Japanese Hibachi Grill?

Options
So Simon; the trainer I have started working out with is the one who got me started on MyFitnessPal.com. I like tracking what I eat but didn't realize how much my husband and I eat out; socially.

So I'm trying to get better during the week (cooking etc). but this weekend we have friends in town and everyone else wants to go to a Hibachi grill for lunch (who does that....a little heavy right?) Oh well. Anyways I was wondering if anyone had any tips. I was thinking a lunch portion filet with steamed rice and veggies....but I'm open to suggestions.

The other thing is they are coming over for dinner so I was going to make homeade lasagna...but between those two meals I'm done and well over my calories for the day, forget a glass of wine or a snack or anything...

I'm trying to plan the day so I can be social and still make a dinner at home everyone will want to eat (they aren't exactly health nuts).

What do you all think?

Replies

• hollyheckman
    Options
    I'd do the filet or shrimp with just veggies. Skip the rice. There will be plenty of carbs in the lasagna. Enjoy your time with your friends and try not to beat yourself up if you go over.
  • RandySears
    Options
    Yeah going over one day isn't going to kill you. It's a "special" occasion so try to enjoy yourself as much as possible w/o worrying too much about your calorie goal. Just work a bit harder for a couple of days in exercise and you'll feel much better about it. :-) Have fun with your friends and enjoy it! Don't let it get to you too much!
  • EmilyStrick
    EmilyStrick Posts: 267
    Options
    at the grill, i would do only meat (i would get shrimp) and veggies...or something vegetarian all together...and skip the rice. make the lasagna, and then make a salad to go along with it, and have a very small portion of lasagna and a huge portion of salad! and stay away from garlic bread!!!

on a side note...i have a hard time on weekends because we're always going to events and hanging out with friends. so...i allow myself to eat up to my maintenance calories and try to exercise a bit more to earn even more calories. this works very well for me and hasn't slowed my weight loss efforts at all...even if it does cause a lot of bloating and other gastronomic problems!!!:laugh:
  • lchisum
    lchisum Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Everyone is right! The rice needs to be avoided. I meet my girls at a local Hibachi grill for lunch quite frequently & do fine getting the Hibachi shrimp with vegetables. The best thing to remember however, is that when you plan to splurge (and its definately ok to have special meals for special occasions) be equally as responsible with planning or exercise. Remember, you earn extra calories when you exercise...so if you are planning on eating extra calories, plan on spending them with increased exercise! You won't have to feel guilty about enjoying yourself! :drinker: :drinker:
  • veronicalynagh
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments. I do need to stop letting the weekend get me down; I think I'll try your advice about doing maintenance on the weekend and do losing calories all week so that I'm not binging on the weekends or beating myself up.