Jigglier skin but not losing weight

Options
Hi there~

I've been on here for several weeks now and loving it. The scale really hasn't moved even though I am eating a low glycemic diet and staying well within my calories for the day. Occasionally eating something that is not the greatest, but again staying within the parameters of eating. I have about 150lbs to lose and while my pants aren't fitting differently my skin seem more loose and jiggly? Wonder what anyone else's thoughts are on the issue. Thanks

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Yes, happened to me, TOTALLY freaked me out. I am weight training and seeing it change*.

Also, read this
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

*ie the overall appearance, ie my muskles are firming up, which makes everything on top of them look better.

What I mean is, as I was losing, the fat was kind of 'spongey', for lack of a better word. I'm over a year in maintenance now and in addition to the muscles firming, the fat and skin seem to have mostly pulled back together. This is after a 50 lb loss (but I'd lost an additional 20 pounds some years previously).
  • SStrauss79
    SStrauss79 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will read that article. I am working out everyday either doing Tabata, Zumba, an hour on the treadmill, or a mix of treadmill, rowing machine, leg press, and seated row. It's really weird to have the skin be so much looser but not having other results like weight loss. It has to be a good thing though...right? And I'm hoping one of these days the scale just really takes a nose dive. I am anxiously waiting to get out of the disgusting 300's and reveal this six pack that has to have formed from carrying around the massive amounts of weight that I have been carrying. :)
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    All the good things will happen with consistency and patience :)

Have you thought about incorporating some other weight training? I wish I'd done it from the beginning.

(Also - yup, the body changes are weird, but ignore them for now - better for you to focus on things you can control, and try to get something out of them - time/speed on the rower, amount pressed, learning new ways of eating - & making those things fun, in a way.)
  • SStrauss79
    Options
    What other kind of weight training would you suggest? I'm open...and new to all of this. Also, I drink about 100 oz or more of water per day but am finding I am no longer using the bathroom every 5 seconds...and still drink more. I am not diabetic and I am sure it is just because of the working out. Agree?
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    stick with it. It has only been a few weeks.

It takes most of us years or decades to get where we were/are, and it takes more than a month to get where we want to be. I know you probably know this, but you need to keep reminding yourself of this. Focus on the long game.

I think this is the source of a lot of failure in our society. We are so tuned in to instant gratification, instant results, must have it now, etc. I think we have to be really focused on realizing this is a permanent lifestyle change and not some get rick quick scheme.
  • supergirl03
    Options
    Im not really noticing "jigglier skin" but I am certainly getting frustrated with not losing weight! I exercise and stay well within my calorie intake but haven't lost more then 3 lbs in over 5 weeks! I feel like I am doing something wrong....any advice out there?
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    stay off the scale, get a tape measure! You may not see weight in lbs go.. but inches count to!
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    bump
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    What other kind of weight training would you suggest? I'm open...and new to all of this. Also, I drink about 100 oz or more of water per day but am finding I am no longer using the bathroom every 5 seconds...and still drink more. I am not diabetic and I am sure it is just because of the working out. Agree?

RE water - I don't have any kind of medical training so can't say from that angle, and I didn't monitor my water consumption. In retrospect, it's possible I used the loo more often, but I can't say :) I would think that ensuring your electrolytes, sodium, potassium etc are in balance would be important.

As for weight training, it's a relatively recent thing for me too - I hope an experienced lifter or trainer chimes in! Lots of people like NROLFW - sorry, the New Rules of Lifting for Women - http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women - which is a great introduction. It does involve a lot of dynamic and single leg movements, which could totally work for you if you've got good balance and coordination (which seems likely, if you're doing Tabatas and Zumba :)

If you think you might prefer simpler movements for now, I've heard good things about Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program (but haven't tried it myself).

http://www.amazon.com/Simplest-Effective-Training-Increase-Strength/dp/0557248299
    http://www.jimwendler.com/2011/09/531-for-a-beginner/

Also, this is a great thread, for further reference:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners?hl=large+collection+of+info+for+beginners

(and this is what i'm doing: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/anemoneprose/view/ok-this-is-what-i-m-doing-now-end-of-443692 )
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Just a couple observations --

One, take some measurements! I find inches off my waistline much more satisfying than pounds. Just do yourself a favor and don't measure more than once a week (or once every couple weeks). It takes time!

Two, just wait it out, I'm sure the weight drop will come. I tend to be steady for a couple weeks or a month, then drop (what is for me) a significant amount of weight all at once. Who knows, the same thing could happen to you

And three, you don't HAVE to incorporate weight training, but you'll probably like your body better as you lose weight if maintaining/gaining muscle is a part of your goals.
  • SStrauss79
    Options
    Thanks. People keep telling me that....I think I will settle down once I lose these 10 lbs to get me under the 300's. :)