too.

Oh wait..
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    The things that worked for me were 1) I had to loose more weight as you cannot spot train/reduce and 2) the stomach weight melted off as soon as I started lifting weights. Strength Training is key. A clean diet also..no excess sugars, processed foods or junk. As soon as I incorporated these changes into my routine, the stomach fat just dissappeared more and more every day and is now gone.

I hear that the stomach is also the very last place that weight comes off.
  • januarythoughts
    januarythoughts Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information everyone! It seems like I need to find a beginners weight routine to help with building muscle. Anyone know of a good routine to start with?
  • jennatha
    Options
    Kettlebell work outs have relly worked for me. Aslo, crossfit will melt the fat right off. I had lost nearly 60 lbs and people noticed but after doing crossfit for 3 months I could barely recognize myself in the mirror and everyone was asking me what I was doing. Within that 3 months I didnt lose a single lb but did lose 3 inches off my waist and 5 inches off my hips and 1 inch off each thigh. Keep in mind I didnt lose any wieght but gained muscle and the fat just vanished. I will never be thin but doing crossfit allows me to make the most of my body:) I carried almost all of my weight in my stomach so finding something to lose that was a huge deal for me:) Good luck!
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

*shoots self*

*sigh* pass me the gun too.

Oh wait..

PMSL :laugh:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the information everyone! It seems like I need to find a beginners weight routine to help with building muscle. Anyone know of a good routine to start with?

Get the book "Starting Strength" and/or look up the program "Strong Lifts" - both are excellent resources for beginners.
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'll probably get crucified for mentioning this, but - the hCG diet is supposed to target certain areas, including the belly.

Disclaimer: I have not actually tried it.
    Why would you say stuff like this? :( it makes all of us sad.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    I'll probably get crucified for mentioning this, but - the hCG diet is supposed to target certain areas, including the belly.

Why would you say stuff like this? :( it makes all of us sad.

:cry:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

You can't be serious right? :frown:
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I only weigh 109 right now and my belly is still flabb central!!! I've switched over to more weights...so we'll see what happens!
  • jopowell84
    jopowell84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I found using a sweat belt helps alot. You can get one from walmart for $4-$6. Wear it while you work out or just around the house and you will see a difference.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Agree with everything said about the weight lifting, but I love Jillian Michaels' 6 week 6 pack for losing belly fat too. Its a 30 minute cardio and core routine. I have lost close to 2 inches off my lower belly in about a month after adding this to my routine.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights should be the foundation of your plan. Free weights. Squats, Dead lifts, the basics. You wouldn't build a house on squish, pull of the excess fat by building yourself some muscle, that way when you are at rest, you burn more!
    ^^^This^^^
    Reduce your cardio and lift heavy!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Cathe Friedrich has great DVDs for lifting, especially STS
  • januarythoughts
    januarythoughts Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you!