Replies

• JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Is it weird that I HATE fresh asparagus but LOVE the canned stuff? :tongue:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Get out the aluminum foil when you are using the barbecue (grill for some of you)

Clean the asparagus and cut of fthe tough ends. Put it on the foil, a touch of olive oil, salt & pepper and wrap it up into a package.

5 minutes on the bbq and you have an awesome side
  • CareBearRN
    CareBearRN Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Grilled!
  • deb201
    deb201 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here's a great recipe that I figured out to be 225 calories per 1 cup serving. Even my kids eat it!
    1 box Bow Tie macaroni
    1 lb asparagus, chopped into 1 inch pieces
    1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
    2 TBSP Olivio spread (or use butter or margarine)
    Salt and Pepper

Cook the bow ties according to the package, and during the last 3 minutes, throw the asparagus into the pot and cook it with the macaroni. Drain and return to the pot. Add the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, butter, salt and pepper - toss it all together until the butter melts. Delicious!
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your tips. I will try out a bunch of these recipes in the next few weeks. :smile:
  • jimmilo
    jimmilo Posts: 2
    Options
    Grill it! Sprinkle a little of your favorite seasoning on them and put them on the barbecue. I like to season them with Gorilla Garlic. It kicks it up a notch.
  • schubele
    schubele Posts: 20
    Options
    I love to marinate it in soy sauce, olive oil, worsteshire sauce, and salt and pepper then grill it. Its awesome that way
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is excellent in risotto, along with other vegetables and maybe scallops or something. I haven't cooked that for years, but I love it!
  • michellejayne
    Options
    bump
  • dsjolley
    dsjolley Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well, first, I love asparagus, so perhaps I'm biased, but here's a suggestion. DON'T BOIL IT - it is a common way to cook it, but is the worst possible way to cook it. If you want it cooked completely, it's hard to beat roasting it. lay it on a non-stick cookie sheet, brush them with olive oil, sprinkle with a little sea salt or kosher salt and cook at 500 degrees for 12-16 minutes, depending on thickness. If you throw other veggies on the pan with it (squash, carrots, etc) it is outstanding.

If you want it for inclusion in a salad, I recommend a quick blanche.

Try it - it's really good!
  • princessfiona
    princessfiona Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I usually sautee it with a little bit of olive oil or butter and garlic; this weekend I found a new recipe and made it for company -- it was really good!

Thaw boneless skinless chicken breasts (as many as you need), and pound them flat between 2 sheets of wax paper.
    Spread each breast with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese (35 cal each!)
    Top cheese with spinach leaves
    Place 3-4 asparagus spears in the middle, roll up and secure with a skewer or toothpicks.
    Bake at 375F in a casserole dish (spray with non-stick spray) for 30 minutes or so, until juices run clear.
    (I also sprinkled some Mrs. Dash, pepper, and paprika on top before baking).

Enjoy!
  • Brianne82
    Options
    Roasted in the oven with some olive oil and balsamic vingerette drizzled on after it's done is my fav way too! I also like to sprinkle a little sea salt on it before serving....mmmmm
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Actually, take one of the stalks, bend it naturally, and when it breaks, throw the bottom piece away. Put it back with the rest of the bunch, then cut the same amount off of the rest of the bunch and discard those same pieces. Then, put the asparagus on a non stick cookie sheet, drizzle some olive oil over it and use your hands to toss it so all pieces are covered with the olive oil. Spread it so all pieces are laying flat on the cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put the cookie sheet in a preheated 400 degree oven and cook for 9-10 minutes. I eat it just like this as some of the natural sweetness comes out. I live in an asparagus hating family, except me, and cooking it this way converted one of my daughters. I cook brocolli this way too but it needs to stay in a few minutes longer. Actually pretty much any vegetable can be cooked this way but just adjust the time of cooking depending on the vegetable. (I cook tomatoes this way, with heads of garlic, before I make my home made tomato soup.)
  • jojordan
    jojordan Posts: 8
    Options
    A good question is: What about asparagus is the problem? Do you not like the taste? texture? smell? All of which could be attacked from different angles. You could mask the vegetable by cutting it up with similar ingredients and incorporate into a sauce or salad. You could try different degrees of "done-ness." Personally, I like to wrap a few sprigs in a moist paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes tops (I do the same thing with a fresh ear of corn THE BEST, I want one now!). I used to dip into ranch dressing or hollandaise sauce, but i love the crunch in sushi rolls, too. You could also puree the asparagus into, say, tomato sauce or something similar if you are just determined to eat some. I have found, though, that the best way to change your view of a food is to make sure it is prepared right, and ease your way into the "situation."