Short ladies - how many calories do you take in a day?

Options
124»

Replies

• SHHitsKaty
    Options
    As all you women are proving, you gotta eat more than 1200 a day if you want to lose weight and aren't obese.

When I first started on here, mine was set to 1200 too. When I wasn't losing an ounce of weight and was starving every day, I realized something needed to change and upped it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    As all you women are proving, you gotta eat more than 1200 a day if you want to lose weight and aren't obese.

When I first started on here, mine was set to 1200 too. When I wasn't losing an ounce of weight and was starving every day, I realized something needed to change and upped it.

Or even if you *are* obese, if you want to lose weight and maintain LBM while adjusting your body to maintenance calories at goal weight.....

or if you wanna lift weights....

or if you don't want to have to be *super* careful with every calorie and *never* eat desserts....

1200 is bare minimum!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add, while I end up eating an average of around 1300 calories per day.. I had been struggling with being so strict about the exact calories I was eating every day, so instead of trying to stick to the same exact number every day, I started varying my calories instead. Some days I just wasn't hungry enough to eat the number of calories my goal was set to, other days, I was hungrier.
    So rather than feeling like I was starving myself on those days, or eating too much, I started varying the calories.
    So yes, maybe one day a week I eat around 1000 calories if I'm just not hungry, another day I eat 1500 calories, another day is 1300 calories, etc. At the end of the week, there is still a deficit in calories and I still lose weight.

This has proven to be the best method for me - I no longer hit plateaus and I no longer feel too hungry or too full. Plus, I can adjust it for days that I'm going to eat out, etc. It is impossible to eat the same number of calories every single day - because this is life - and it changes on a daily basis - so for me - my calories should change too.
  • nannabannana
    Options
    Ok here it goes...I am 5' 21/2 or 5'2". Some Drs say I have shrunk others say i have gained to 5' 3"...?
    I lost weight eating 1120-1250 plus exercise.
    I n maintenance my calorie goal is set at 1440. I eat my exercise calories back, some days I struggled to eat that much but that is the truth.

Hope this helps someone to understand as I have just found out a great friend of mine was almost identical to mine:) clover5..
    Remarkable story of us both because I always thought she worked harder than me....I was keeping 2 infants for all that ime . I had a great grandson who is 14 mos old now and his Aunt who is 19 mos old now. I just quit keeping them bec of 4 hospital stays that had nothing to do with them or me intentionally. I think I was burning a lot more than I realized by just doing cardio , like dancing etc before I started walking with a treadmill, then got the fitbit for steps. I joined gym 3 mos ago and my greatest passion is Strength trainingnow. I LOVE CARDIO < STRENGTH TRAINING< FITBIT AND ALMOST ANYTHING IS ACCEPTABLE. I am seriously thinnking of startingKARATE...Do not know if I could fo it with this replacement kneee I have had since 2004, but I will say after being in the hospital 4 times in one month, last mo to be accurate, I no longer keep my sugar babies because of hospital stays ad I have Glaucoma and they are seriously concerned about my colon.

I know this is rambling but I am from the deep south and my mouth is my biggest asset.....heh
    My undying love for ESUS CHRIST is what keeps me going. Oh yes I am 66 yrs young and the DRS all have confirmed I AM FIT AND HEALTHY so do not wait until you are 65 to start this MFP program...But if you do remember if this white haired ole southern lady in Ga can lose 45 lbs and go to a size 6 petite with MUSCLES now, just dare me to quit because I WILL NEVER QUIT LIVING at least unless they kill me doinng GLAUCOMA surgery sometime in the near future.

The greatest compliment I have had is WHAT YOU LOST 45 LBS AND YOU DO WHAT???? STRENGTH TRAINING ...yes ma'm at my gym these young lassies say I put them so shame ...lol how funny is that:)

edit: AGE 66
    Height ?
    CW 135 lost5 lbs moe tan igured at goal STRENGTH TRAINING made muscles in kieu of fat
    SW 179
    Cals currently also 1440 if I exercise

JOB RETIRED AND JUST GOT OUT OF hospital 4th time in one month.
  • Chikipiwi
    Chikipiwi Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Height: 4' 11"
    SW: 118
    CW: 105.00
    Losing weight Cals: 1200 + Exercise
    Maintenance Cals: 1300+ Exercise (Currently experimenting with maintenance)
    Desk job

We shorties can't eat a lot but if you make good choices you shouldnt be hungry at 1200. My diary is open take a look if you want.
  • little_bee
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and usually stick around 1200 calories a day. I work out 5 days a week, and on those days I go up to about 1500 calories, but on rest days I try to limit myself. This isn't me starving myself - I feel 'in tune' with my body and if I'm hungry, I eat extra. For me, calories are less important that making good choices.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    im 5 ft 0 and eat 1200 cals
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    5'3, desk job, 1425 calories per day, and I eat back my exercise calories.

*losing about 1.5 - 2lbs a week.

*macros: carbs 25%, protein, 40% and fat 35%
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    5'3 ( i dont think 5'3 is short but everyone tells me it is -.-)...

maintain 2100

build 2500

cut 1900-1500

OH yea ugh i work out 6 times a week most the time if not 5... and only do cardio prob 5 months out of the whole year lol.. hate cardio ... weights are a lot more fun..
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", workout moderately 5-6 days a week, and eat 1800 calories every day, even on days I don't workout. I also have a desk job. I'm losing weight.

1200... tried it for years. Doesn't work in the long term.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 2 and currently 138.5lbs.
    I was calorie counting and trying to aim between 1200-1400 a day but I struggled so I've now given it up and I'm a member of slimmingworld, I've lost 3lbs in 2 weeks so I'm pleased and I'm eating a lot better too xxx
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and workout nearly everyday. I'm averaging about 1500 calories- somedays more, somedays less.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I am 31, have a desk job and I am between 5'2"-5'4" (depends on whose measuring)....

I take in 1600 calories a day on my non-workout days. My BMR is 1300- so I know I need to at least stay at or above that. 1600 is 20% less than what my TDEE is, and I set my activity level on moderate (yes, even with my desk job). I exercise 4-6 times a week, and when I am not at my desk I am running around doing chores and what not.

It seems to work for me :) I love that I can eat more and still lose.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    5' 2' eating 10% below TDEE which ends up anywhere from 1450-1950 per day depending on how much exercise I get. 1200 is not fun, not really healthy for most people and can lead to yo yo dieting. I tried it for months and never doing that again!
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" also, 151 lbs with a desk job and I eat 1300 calories PLUS my exercise calories. I just re-started MFP with a new strategy 3 weeks ago and it looks like it's working for me.(5 lbs of 25 lbs in 3 weeks) Here is some of my tips:

- I use a HRM for cardio because exercise calculators seem to be inaccurate. If I forget my HRM and need to use the calculator I only eat 1/2 the calories because I don't trust it
    - I bought a food scale. I measure everything... it's amazing how bad I was at estimating things before. I'm teaching myself to estimate portions (I won't always have a food scale by my side)
    - Water, water, water. (1 oz per 1 min of cardio on top of my daily water intake)
    - lean protein and complex carb with every meal

Feel free to add me and make sure you to introduce yourself!
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Don't go off of me. I walk all day. Litterly, that is my job. I'm a janitor...

However, at the moment I can have a 1790 cailories a day. More if I go to the gym.

I am five foot one. At the momet I am 198.

Edit: I am 28
  • andiied
    andiied Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and at 1240 per day. For me, it's all about how I use the calories. For example, you can eat a ton of broccoli for 50 calories, but how many chips can you eat? I'm trying to use those calories in a way that benefits me, where possible. Now, I also enjoy life and have mexican food and birthday cake, etc. You can exercise and "earn" more calories to eat for days like that.

I think the same way. I am 4'11'' which makes me shorter than the average short person. I am struggling to make it to the gym right now and my life style is mostly sedentary. My calorie limit is 1330. However on most days I eat on average between 1000 -1200. I try to choose foods that are filling and have a lot of nutrients as well, like vegetables, vegetable stews, oatmeal etc.
  • EvaMRein
    EvaMRein Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" with a desk job 8 - 9 hours a day and maintain a 1200 cal a day diet. Plus I Play the Just Dance 1, 2, 3 & 4 games on the Wii 3 or 4 times a week. It's working for me.
    With the holidays coming up, rather than skip foods, I'll have them but in small portions. I'm told to not walk away from the things you really want because deprivation is bad.
    Also, don't forget to get your protiens in and don't over do it on fats and carbs. That's my plan! :tongue: