Makeup for Tough Mudder

JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
First, I kindly ask all you “People who wear makeup while exercising are stupid” types to skip this message. I don’t need your criticism.

Now…

I am training for a Tough Mudder next month. I have a heavily scarred face so I like to wear makeup when I race. I’ve used MAC Studio Fix during my 4-6 half/full marathons each year and except for one really, really hot race my makeup generally survives the race (and my pictures look as good as they possibly can after 20+ miles).

My MAC didn’t survive the mud from the Warrior Dash, though, and my scarring is obvious in my pictures. I know some of you are saying “who cares” but guess what… I do.

So does anyone have suggestions on a foundation I can use? I’ll try different ones during my training runs in the coming weeks.

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    I got nothing, but I did die my hair pink last spring in the Tough Mudder I did.

What a fun day!
  • JanieJack
    Pink hair... sounds like fun!!
  • 1ocean1girl
    1ocean1girl Posts: 197 Member
    I heard that BB cream is a great primer for foundation; maybe try that? Have fun on the big race day :)
  • LadyWeaselofVT
    LadyWeaselofVT Posts: 77 Member
    I was going suggest using a primer and then some kind of powder to set it because your Mac foundation sounds almost right... maybe it just needs help.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Just a suggestion, maybe look into Mehron Barrier Spray. If you already have a good foundation, after setting it with powder you spray this on.
    Its used to make make up last and last under hot lights and water shootsetc perhaps it can outlast the tough mudder??
    http://www.mehron.com/Barrier_Spray_p/145.htm

Might save you having to buy a zillion foundations/products
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Put on make up and then go swimming or take a bath and submerge your face or stand in the shower, if it stays you're okay if not it won't last. I was a swimmer, I have yet to meet a makeup that can last through sustained exposure to water. You can try several, but you'd do better to just accept yourself as you are.

the first thing you do in the tough mudder is the arctic enima, you can't do the obstacle without submerging your face. That's not to mention all the possible face plants you may do along the way and the mud splatter you'll want to wipe off, we had to jump off a high dive platform into a pond, no way to keep your face dry there, and then there are the water hazzards . . . lose your balance fall in the drink. Mine it rained the whole time, it would have just run off anyway. The Warrior Dash was a walk in the park as compared to the Tough Mudder obstacles, with a fraction of the water.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Would a tinted sunscreen work, if it were waterproof?
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    I'm not trying to be one of those people you referenced, but I have done the TM and I HONESTLY doubt that ANYTHING will stay on. My best advice would be to have your friends/family carry some foundation for post pics for you. Between being in and out of the water MANY times, plus the mud, and running through the fire - you would have to have a mask rather than foundation. That being said, we did wear the Ninja Masks by Underarmor for some parts of the TM to protect our faces. That could help with during the event pics!
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Not making a joke... in a worst case scenario, if you're that terrified, you could wear a training gas mask (to simulate exercising at a higher elevation).
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Instead of suggesting a different foundation, I'd like to ask if you use a setting spray?
    Setting sprays make the serious difference in the staying power. I personally use Urban Decay's De-Slick (I have oily skin), but I've used All Nighter which was great as well. Choose based on your skin type. That stuff is incredible.
  • JanieJack
    Thanks for the ideas. It sounds like a dumb thing, and maybe I'll be so dirty I won't care. But it really bothered me how often in the Warrior Dash we got "cleaned off" through water obstacles and you could see the scarring.

If nothing works then nothing works and I just have to accept that.

Kinda like having to accept that even after years of watching my weight and running countless races I still can't (and probably never will) fit in the women's finisher gear.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Maybe see if you can find stage makeup, it's supposed to be "waterproof" (I wear Max Factor foundation when I'm performing, it holds up to the sweat pretty well)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    You will be so muddy that hopefully your scars, etc. won't be all that visible. Makeup is wonderful and I wear it a lot and in some situations where it's probably not the most effective (such as the gym), but when it comes to something hardcore like Tough Mudder, I say fruck anyone that would look at you side-eyed and forget any self consciousness you may be concerned about, because if you're kicking that kind of *kitten*, you are beautiful no matter what.
  • SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Try the Colortration foundation that you can order from the same website as the Barrier Spray. Use them together. This is what synchronized swimmers use.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    because if you're kicking that kind of *kitten*, you are beautiful no matter what.
    This absolutely bears repeating...again and again
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    <-- pro makeup artist.

For scarring, I always use Cover FX on my clients.
    It is a 3 step process, but it does the job. It is used in film & television, and on many of the A-list celebrities to cover scars & tats.

The clients I have prepped with Cover FX needed scars, and or tattoos, and or heavy bruising, from recent accidents or plastic surgery covered up, and the ones who were in the water include synchronized swimmers, chefs (constant steam), and models for a swim shoot. Also pro-team cheerleaders - they seriously sweat while they work and cannot have their faces melt off to reveal acne scars, little star neck tattoos, etc.

Steps include: primer, foundation/concealer, then setting powder. Bring the setting powder with you for a touch up after all is said and done, you've cleaned the mud part up, ^_^, if you want to go out afterwards and still look awesome.
    You have to use the primer first, or the stuff just feels like wax. With the primer, it glides on. Covers very well, and is buildable, meaning you can put layer over layer until you are satisfied. Then set with a little of the powder.

You can either purchase an introductory size starter kit from Sephora, with small sizes of all the products - or *just ask* and they will give you enough in samples of all 3 steps to make sure this is what you want before buying into this product. They will also show you how to use it in store, so you can see how to apply the product your self - then take samples, for your event.

http://www.coverfx.com/US/New-Total-Cover-Cream-Foundation-SPF-30-P1C2.aspx

http://www.sephora.com/cover-fx

Honestly, this one is the best, but if you want to try a second option, you can use the Cover FX concealer and then apply Waterproof Make Up Forever Liquid Face & Body over it.

http://www.sephora.com/face-body-liquid-makeup-P12635?skuId=468983
  • Just don't do the ridonkulous exaggerated eyebrow thing. It freaks me out. It freaks me right the hell out.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Just don't do the ridonkulous exaggerated eyebrow thing. It freaks me out. It freaks me right the hell out.

Yes
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    First, I kindly ask all you “People who wear makeup while exercising are stupid” types to skip this message. I don’t need your criticism.

Now…

I am training for a Tough Mudder next month. I have a heavily scarred face so I like to wear makeup when I race. I’ve used MAC Studio Fix during my 4-6 half/full marathons each year and except for one really, really hot race my makeup generally survives the race (and my pictures look as good as they possibly can after 20+ miles).

My MAC didn’t survive the mud from the Warrior Dash, though, and my scarring is obvious in my pictures. I know some of you are saying “who cares” but guess what… I do.

So does anyone have suggestions on a foundation I can use? I’ll try different ones during my training runs in the coming weeks.
    Oh hell girl.
    Embrace the scars.
    have fn with them.
    Enhance them for the race if possible.
    And then, spot the noob.
    Wait for him or her to stare and tell him, "I got these from the last race. Hopefully they turned the voltage down a little bit"
    And walk away.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    <-- pro makeup artist.

For scarring, I always use Cover FX on my clients.
    It is a 3 step process, but it does the job. It is used in film & television, and on many of the A-list celebrities to cover scars & tats.

The clients I have prepped with Cover FX needed scars, and or tattoos, and or heavy bruising, from recent accidents or plastic surgery covered up, and the ones who were in the water include synchronized swimmers, chefs (constant steam), and models for a swim shoot. Also pro-team cheerleaders - they seriously sweat while they work and cannot have their faces melt off to reveal acne scars, little star neck tattoos, etc.

Steps include: primer, foundation/concealer, then setting powder. Bring the setting powder with you for a touch up after all is said and done, you've cleaned the mud part up, ^_^, if you want to go out afterwards and still look awesome.
    You have to use the primer first, or the stuff just feels like wax. With the primer, it glides on. Covers very well, and is buildable, meaning you can put layer over layer until you are satisfied. Then set with a little of the powder.

You can either purchase an introductory size starter kit from Sephora, with small sizes of all the products - or *just ask* and they will give you enough in samples of all 3 steps to make sure this is what you want before buying into this product. They will also show you how to use it in store, so you can see how to apply the product your self - then take samples, for your event.

http://www.coverfx.com/US/New-Total-Cover-Cream-Foundation-SPF-30-P1C2.aspx

http://www.sephora.com/cover-fx

Honestly, this one is the best, but if you want to try a second option, you can use the Cover FX concealer and then apply Waterproof Make Up Forever Liquid Face & Body over it.

http://www.sephora.com/face-body-liquid-makeup-P12635?skuId=468983
    Wow! Thanks for the expert tips!
    :smile: