Diet Coke?

Options
13»

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Well I used to drink 6 or more per day and I've lost 60-70 pounds every 2-5 years since I was in high school (re-gained). However, I do feel like my cravings for sugary foods have gone way down since I gave it up, I get sick less, and I sleep better. I can't necessarily track it to the Diet Coke, but the Diet Coke is the only major change I've made since any other time I've dieted. Why don't you just try going without it for a few weeks and see how you feel? I would say that it was easier to quit anything else I've been addicted to than Diet Coke (and believe me, I could be on a talk show). I dreamed about Diet Coke and it was the only thing I could think about. I guess if one is that addicted to a substance, they better kick it to the curb.

I would agree that it does not hinder weight loss specifically but I don't think it's good for overall health. I personally think a lot of my weight gain was by trying to fill myself up with substances that did not really nourish me (like Diet Coke) but can't say it hindered weight loss.

But again, I was a heavy "user."
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    I have no trouble with cravings when I drink diet soda, other than the craving to drink more diet soda. (OMG I love the stuff!)

So, I seriously restrict my consumption because I end up drinking so much that I don't drink water. I also end up drinking way too much caffeine throughout the day and then have trouble sleeping. So, I've cut down but frankly haven't noticed any impact at all on weight loss.

I think the physiological response to artificial sweeteners varies from person to person, just like medication side effects are often different between individuals.

Edit - Regular soda is revolting. I've never had to worry about fitting a regular soda into my calorie goal because, frankly, the soda company would have to pay me to drink that stuff.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation is my philosophy.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    So I've heard mixed reviews on drinking diet soda while trying to lose weight (and just in general). What are your thoughts, does this hinder weight loss?

everyone here thinks it will kill you..but i still drink diet soft drinks. for all i know, i might get hit by a bus tomorrow.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have 1-2 a day and lose just fine.

That said, I'm trying to eliminate it. At the very least, it's bad for teeth and I want to set a good example for my daughter.
  • Maggies90
    Maggies90 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to drink it all the time, I was even addicted at one point but i gave it up cold turkey and feel much better without it. AND when eating out having just water saves me lots!
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    This article might shed some light on it for you:
    http://news.menshealth.com/diet-soda-heart-disease/2012/02/08/
    lol this article sheds no light whatsoever lmao
  • kayla1125
    Options
    I drink one a day and that is in the morning and I have had no problems losing weight either. The rest of the day I drink water because drinking diet sodas is just as bad for you as a regular coke or that is what I have been told by various professionals. It does not make me hungrier.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of cans a day (they're free at work) and use it as a mixer if I'm having a voddie at the weekends, I seem to be losing fine, having said that I have no delusions that it isn't horrible toxic rubbish that will probably give me gut rot and isn't doing my teeth any favours either. I intend to stop drinking it when I start maintaining (maybe swap it for real fruit juice when I up my cals) but like you kind of use it as a sweet tooth freebie. :D
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

I practice moderation in moderation
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

I practice moderation in moderation

HA!!! :laugh: :drinker:
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    They aren't good for you. They do nothing positive for your body at all. You are better off drinking water. I was ADDICTED to Diet Coke. I drank 4 cans a day. I cut back to 2 when I started losing weight. Earlier this year, I cut it to just one in the morning, & then got down to none. I don't even miss it. If I can cut it out completely, anyone can! That is my opinion & recommendation.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    If you drink diet sodas with aspartame I suggest you read this recent study. Hubby was a heavy diet coke drinker and just a month ago was diagnosed with non-hodgkins lymphoma, not fun.

http://www.naturalnews.com/037772_aspartame_leukemia_lymphoma.html

excerpt:

"As few as one diet soda daily may increase the risk for leukemia in men and women, and for multiple myeloma and non-Hodgkin lymphoma in men, according to new results from the longest-ever running study on aspartame as a carcinogen in humans. Importantly, this is the most comprehensive, long-term study ever completed on this topic, so it holds more weight than other past studies which appeared to show no risk. And disturbingly, it may also open the door for further similar findings on other cancers in future studies.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/037772_aspartame_leukemia_lymphoma.html#ixzz2C90IeJWT"
  • MrsFrosty84
    MrsFrosty84 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'd rather drink a full fat drink and take the hit in calories than take in that much artificial sweetener.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i rarely drink soda but if im jonesing for one ill have a diet coke or diet pepsi with tons of ice .. its sooo good
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Soda tastes like garbage to me and they are not good for you in general. That said, everything in moderation.