Question about heart and lung muscles

Options
Hey everyone :) So I know that when you lift weights and work say your biceps really hard, you are supposed to have a rest day to let the muscles repair.

My question is, does the same go for cardio, and the lungs and heart?

Someone like me who very rarely has had my heart pounding out of my chest, and breathing like a walrus... lol do these muscles need repair time too at the beginning or is it cool to go hard everyday with the cardio?

Probably a dumb question, but I'd sure like an answer! lol

Thanks!
-Lauren

Replies

• EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    If you're new to cardio I would say take a rest day until your body gets more used to it. Even super fit people take one rest day a week to let your body recover. You can alternate weights and cardio days and take one day completely free a week (maybe a walk but nothing strenuous) is usually a good plan. xx

ETA - if your not in any pain then feel free to go hard on consecutive days though - your body will tell you when it needs a rest and you should listen! xx
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Alright :) thanks for your response, makes sense to me! I just didn't want to have heart attack on the treadmill or something.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Your heart and your lungs get a break when you die. They are used to working hard, all the time. You don't need to take a day off unless you have health problems. Yes, sometimes your body does need a break, but getting into the "I can only exercise every other day" mentality will lead to defeat. If you have time to work out again tomorrow, do it. If you're worried about whether or not your body can handle exercise, you should definitely speak to a doctor before doing ANY exercise program.
  • hannahlbur
    hannahlbur Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above - your heart and lungs are very efficient and will adapt to stresses placed upon them. The whole point of CV is to improve the efficiency of your cardiovascular system. Think you should only be alarmed if you ever experience pain. Check with you Dr if you are worried.
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    Thanks you guys :) I wasn't really worried per say, just curious, and a little cautious, being a beginner to really pushing myself :) I have no problem with doing the cardio everyday, in fact I WANT to, and have been, which is why I was double checking. Thanks again!

Lauren
  • kimharper13
    Options
    The reason you have to let your muscles rest when you weight lift is because weight-bearing activity increases the friction between sliding fibers and breaks down the outside layer of utilized fibers. Minor fiber breakdown during weight lifting is a natural and desired outcome -- as long as adequate rest permits mending. While training promotes breakdown, or muscle catabolism, resting enables building, or muscle anabolism -- your main goal for muscle hypertrophy.
    When you are doing cardio, even though your heart is beating like crazy and your chest muscles and diaphragm are working hard to bring in that O2 you do not cause the fiber breakage that weight training do. So you can do cardio every day. However, if it's something you are new to then resting to allow your body to recover is NOT a bad thing. You don't want to burn yourself out. :smile:
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    The reason you have to let your muscles rest when you weight lift is because weight-bearing activity increases the friction between sliding fibers and breaks down the outside layer of utilized fibers. Minor fiber breakdown during weight lifting is a natural and desired outcome -- as long as adequate rest permits mending. While training promotes breakdown, or muscle catabolism, resting enables building, or muscle anabolism -- your main goal for muscle hypertrophy.
    When you are doing cardio, even though your heart is beating like crazy and your chest muscles and diaphragm are working hard to bring in that O2 you do not cause the fiber breakage that weight training do. So you can do cardio every day. However, if it's something you are new to then resting to allow your body to recover is NOT a bad thing. You don't want to burn yourself out. :smile:

Thank you for this explanation! :)