AGH! Ruining my day be eating at night - HELP!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• desiree7hanson
    desiree7hanson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh and make sure you eat 3-4 food groups in your three meals, so you are satisfied. If you are feeling hungry, you probably need to up your calories or put more healthy, satisfying foods in your meals. Take a look at my diary. I have 5 or so go to meals that I always eat, but it keeps me on track. I'm a vegetarian, so no meat in my meals though
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing. I usually don't eat until about noon or 1 pm and then eat like a bird until about 8 when I'm off work. After that I just gobble down the rest of my calories. If you're as hungry as you say you are you're diet may also be off.
  • isitsororo
    Options
    Find something to do with your mouth and hands. Floss your teeth. Squeeze a ball. Chew on gum. That sort of thing. That can reduce the urge to snack. Also, try keeping one of those water bottles with the suckable top with you, so when you want something in your mouth you can both not eat more fat and calories and help your water intake and make your mouth busy.
  • livityliv
    livityliv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Might sound lame but consider something like knitting or needlepoint-once you've got the hang of it your hands are occupied but your mind really isn't-you can still watch your shows but will be consistently busy throughout so you're not tempted to go back into the kitchen for more and more snacks.
  • LioshaM
    LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone... totally a habit. I used to bake 3 mini chocolate chip cookies every night and have them with the little cups of vanilla ice cream as my way of ending the day in front of my favorite show. I loved those times until I realized that my day wasn't complete until I had them.

Try to take a couple of days off from the snacking and find some really good relaxing tea. Chamomile is great. Or if you must have a snack due to hunger and you have a Trader Joes in your area, try some Pumpkin Butter added to some plain ff greek yogurt (140 calories and about 23 grams of protein) place in the freezer for a really good treat. You could possible add some crushed graham cracker crumbs and turn it into a parfait. DELISH!!! and very filling!!!!
  • lmketter
    Options
    I find chewing gum helps me. When I have a sweet tooth I find that I am better off eating something I enjoy. If I try to just eat something healthier I will over eat anyway. I have a recipe for a great little treat. It has chocolate,nuts peanut butter, etc... It's about the size of a ping pong ball. I have one every night as my treat and one with a banana before I workout. Since I started doing this I don't crave sweets anymore. If you would like I could email you the recipe.
  • Shelle68
    Shelle68 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing. I usually don't eat until about noon or 1 pm and then eat like a bird until about 8 when I'm off work. After that I just gobble down the rest of my calories. If you're as hungry as you say you are you're diet may also be off.

This works for me too! And I sabotage my eating all of the time. THIS ONE WORKS!

Actually, let me rephrase this. For me, I go as long as I can between lunch and 7pm without eating so that when I have that one meal that is a little more late in the evening, it holds me over through the night.
  • pat_asai
    pat_asai Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My favorite midnight snack, DIET WATER!
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    Might sound lame but consider something like knitting or needlepoint-once you've got the hang of it your hands are occupied but your mind really isn't-you can still watch your shows but will be consistently busy throughout so you're not tempted to go back into the kitchen for more and more snacks.

Honestly, this has helped me a LOT with tv eating, lol. I took up knitting and it's kinda hard to eat and knit at the same time. Plus, once you get the hang of it, you can choose a simple enough pattern to just knit while you watch tv. Other than that, I try to prelog my food as much as possible and save 200-300 calories for after dinner snacking.
  • JoyYip
    Options
    It would be good to open your diary, but I believe maybe making dinner or lunch your biggest meals would help or maybe intermittent fasting. I used to have problems with eating after work, but intermittent fasting has solved all that.

Intermittent fasting?? For how long, when.. and how often? Don't you feel more hungry... or does the larger meals tie you over. I'm confused because there is so much push to eat six smaller meals?
  • JoyYip
    Options
    I find chewing gum helps me. When I have a sweet tooth I find that I am better off eating something I enjoy. If I try to just eat something healthier I will over eat anyway. I have a recipe for a great little treat. It has chocolate,nuts peanut butter, etc... It's about the size of a ping pong ball. I have one every night as my treat and one with a banana before I workout. Since I started doing this I don't crave sweets anymore. If you would like I could email you the recipe.

Yes, I saw the treats on your diary.. please send me the recipe too!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Lower your calories for breakfast and lunch so you can indulge more in the evening time. I like a big dinner so that's what I do.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Lower your calories for breakfast and lunch so you can indulge more in the evening time. I like a big dinner so that's what I do.
    YEP..

i have coffee for breakfast, and save the majority of my calories for a few larger meals and some snacks later in the day.
    Makes me VERY happy and fits in my calories.
  • adstar20
    adstar20 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This was my biggest problem too. My problem is that I don't do moderation well. I knew it was just a habit because if I just ignored the urge to eat it would suck but I would still sleep fine and I wouldn't be any more hungry when I woke up in the morning. As a result, the only thing that worked for me is a rule. No eating anything after dinner (I will drink water) if I am at home.

It was quite unpleasant for the first few weeks but it doesn't bother me much anymore. On the occasional day it does, I try to focus more on being happy with keeping my streak alive.
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I had this issue when I was starting out. So I upped my cals and upped my exercise. Now I very rarely overeat--and it's not that I'm hungry, it's just that I'm craving something really unhealthy (or I'm on vacation and eat out at restaurants for every meal). I'd recommend either upping your cals a little to start with and make sure you get exercise in, or just make better choices earlier in the day to allow yourself a little bit of "veg" time.

And try to switch to healthier things--carrots and hummus, fruit, popcorn (surprisingly not as horrible for you when it's not movie theater...) :)

ETA: I also found that for a long time artificial sweeteners made me munchy. Once I broke myself of that habit, I can have a diet coke or a crystal light without turning munchy. If you drink diet drinks, try cutting back and see if it changes.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Maybe your post workout recovery snack is insufficient.
    I'm not a huge evening snacker, but I've discovered if I'm hungry & try to make it without a snack, a huge binge may result.
  • isitsororo
    Options
    YEP..

i have coffee for breakfast, and save the majority of my calories for a few larger meals and some snacks later in the day.
    Makes me VERY happy and fits in my calories.

Me too! I have small amounts of food for BF and lunch and then a bigger dinner and a nice evening snack.
  • tharrington82
    tharrington82 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I always save calories for a snack at night. If I have a hard workout I will make a protein smoothie with protein powder, yogurt, milk, and some kind of fruit. Its like a shake. If I didn't have a hard workout it is usually something like sugar free hot chocolate, or sugar free pudding (the instant kind by JellO not the cups) with a tbsp of semi sweet chocolate chips in it. Always works for me. I crave sweet at night. The best thing you can do is PLAN on those calories at night!
  • jenn1808
    Options
    I HAVE to have something to keep me busy while watching tv. Do you knit or crochet or anything like that? My friend swears that it keeps her busy enough to avoid snacking. I drink tea or water, or chew gum. If late night cravings are a serious problem for you, you could try talking to your doctor about medication to help. I'm trying Topamax, which is used off-label to curb food cravings. It's certainly not an easy fix and it won't replace diet and exercise, but it can help with overpowering cravings.