Weight gain not stopping! (even on 1200cals)

Options
Hi there!
I need some help. For the past 1 1/2 years i've been restricting my calories and have lost a lot of weight. In February last year I weighed 150lb at 5'4 - I felt horrible and ugly. I never used to weigh myself, one day i decided to see what i was, when i saw the number i went on a crash diet (eating 0-200 calories initially) I lost a ton weight but slowly increased my calories (first to 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200) by the time i was maintaining 1200 I weighed 95lb. I was obsessed with weighing EVERYTHING i ate - even my carbs/fats/proteins would have exact ratios everyday. In july this year i stopped weighing things (both myself and my food) and starting being flexable by having different things everyday and eating at different times instead of eating at exactly 12:00pm etc every day. Even though i was averaging about 1200-1300 calories i put on weight like crazy - in june i weighed 95 lbs now i weight 114lb (or more, i'm too afraid to weigh myself - my clothes are tighter than what they were at 114 and my 95lb clothes don't zip up/come above my knee) After reading posts about metabolism and bodies holding on to fat when they are starving I decided that although I have been gaining on 1200 + 45minutes jogging daily (and even 800-1000 cals when i tried restricting) I would try to increase my calories to speed up my metabolism so i have been eating 1500-2000 for the past week (a week ago i was 114 and i know that since then i must have put on a ton of weight because the jeans that fitted me a week ago are painfully tight with fat spilling over the top :(.. The ironic thing is is that i have been working out much more than when i was maintaining 95lb at 1200 to try to work of the pinchable flab all over my body but it does nothing!! i'm getting bigger everyday :( I'm not a big person, my mother and i have always had similar figures - she is 5'4 and 115lb - which i used to be too before i gained up to 150 :( I don't know what to do, i have so much soft flabby bits and i don't want to keep gaining untill i get to 150lb - i've already lost confidence and have to wear sweat pants and long dresses because none of my fitted clothes fit me. :( i just want to lie in bed and cry all the time. I feel helpless and hopeless, like this will never stop untill i become overweight.

How much longer will i keep gaining weight? I really need some peace of mind because i feel flabby and terrible :( HELP ME!!

Replies

• zgochenour
    zgochenour Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you are gaining weight, you're eating too many calories compared to what you're expending. You will never lose weight, or stop gaining, by eating more calories and doing nothing else.

You should skip the jogging and instead start a strength training regimen. Squats, deadlifts, and presses. Eating filling, nutritious, whole foods. Continue counting your calories and be even more careful than ever about measurements. If you're gaining fat, either up your exercise or lower your calories or both. There is no magic number, and everyone's metabolism is different.
  • dianita01
    dianita01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but this sounds like you MIGHT have a thyroid problem. Make an appointment as soon as you can and ask for a blood test. I hope you find out what's wrong- because it does seem like it's a health issue and you should look into it before it gets out of control. You shouldn't be gaining on a 1200 calorie diet, especially if you're exercising.

Also, the weight that you're at right now IS healthy. I don't think you need to lose at all, but if you feel like something is wrong and your body isn't responding like it usually is than you do need to have that checked out.

Best of luck to you, and I hope everything turns out okay.
  • first of all trust me crash dieting never helps it makes you weaker. And secondly are you sure you dont binge since you work out so much? If not see a dietitian.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'4. The minimum healthy weight for this height is 114 pounds. If you weigh less than this, you are underweight. Your body is putting on weight because you are eating a low but at least reasonable amount of food. If you weigh less than this, you are not going to be providing your body enough nutrients and are at risk for a bunch of health problems - google it.

I will not encourage you to lose weight. You should weight AT LEAST 114 pounds. If you have fat/flab, start lifting some weights and put on some muscle. I am the same height as you and weigh about 130. I don't have "jiggly" parts because I am in the gym 7x a week doing both cardio and strength training. I am not fat, I am fit and healthy, and might I add sexy as hell. Now you may want to be "skinnier" than me, and that's fine, but if you are pushing for under 114, you have an eating disorder. Calling it like I see it. I would encourage you to talk to someone who can help you not with your weight, but with your body image.
  • Rachielous
    Rachielous Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am not a dietician and therefore cannot give you a 'medical' answer' however it looks as if your body is saying 'wahay! She is eating again! Lets hold on to everything we can get incase she suddenly stops'.

Firstly, make yourself an appointment with a doctor, explain your concerns, it is there job to help you.

MFP tells us (as does every other site) that the body needs a minimum of 1200 calories a day to function (this is if you do NO exercise - you will need to eat more if you do). I recommend you do not eat less than that otherwaise your body will get into a vicious cycle of losing a whole bunch of weight when you starve yourself and then gaining a whole bunch when you eat more to compensate for the lack of nutrients ect.

I am 5"4 and currently weigh 150lb's - I started off at 171. I want to get down to 133lb's - this will bring me to comfortably healthy weight. I think you are aiming too low. Check this website out for a healthy weight chart - http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/healthy-living/Pages/height-weight-chart.aspx.

Anything under 8 stone (112lb's) for our height is considered under weight, anything over 10.5 stone (147lb's) is considered over weight.

Being underweight is just as bad, if not worse than being over weight.

Being underweight leads to all sorts of problems with your body - we NEED to be a certain weight to function the way we were made too.

Google TDEE - this will tell you how many calories your body needs to maintain your current weight - anything below that is a deficit and will therefore encourage weight loss.

I hope this helps, feel free to add me as a friend if you would like some encouragement x
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You lost muscle mass on your bad diet attempt. And slowed your metabolism down.

Now your metabolism is probably correct for the amount of muscle and Lean Body Mass you have currently. At least if you have been eating that amount and gaining about the same amount week after week. Probably the first few lbs gained was because the metabolism stayed suppressed before it increased slightly.

Eating more now isn't going to increase it, at least not what you are going to get now. The body only needs so many calories to perform basic metabolic functions.

So if you want to eat more now, you gotta exercise first, and then eat later to replenish glucose stores.

You now are in the interesting position of deciding how you want rest of your life to be, and what short term effects are you willing to deal with to get there.

If you want to keep eating at 800 calories for the rest of your life, knowing that eating an easy 250 more extra daily, you'll gain a lb of fat about every 2 weeks. Eat out a big amount could be about the same gain. It'll be easy to pack on the lbs now. Unless you do above and exercise first.

Or wrap your mind around the fact you need to gain some LBM and muscle mainly, and that means some potential weight gain, or at the least, no weight loss, even if inches are dropping.
    But then you can have a more normal metabolism, and be able to eat more, and if you go over your body will just burn the extra calories.

So what's it going to be?

The first is easy, go back to 800, log everything you eat so you always stay low. What a bummer of a life.

Or stop the cardio that is useless for building muscle, and lift weights as heavy as you can 3 x weekly for 60 min doing compound lifts. And eat at 1500. Only cardio is walking level on rest days at 3.5 mph for 60 min.

Use the spreadsheet linked in this topic to get an idea of current bodyfat%, and your stats to watch down the road, and follow the directions. Pick a realistic goal weight that is suggested, just in case you have an unrealistic view. Enter the above stated workout times in the right place, along with correct daily activity, and do what it says.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You have bigger issues to deal with than being at 115(a healthy weight for your height).

-bump-

^^ this - all my alarm bells are ringing on this one.
    Please see someone ASAP for help - I have been down this road myself and it's not a pretty one.

Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Another classic example of why starving yourself does not work in the long run.
    I would encourage you to talk to someone who can help you not with your weight, but with your body image.

^ What this lady said.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    from 200 cals a day to 1200 a day ... obviously u would put on weight , u initially went down to a weight that is far too low for your height then u started eating properly now your weight is right for your height . u could even gain more
  • aikidokaratefan
    aikidokaratefan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You need to see someone who treats eating disorders, because it sounds like that is the basis for your problem.
    For starters, some blood-work and a physical exam are appropriate. There can be physical and psychological causes for
    your problem. Both are treatable.

Once you learn healthy choices about what to eat, and how much to exercise, you will be able to attain a normal weight (not under or over), and feel good about yourself.

I strongly encourage you to see your health-care practitioner, and don't try to fix this yourself. If your diet is way out of balance, you could end up with electrolyte imbalance, which can lead to serious, even fatal consequences. (an example is abnormal potassium, which can cause cardiac failure).

Remember--your problem can be helped. Go do it asap.
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Just incase it's a medical issue.. book yourself in to the doctors for a blood test, and ask them to check your thyroid levels.. I had exactly the same, I've gained 2st+ since March this year for no reason.

Even if it's not that, it's best to get checked up. But like people have said, starving yourself and then eating again will cause weight gain. Best of luck :smile:
  • minimoomoo
    Options
    You lost muscle mass on your bad diet attempt. And slowed your metabolism down.

Now your metabolism is probably correct for the amount of muscle and Lean Body Mass you have currently. At least if you have been eating that amount and gaining about the same amount week after week. Probably the first few lbs gained was because the metabolism stayed suppressed before it increased slightly.

Eating more now isn't going to increase it, at least not what you are going to get now. The body only needs so many calories to perform basic metabolic functions.

So if you want to eat more now, you gotta exercise first, and then eat later to replenish glucose stores.

You now are in the interesting position of deciding how you want rest of your life to be, and what short term effects are you willing to deal with to get there.

If you want to keep eating at 800 calories for the rest of your life, knowing that eating an easy 250 more extra daily, you'll gain a lb of fat about every 2 weeks. Eat out a big amount could be about the same gain. It'll be easy to pack on the lbs now. Unless you do above and exercise first.

Or wrap your mind around the fact you need to gain some LBM and muscle mainly, and that means some potential weight gain, or at the least, no weight loss, even if inches are dropping.
    But then you can have a more normal metabolism, and be able to eat more, and if you go over your body will just burn the extra calories.

So what's it going to be?

The first is easy, go back to 800, log everything you eat so you always stay low. What a bummer of a life.

Or stop the cardio that is useless for building muscle, and lift weights as heavy as you can 3 x weekly for 60 min doing compound lifts. And eat at 1500. Only cardio is walking level on rest days at 3.5 mph for 60 min.

Use the spreadsheet linked in this topic to get an idea of current bodyfat%, and your stats to watch down the road, and follow the directions. Pick a realistic goal weight that is suggested, just in case you have an unrealistic view. Enter the above stated workout times in the right place, along with correct daily activity, and do what it says.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

Thanks to everyone for replying :) I'm now nervous about the long term damage i've caused :( How heavy should the weights be? eg. minimum weight? If i start lifting weights and eating 1500 how long do you think it will take for my weight to even out to its natural setting point? Thanks.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for replying :) I'm now nervous about the long term damage i've caused :( How heavy should the weights be? eg. minimum weight? If i start lifting weights and eating 1500 how long do you think it will take for my weight to even out to its natural setting point? Thanks.
    Okay, first things first - you are young. As a result, if you continue to eat well and exercise from now on, you don't have much to worry about.

As to weights; it depends entirely what YOU are capable of. We don't know how strong YOU are. What you need to do is begin cautiously and work your way up to weights that are challenging to YOU. Do you have access to a gym? This is a very key question you need to answer so that we can advise you on a program to follow.

As to your body image; soft flabby bits are fat, as you know. The average healthy woman has around 20% bodyfat. It is dangerous to stay long term below 14% or so, which is likely how you achieved the very unhealthy 95lbs. But here is the good news; with regular weight training at an intensity that challenges to you, you will find your dimensions shrink. Women do not bulk up - instead, it develops curves in all the right places whilst eliminating jiggle.

Also note, that comparing yourself to your mother is unlikely to be a good idea; as people age, bone density decreases leading to weightloss that you absolutely cannot see on the person. Some more than others, and if your mother has any history of abusing her body through diet she is likely to be on the more side. I don't know her or her history, however.

Good luck :)
  • minimoomoo
    Options
    Okay, first things first - you are young. As a result, if you continue to eat well and exercise from now on, you don't have much to worry about.

As to weights; it depends entirely what YOU are capable of. We don't know how strong YOU are. What you need to do is begin cautiously and work your way up to weights that are challenging to YOU. Do you have access to a gym? This is a very key question you need to answer so that we can advise you on a program to follow.

As to your body image; soft flabby bits are fat, as you know. The average healthy woman has around 20% bodyfat. It is dangerous to stay long term below 14% or so, which is likely how you achieved the very unhealthy 95lbs. But here is the good news; with regular weight training at an intensity that challenges to you, you will find your dimensions shrink. Women do not bulk up - instead, it develops curves in all the right places whilst eliminating jiggle.

Also note, that comparing yourself to your mother is unlikely to be a good idea; as people age, bone density decreases leading to weightloss that you absolutely cannot see on the person. Some more than others, and if your mother has any history of abusing her body through diet she is likely to be on the more side. I don't know her or her history, however.

Good luck :)

I don't have access to a gym in the town I live.. perhaps I should buy some weights but i don't know where to start? help me? I have 2 x 4lb hand weights but i take it they're too small..
  • heybales
    Options
    I don't have access to a gym in the town I live.. perhaps I should buy some weights but i don't know where to start? help me? I have 2 x 4lb hand weights but i take it they're too small..

That's fine, there's a slew of bodyweight exercise you can do, and home dumbbell things.

And actually, gallon milk jugs with water, or sand for heavier, can substitute until you get the basics down and know what would be a good weight to start with.
    With water that means 8.3 lbs per gallon jug if filled.

If you can do 3 sets of upper body exercises with 8-15 reps and feeling almost dead on that last rep, or maybe not even able to do it - you got the weight right. Even less reps is fine too.

For lower body, which is bigger muscles and need more weights, you do one legged stuff using body weight and those gallon jugs.

One-armed bent-over row, one-legged dead-lifts, dumbbell bench press, one-legged squats, dumbbell shoulder press, stiff-legged dead-lift, dumbbell upright row, some core work.

Every other day. 3 sets, with last few reps of last set barely able to do good form.
    Rest days is walking 30 min about 3.5 mph. Stress relief and recovery.

Proper form on above lifts.They are listed here under the muscle that is getting worked.

http://www.exrx.net/Workouts/Workout2PP.html
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Further to what Heybales has told you, don't forget the humble Push Up. Done properly it works a whole host of muscle up and down your body.
  • heybales
    Options
    Further to what Heybales has told you, don't forget the humble Push Up. Done properly it works a whole host of muscle up and down your body.

Shoot ya, and pullups if possible. Dips always nice if chairs won't squeeze together and break ribs. Probably a real concern in this case.

Dang, that does cover the whole upper body then.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    The average healthy woman has around 20% bodyfat.

Just wanted to correct something in your post - 20% body fat on a woman is far better than 'average healthy'. Average healthy falls more likely falls in the 21-25% range. 20% is still the athlete range.

Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart1.jpg
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Be careful because this can lead to an eating disorder. Your metabolism is shot because of your restricted calories so all you can do is eat healthy, get your 1200 calories in and exercise. if you exercise you WONT feel flabby because you'll be toned and you always feel beetter. But don't be an exercise fanatic.. do it to feel good stop obsession about calories!!! Maybe do something more with your life so you can stop focusing on this.. life's to short to get caught up in weight that's just silly.
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Sweetie, eat healthy the best you can, and incorporate at least 3 times a week cardio with 3 or 5lb weight exercise. Something like Jillian Michaels workout CD or anyhing else that looks interesting to you. You need to gain muscle, it will burn your calories and it will keep you healthy and strong.

The second thing, find a place where you can volunteer for less fortunate - homeless shelter, hospital, soup kitchen. It will make you appreciate what you have, and realize issues that you are stressing over are really not that big compared to what other people have to deal with.