Barbell Hip thrusts.

Options

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    If I looked like that, I'd be doing nothing else.

Hot damn.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'd spot her.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    will you spot me?

hahahah got a mental picture.. too funny...
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I'm the only one that does them in my gym. I do get some funny looks, but I think it's mostly because it's still a pretty rare exercise.

^^^ This guy got me doing these many months ago, although I use 25-40lb dumbbells on each hip since I don't have a barbell at home. Love them.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I'm the only one that does them in my gym. I do get some funny looks, but I think it's mostly because it's still a pretty rare exercise.

i did them for the first time on friday @ 135lbs. the men around me gave me some weird looks, and one or two looked like they thought i was hurting myself and wanted to come to help me.

the women on the other hand were salivating.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Have seen it a few times. Only with the powerlifter looking types.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I do them. I look up at the ceiling and do not make eye contact with anyone while I do, but I do them.

Try doing pullthoughs - I think they are more embarrassing as its harder to avoid eye contact with anyone and you are usually in the middle of the gym.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

i did them for the first time on friday @ 135lbs. the men around me gave me some weird looks, and one or two looked like they thought i was hurting myself and wanted to come to help me.

LOL, I was sitting under the bar one time, resting between sets, and a guy approached me and asked if I needed help getting up.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

LOL, I was sitting under the bar one time, resting between sets, and a guy approached me and asked if I needed help getting up.

i was doing the same!!! I was sitting with my legs under the bar, leaning back against the bench, breathing heavy, guy gave me a quick look and started walking over, but then i started my next set so i guess he put two and two together.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    A girl in my gym does them. One time she was doing them just behind where I was doing deadlifts, and from the mirror in front of me, it looked like she was humping my leg. I got the giggles and had to stop.

But then, I giggle a fair bit at the gym.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have to try that
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I used to love doing these (and hip thrusts on the yoga ball, and backbends- stretching but the stretch area was adjacent to the lifting area so..) at the gym. I work out at home now so it's not as fun.. :-) hah
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Is there a variation using dumbbells? I'd like to try it, but I don't have a set of barbells yet, and I don't go to a gym.

Anyone?

I'd guess just put the dumbbells in your lap somehow. I did it with plates first.

That might be easier than doing it with the dumbbells. At least until I can get my barbells...

*makes mental note to start writing Santa letter*

Nia shanks has some bodyweight variations - you can do 1 and a half reps, 1 legs, etc. AFter that yeah. Put a plate or dumbell on your hips. maybe pad the dumbbell with a towel. They're fairly difficult even bodyweight, if you do 1 leg + 1.5 rep motions. I mean at some point you'll need to add weight but you could get some mileage out of bodyweight for a while
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have to try that

I have to watch that
  • Shaybug
    Shaybug Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I do them. I look up at the ceiling and do not make eye contact with anyone while I do, but I do them.

Try doing pullthoughs - I think they are more embarrassing as its harder to avoid eye contact with anyone and you are usually in the middle of the gym.

I did my first set of pullthroughs today and felt ridiculous. BUT I finished my sets....blushing and sweating in sync.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Going to try these - they look great for hams and glutes!
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've done them and definitely got some odd looks since I've never seen anyone at my gym doing them before. They are HIGHLY effective for the glutes/hams, so strange looks won't stop me!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I did them last week for the first time. I need to get some kind of pad for my bar before I do them again.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I did them last week for the first time. I need to get some kind of pad for my bar before I do them again.

This is what you want: http://www.amazon.com/Hampton-International-Bar-Pad-Extra/dp/B002G5PD1I
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

This is what you want: http://www.amazon.com/Hampton-International-Bar-Pad-Extra/dp/B002G5PD1I

That's the one. That sumb!tch hurt after a while.