Buttermilk Drop Biscuits - Easy and 104 Calories!!

Options
EvilShenanigansTX
EvilShenanigansTX Posts: 143 Member
I LOVE biscuits. I come from Texas where biscuits are practically a food group. My traditional drop biscuit recipe has 225 calories per biscuit! :sad: There was no way I could succeed on a diet if I had to give up biscuits, but there was no way I could lose weight at 225 cals for one biscuit. I put on my thinking cap and I found a way to lighten my biscuits up while keeping them tender, moist, and buttery! Each serving consists of two petite biscuits, but if you want just one it is just 52 calories! :love:

For an extra 13 calories per serving you can brush your biscuits with a touch (3 grams per serving - 12 grams for the whole batch) of reduced fat butter - I use Kerrygold Reduced fat since it is pure butter with no goofy chemicals. I like this little touch, but it is not necessary. I make a big batch of these on Sunday and freeze them for quick dinners and breakfasts during the week. Just microwave them for a few seconds to heat them up.

e33506122d4a11e2b23022000a1fc30c_7.jpg

Buttermilk Drop Biscuits - Yield 12 biscuits - Serves 6

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 packets Splenda (or your preferred no-calorie sweetener)
1 tablespoon salted butter (I use Kerrygold because it has a lot of flavor. Generic butter can't compare)
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 tablespoons water

Heat the oven to 350 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and Splenda. Whisk to combine. Add the butter and, with your fingers, rub the butter into the flour until the flour is completely coated and no pieces of butter remain. (The flour will have a slightly yellow hue when you are done.)

In a measuring cup combine the buttermilk and water. Add the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and mix with a spatula until just combined. (If the dough seems too dry add more water a teaspoon at a time. Some small lumps are ok, but do not over-mix or the biscuits will be tough.)

Scoop the dough into 12 biscuits onto the prepared pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the biscuits are lightly golden on top and deeply golden brown on the bottom, and they spring back when pressed in the center. (They may be a little pale, that is because there is less fat and no sugar.) If you are brushing with the additional butter pull the biscuits out at 10 minutes, brush with the butter and return to the oven for 1-2 minutes more.

Cool on the pan for 3 minutes then enjoy!

Replies