"Doctors are _______ to Fat Patients"

Options

Replies

• MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Yes, damn those doctors for telling people to get healthy. :huh:

Really? Losing weight /= healthy.

Since I was 10, the first thing every doctor ever said to me is: You need to lose some weight. Never mattered what I came in to see them about. They never gave me and info or help on how to do this. Most of them seem to believe being fat is the root of every health problem I've had.

Basing off your ticker, which has a highest weight of 300lbs, yes that IS unhealthy. Losing weight would YES = healthy. Did you ever ask your doctor for any info?! Sorry to say, but at 300lbs, being fat was probrably a major factor in health problems.
    I don't get why you disagree that to lose weight would be healthier. You are here to lose weight..........

My doctor told me that I would die by the time I was 35-40 if I didnt get my weight under control.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    When it comes down to it, being overweight is a health issue. While thin does not always mean healthy, simply losing weight can do wonders for overall health.

Doctors aren't there to cater to hypersensitive people, their job is to diagnose and offer guidance on how to be healthier. They wouldn't sugarcoat the possible prognoses for someone who smokes or drinks in excess, and they shouldn't really be expected to dance delicately around patients whose weight is at an unhealthy level.

Yes, but telling an overweight patient who isn't at a point of readiness to tackle the problem to lose weight can trigger doctor-avoidance, so I think a little dancing-around can be desirable, at times.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Okay... I realize I'm probably being naive right now, but I'm just wondering, how does a vegan get fat? If you're a true vegan? Do you eat like, 15 pounds of carrots a day? I really don't get it, I'm sorry...

Anyway, this woman just sounds like a whiny *kitten* to me that doesn't want to be told she has a DISEASE called OBESITY.

french fries and ketchup are vegan.

Haha some fries are vegan, but McD's got in a heap of trouble because theirs are fried in beef tallow.....or they were, before the angry vegans put a stop to it.........
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Being fat isn't healthy, and weight loss will improve health markers.

That's the truth, Ruth.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    They treat fat people the same way they treat smokers. Try being both!

The reality of it is that they are failing to see an opportunity. They make the most money off of obese, sick people.

Seriously, though, if you feel your doctor is being rude and judgmental towards you, you should talk to them about it. You are not just a patient, you are a customer.

Actually, a doctor's appointment was what finally motivated me to lose weight, and interestingly enough, he never said a word about it. I got on that scale, saw that number, and realized I had done this to myself.
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor one time and he literally grabbed my stomach and said "looks like you have a little extra here" I wanted to slap him so bad!!!!:angry:
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Granted, I was still an average size (about one pound away from being in the overweight catagory), I had gained perhaps 15-20lbs between doctor visits and I was rather offended that my doctor DIDN'T say anthing. Didn't even question it, and it had only been less than a year between visits.

Though, thinking about it, I don't know if they keep track of what I am/was or if the doctor sees it at all and my baggy attire hides my extra pounds.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Okay... I realize I'm probably being naive right now, but I'm just wondering, how does a vegan get fat? If you're a true vegan? Do you eat like, 15 pounds of carrots a day? I really don't get it, I'm sorry...

oreos, bread, olive oil, nuts, avocadoes. these are just a few vegan foods which are calorically dense.

This is only a start. Even vegans who eat whole foods can overdo on calories. Just ask me how I *know* that!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Really? Losing weight /= healthy.

Since I was 10, the first thing every doctor ever said to me is: You need to lose some weight. Never mattered what I came in to see them about. They never gave me and info or help on how to do this. Most of them seem to believe being fat is the root of every health problem I've had.

Basing off your ticker, which has a highest weight of 300lbs, yes that IS unhealthy. Losing weight would YES = healthy. Did you ever ask your doctor for any info?! Sorry to say, but at 300lbs, being fat was probrably a major factor in health problems.
    I don't get why you disagree that to lose weight would be healthier. You are here to lose weight..........

There is no guarantee that losing weight will make you healthy. Just as there is no guarantee that not losing weight will make you sick.

But being obese is a risk factor for most preventable diseases. Even being overweight raises risk. Losing weight takes away that risk. And in some cases, it may actually take away the disease.
  • lexusjade
    lexusjade Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The problem is when doctors start using a patient's weight as a crutch for every health problem. Yes, we all know that weight causes are exacerbates certain health problems, but it is dangerous for a patient's well-being when a doctor gets lazy and just assumes that the patient's weight is the cause of any and all ailments. I had a doctor do something similar to me when I started having heart palpitations, he started lecturing me on not eating fried foods or fast foods (which I don’t do), and refused to listen to me when I explained how my weight had continue to creep up even with a 75% health diet (I had my food diary with me) and exercise. His response was I should do more, workout an hour, six days a week, and never eat any sugar, salt, or fats (I am not making this up). Anyway, needless to say I saw another doctor who did a full work-up and found that all my labs were fine except for an extremely high amount of thyroid antibodies, further testing followed and I was diagnosed with Hashimotos. So obviously scarfing my face and fried foods and candies was not my issue.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

oreos, bread, olive oil, nuts, avocadoes. these are just a few vegan foods which are calorically dense.

Oreos are vegan? And bread? :huh: Aren't there animal products in those?
  • Masqueraded
    Options
    I had one doctor that was pretty rude about my weight. She constantly tried me to go vegan, and finally I just sat down with her and explained I knew I needed to lose weight to be healthier. However her remarks and judgemental tone weren't helping me, and only discourging me. She apologized right away and said her daughter was overweight and refused to take any steps towards health and was just taking it out on patients in similar situations.

If you aren't cool with any of your doctors, talk to them about it. They could be a**holes or could be human. Either way, there's plenty of them out there.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I know smokers that have perfectly healthy lungs right now....and drinkers who's livers are fine....doesn't meant that eventually these things will hurt their health. Same with fat, you may be fine right now...but somewhere down the line it could cause you a major health problem....so "damn these doctors telling us to lose weight! I haven't had a heart attack yet" damn these doctors telling me to quit smoking, I don't have cancer yet, etc. and etc. see how crazy that sounds? Do what the doctor says....if he says you'd be healthier long term with less weight on you that is a fact and not him "being mean" as you age your joints can't hold weight as well as when your young, and your risks for things go up the older you get (heart attack, stroke, etc.)
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of personal stories about this!

1. When I was 13 my weight sky rocketed up to 220lbs. My mother took me in to the doctor and she says: Do you think she needs to lose weight? And he says: No. She's just got baby fat. She's not overweight at ALL. So of course my mother didn't pursue things further and me, being in complete denial at 13, continued on as I'd been doing before.

2. My roommate who was severely obese (pushing 400lbs) kept going to the doctor with intense stomach pains. Like, INTENSE. And his response? He just told her she had to lose weight. EVERY TIME. Then she started bleeding. Like crazy bleeding and it wasn't in connection to her period. I'd wake up and find blood clots on the floor because she would go to the bathroom and not notice. After a bajillion emergency room visits and countless suggestions of 'just lose weight' one doctor finally looked deeper and discovered she suffered from PCOS.

So I've kind of seen the side where they completely dismiss your problems because of your weight AND where they act as if your weight couldn't possibly be a problem (when they SHOULD be saying; yeah, she is over weight).
  • muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I see the problem here. The fact is that being overweight or obese is a major contributing factor to most illnesses and diseases. However, sometimes weight is NOT the cause or contributor, and it would be nice if doctors would listen to all the facts and investigate enough to ensure their assessments are really the case. Also, sometimes there is a combination of issues going on, and if the doctor does not go beyond "it's your weight", you have more obstacles to overcome that aren't even aware of.

I've been obese my entire life. I totally get that it has been a contributing factor to the majority of my health issues. However, a few times there has been more going on. For example,

- I lost a baby at six months. After that, my body was kind of hormonally screwed up, and for no apparent reason I started getting a serious case of hives every single day. It took about a year to get this under control. It turned out that weight was, in fact, a contributing factor, but simply losing weight would not have solved the issue. After much allergy testing and treatment, one doctor finally theorized that GERD might be triggering hives. When we treated the GERD, the hives minimized and eventually went away. The GERD itself was likely triggered by my weight, but simply losing weight had no effect on the hives. I had to take prednisone, other allergy meds, and daily Zantac, AND other meds to help balance my hormones. The point here is the solution was a combination approach. If my doctors had not looked past my weight, I'd still be miserable with hives.

- Another example was my migraine diagnosis. When I was diagnosed, I was very heavy, but losing 100 pounds had no impact on my migraines. To her credit, my neurologist tested me for EVERYTHING. She believes migraines can be triggered by any number of things. It turns out mine are triggered mainly by barometric pressure changes. If she had just said lose weight, I might still be in the hospital with complete aphasia from the migraine symptoms.

I have other examples. I absolutely agree that my weight is an issue, and that the weight I have lost already has already helped things like my Fibromyalgia, Asthma, Back Pain, etc. All this is to say that while I agree obesity is a common contributing factor, doctors need to investigate beyond that to make sure there are no other causes or issues.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Oreos are vegan? And bread? :huh: Aren't there animal products in those?

I'm confused here too... aren't both the bread and the oreo made with milk products?
    But yes, vegan doesn't mean only veggies, it means no animal products. Therefore, nuts, avocado, some pastas, high sugar fruits are all calorie dense and vegan.
  • Hungrygirl88
    Options
    When I was a teen, or younger I hated going to the doctore, because no matter what I did I would ALWAYS hear you need to lose weight.

So....after I lost about 70lbs in high school.....I heard it again...and I looked at my mom...my mouth open a little and I was like " I just lost 70lbs " the doctor perked up with her little attitude " Oh...well...good for you .." I could not stand her!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    In addition, there must be a fat tax. because fat people are draining healthcare budget.
    its a choice of eating. want to overeat? pay tax. just like tax on cigarretes.

Yes, anything you can think of to have an excuse to steal.
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Telling you what you already know is silly...What they need to do is give you the tools to achieve this healthier goal! Clearly overweight patients are having trouble on their own. What factors are involved.

Skinny is not always healthy...keep that in mind! I have a few very skinny friends and they have the worst eating habits. I consider myself more healthy then them anyday!

I'm sorry but I think that YOU are confused about what healthy means. Even if you only eat once per day and you eat 3,000 calories, that's still a ton. And I apologize if this sounds offensive, but there is no way that you got to three hundred pounds by not eating unless you have some sort of metabolic disorder. It is simple biochemistry. Your thin friends may eat worse things than you, but I'm guessing that they have other factors helping them, like:

1. More movement
    2. Smaller portions
    3. No binging
    4. Good genetics

Doctors are not nutritionists. They are going to tell you the things that you probably already know, like avoid soda, sweets, fast food, eat veggies, complex carbs, and protein. Move more. Doctors can tell you all this stuff, but they can't force you to do it.

Skinny does not equate healthy, but do not belittle the importance of healthy weight ranges, as they are researched and prescribed for a reason after much research.
  • NurseAshoRN
    NurseAshoRN Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    In my experience so far, healthcare professionals target modifiable risk factors. Meaning, you can't change your genetics, your gender ect, but you CAN change things like weight, smoking, and dietary intake.

As a nurse, I see a lot of patients who's outcome would improve by modifying risk factors. Ultimately it's not the end all be all, but could really improve quality of life. I changed my eating/exercising habits because I wanted to be a healthcare professional that promoted an active lifestyle and healthy eating habits, which is decreasing my risk for diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure.