For all your cyclists out there...

Options
I'm looking into starting to bike again. I had the idea of biking to my gym every day - it's about 2.9 miles each way - and I was wondering if that's too much too fast. I haven't biked in ages and I wasn't quite sure if this was good place or bad place to start. It'd be about 6 miles a day plus the weight training I do at the gym. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    when I first got my bike I was hesitant. So rather than give myself a destination, I just rode around my neighbourhood every day to get used it and gauge where my stamina was.

2.9 miles is not a lot, but if you do not pace yourself because you aren't aware of your current limits, you could end up feeling discouraged!
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea! I'd say just go ahead. The great thing about biking is that you can just slow down if it gets too hard. Just remember to stick to the lower gears until you've built up your biking muscles, so you don't strain your knees.
  • Mr_Stephenson
    Mr_Stephenson Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Even in hilly terrain 2.9 miles each way should not be too bad, I'd say go for it.

If you have any concerns why not take a relaxed ride to the gym on a rest day? Then you will know how the return journey will effect you.
  • thebutteredtoast
    Options
    Alright, awesome. :D Thank you for all of that. It's all flat (I live in Florida so there aren't any hills xD) and it'd be sideway/bike lane riding.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    2.9 miles one way with no hills = piece of pie even if you haven't ridden for a while. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to ride that distance.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    2.9 miles one way with no hills = piece of pie even if you haven't ridden for a while. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to ride that distance.

this. if you go at a decent pace, you can use it as your warm up.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Wear a helmet!
    And enjoy your ride. I just finished my first outside ride on my 3 wheel recumbent trike in over a year. Our city gravelled our neighborhood roads and I couldn't handle the rough road with my spine condition But last week they finally re-asphalted my road and the road behind us so I have a circle around the block I can ride! It felt awesome to be outside again!!