Makeup for Tough Mudder

Options

Replies

• Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    <-- pro makeup artist.

For scarring, I always use Cover FX on my clients.
    It is a 3 step process, but it does the job. It is used in film & television, and on many of the A-list celebrities to cover scars & tats.

The clients I have prepped with Cover FX needed scars, and or tattoos, and or heavy bruising, from recent accidents or plastic surgery covered up, and the ones who were in the water include synchronized swimmers, chefs (constant steam), and models for a swim shoot. Also pro-team cheerleaders - they seriously sweat while they work and cannot have their faces melt off to reveal acne scars, little star neck tattoos, etc.

Steps include: primer, foundation/concealer, then setting powder. Bring the setting powder with you for a touch up after all is said and done, you've cleaned the mud part up, ^_^, if you want to go out afterwards and still look awesome.
    You have to use the primer first, or the stuff just feels like wax. With the primer, it glides on. Covers very well, and is buildable, meaning you can put layer over layer until you are satisfied. Then set with a little of the powder.

You can either purchase an introductory size starter kit from Sephora, with small sizes of all the products - or *just ask* and they will give you enough in samples of all 3 steps to make sure this is what you want before buying into this product. They will also show you how to use it in store, so you can see how to apply the product your self - then take samples, for your event.

http://www.coverfx.com/US/New-Total-Cover-Cream-Foundation-SPF-30-P1C2.aspx

http://www.sephora.com/cover-fx

Honestly, this one is the best, but if you want to try a second option, you can use the Cover FX concealer and then apply Waterproof Make Up Forever Liquid Face & Body over it.

http://www.sephora.com/face-body-liquid-makeup-P12635?skuId=468983

I am saving this! ♥

.... I wonder if using a makeup setting spray like Urban Decay All Nighter would help? I'm guessing all the mud acts like a mud mask and rubs your makeup off... Mehron is theater makeup, I've used their colored powder makeup (wet & apply) for character roles and it was really hard to remove. (silver metallic)
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    First, I kindly ask all you “People who wear makeup while exercising are stupid” types to skip this message. I don’t need your criticism.

Now…

I am training for a Tough Mudder next month. I have a heavily scarred face so I like to wear makeup when I race. I’ve used MAC Studio Fix during my 4-6 half/full marathons each year and except for one really, really hot race my makeup generally survives the race (and my pictures look as good as they possibly can after 20+ miles).

My MAC didn’t survive the mud from the Warrior Dash, though, and my scarring is obvious in my pictures. I know some of you are saying “who cares” but guess what… I do.

So does anyone have suggestions on a foundation I can use? I’ll try different ones during my training runs in the coming weeks.
    Oh hell girl.
    Embrace the scars.
    have fn with them.
    Enhance them for the race if possible.
    And then, spot the noob.
    Wait for him or her to stare and tell him, "I got these from the last race. Hopefully they turned the voltage down a little bit"
    And walk away.

fricking awesome response!

Good luck in finding something you feel comfortable with. I did an event similar to a tough mudder and have to say that the mud was ridiculous on my face! whatever you do though...Have fun!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Maybe Google what synchronized swimmers use for makeup.
  • Aviation21
    Aviation21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    <---- Take a look, I was so covered with mud (not to mention all the places I found mud!) I would be surprised if you found something... but good luck!

You will love the TM either way, I like to advice about doing a little cleanup for the post pictures.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My hubby and three friends did Tough Mudder in October and I spectated. I will attest that at the end of the race, their faces and upper bodies were covered in mud, so bad that I couldn't even see his tattoos on his biceps. One female friend did it as well and I'm sure she wore makeup but I'm not sure what kind. There is a Mud Mile obstacle that was #18, before Electroshock Therapy and Everest (which is usually the last) and that's where they got the most dirty with no opportunity for a rinse-off. I would suggest trying different products and picking which is best, but in the end not to fret because there's a 90% chance you'll have mud on your face and your scarring won't be as noticeable as you think. Also I ditto what someone else suggested - having your family/friends hold on to something for you and touching up before pictures. Best of luck to you! :-)
  • CrisAlex
    CrisAlex Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have to say that you do look pretty in your picture but as for makeup, what about primer and CoverFx? Have fun at your race!
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    because if you're kicking that kind of *kitten*, you are beautiful no matter what.
    This absolutely bears repeating...again and again
    Um, totally. I hope someday I can kick that kind of *kitten*.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Makeup primer will help a lot. I use it to hide a scar on my chest that I don't like to show. It lasts all day too.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I have acne scars too, I can not find a foundation I like. Either they only last like 4 hours or its to heavy and shows all my pores and fine lines. :( Does anyone else have to reappy foundation throughout the day?
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I'm REALLY excited for tihs race.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I absolutely understand..... and have two thoughts. :)

1. I have used Cover-FX and loved it. My acne got really bad when I was pregnant and it was the only thing that lasted through the day (and high humidity). If you go with makeup, that's definitely one to check out.

2. Go bad *kitten*....
    a. Camo your face up GI Jane style
    b. Use a black stick to make some markings on your face. You're going to put your bib number on your forehead anyway, you can also add stripes under your eyes. You'll be good. :)
    c. Slap some mud on your face pre-run for luck. Have fun with your teammates and just roll in it....
  • JanieJack
    Options
    b. Use a black stick to make some markings on your face. You're going to put your bib number on your forehead anyway, you can also add stripes under your eyes. You'll be good. :)
    c. Slap some mud on your face pre-run for luck. Have fun with your teammates and just roll in it....

Wow! Great idea!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options

Wow! Great idea!

:smile: I'm getting ready for my first as well, but have friends with season passes this year. I've been having too much fun looking at all of their pics!! There is so much fun with this event that anything goes! Enjoy!!
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry sweetie I know what it's like to have scars you can't hide. I suggest seriously looking into laser corrective surgery becuase there is really no way to touch up makeup on races like that. Luckily MAC stands up to marathons haha but since it's that big a deal save your money in order to do a resurfacing/ peel, it will do wonders for your esteem.
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Garnier BB Cream - Great **** give that a whack
  • JanieJack
    Options
    In case anyone ever finds this thread seeking advice, here's what I did:

1. I couldn't find CoverFX or dermablend in my shade in the timeframe I needed (didn't want to spend the money online w/o trying it first).

2. I ended up using Revlon Colorstay. I tried it because I had used it when my son was an infant, and I knew they had a color that perfectly matched me right out of the bottle. We did have to go underwater a couple times, but it wasn't for very long. My teammates commented that there was much less underwater during this Mudder than in last years. Coverage wasn't flawless, but it held up much longer than I expected. At the port-a-potties at mile 4 or 5, I noticed that not only did I still have most of my foundation but also some lipsgloss, even though I'd been underwater several times.

3. By time we did electroshock therapy (the last obstacle) most of the mud had been washed of of our skin, so we all looked clear-faced. Fortunately, in our "after" pictures you really couldn't see the scarring unless you knew what you were looking for. Once I get the "official" hi-res photos we'll know for sure, but as of right now I'm really pleased with the result.

I'm still going to seek out and try the products you guys recommended because my friends talked me into the savage race in April. And we might do another Mudder too.

Thanks again!!
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    congrats on your Tough Mudder! And I am glad to hear all went well with the cover up also.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Go roll around in the mud a little bit before getting your picture snapped ;)
  • ChelseaDagger7
    ChelseaDagger7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was also pretty worried about makeup during the Tough Mudder and found this thread previously. Some very good points here about accepting yourself as you are and all that - we all know it's true - but like the OP I also don't feel comfortable without makeup on so that's that.

Did my first Tough Mudder yesterday (woop!) and thought I'd share what worked for me. I considered getting Cover FX but eventually decided I didn't want to spend that much money on a foundation I'd never tried before so pretty much stuck to my existing products:
    • moisturiser
    • L'Oreal Infallible Mattifying Base Primer
    • Estee Lauder Double Wear Light Foundation - I use this foundation normally but for TM I waited for it to dry and then applied a second layer of it; it's almost as expensive as cover FX but I'm used to it and know it lasts forever
    • L'Oreal Minerals True Match Powder - I usually touch this up during the day as I have quite oily skin, but found that was unnecessary due to the water obstacles and the setting spray
    • Urban Decay De-Slick Makeup Setting Spray - the only item I bought specifically for TM and I'm certain it made a huge difference in how long this lasted
    • MaxFactor False Lash Effect Waterproof Mascara - it's pretty much impossible to remove this for several days

I genuinely think the setting spray made the biggest difference - I've used it outside of TM now (work, nights out) and it really does help. For TM, a combination of the above made sure that my makeup was virtually perfect after the run. I got ready at 10 am and it was perfectly fine after we finished the run at 4pm which I really wasn't expecting. Overall, I think most people will probably be fine with whatever makeup works for them, although I'm now definitely converted to the miracles of setting sprays!

The water obstacles didn't seem to impact my makeup at all and I was then just worried about the mud because there's really no escaping the splatter. My best advice for mud is to just resist the urge to remove it straight away because your hands will be even worse. Wait until the mud has dried on your fingers and on your face and then you can just kind of crumble it away, this didn't seem to affect my makeup at all :smile:

Hope this information might help someone with the same concerns about running TM - whichever way you do it in the end, it's an amazing run and I'm sure you'll all have a great time!
  • TabithaCheesecake
    TabithaCheesecake Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned Estée Lauder Double Wear Maximum Cover, it's specifically for scarred skin, birth marks, roseacea, covering tattoos etc. It's a camouflage makeup. I would also recommend urban decay setting spray.

I will repeat others sentiment that you don't need anything. Slap some extra mud on your beautiful ace and have fun, however I know too well how skin insecurities can effect the mood.

Good luck.